Bluetooth 4.0 dongle not detecting my device

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
1 minute ago, iVictory Victor said:

1. Thanks so much for being so helpful and considerate
2. Thanks for the advise, you're amazing, I think I'll return these tomorrow or when I get back to the store and try the one's you suggested to me
3. Yes, that's how my screen looks like, like in the picture when trying to pair.

Sounds like a plan. I don't mean to rain on your Bluetooth parade either by the way - I've just found that many off-brand dongles and/or no-name Bluetooth devices can be very fickle when it comes to working as advertised, so it's worth trying different models of products from different manufacturers to determine where the problem is.

Hello, So I bought a USB 4.0 Dongle for my desktop windows 10 PC and to use with my bluetooth headphones, but they just don't get recognised/found by the bluetooth searching protocol. There are no drivers or stacks to install. I tried making the Bluetooth support service automatic and logging on as local system account in services. Nothing works, Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, iVictory Victor said:

Hello, So I bought a USB 4.0 Dongle for my desktop windows 10 PC and to use with my bluetooth headphones, but they just don't get recognised/found by the bluetooth searching protocol. There are no drivers or stacks to install. I tried making the Bluetooth support service automatic and logging on as local system account in services. Nothing works, Thanks in advance!

Can you link to the exact dongle you purchased? Sounds like either a) the dongle needs drivers, b) it's not compatible with Windows 10, or c) it's borke, jim.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Can you link to the exact dongle you purchased? Sounds like either a) the dongle needs drivers, b) it's not compatible with Windows 10, or b) it's borke, jim.

https://ro.hama.com/00049218/hama-bluetooth-usb-adapter-version-40-c2-+-edr

no it doesn't need drivers, as i said, i even tried manually installing them but it doesn't need them, it even says on the box, "The drivers or software for your Hama product are already integrated into Windows 10" is what it says "not additional drivers or stacks"

3 minutes ago, iVictory Victor said:

https://ro.hama.com/00049218/hama-bluetooth-usb-adapter-version-40-c2-+-edr

no it doesn't need drivers, as i said, i even tried manually installing them but it doesn't need them, it even says on the box, "The drivers or software for your Hama product are already integrated into Windows 10" is what it says "not additional drivers or stacks"

Gotcha, in that case if the dongle doesn't show up in your device manager at all, I'd say it's defective. Even if the drivers weren't properly working, Windows should at least detect the dongle as an unidentified device in device manager, usually displaying a yellow triangle beside the name.

Have you confirmed if it shows in device manager? If it does show and Windows even thinks you have Bluetooth, I'd attempt pairing another device to rule out an incompatibility with just those specific headphones. Also, be sure your headphones are in pairing mode when searching for them.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Is the bluetooth dongle not showing up in device manager, or is settings just not finding the bluetooth headphones? If it is the latter, try pairing a different bluetooth device other than the headphones to the dongle, as well as pairing the headphones to a different device such as a phone. 

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Gotcha, in that case if the dongle doesn't show up in your device manager at all, I'd say it's defective. Even if the drivers weren't properly working, Windows should at least detect the dongle as an unidentified device in device manager, usually displaying a yellow triangle beside the name.

Have you confirmed if it shows in device manager? If it does show and Windows even thinks you have Bluetooth, I'd attempt pairing another device to rule out an incompatibility with just those specific headphones. Also, be sure your headphones are in pairing mode when searching for them.

it shows eprfectly in the device manager, and everything seems to be A-ok with the dongle, except when i turn on the bluetooth and go to search for my turned on headphones, they just don't get detected. they work just fine on my phone. And yes, when I turn them on the robot-lady says 𝙿𝙾𝚆𝙴𝚁 𝙾𝙽 𝙱𝙰𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁𝚈 𝟻𝟶%, 𝙱𝙻𝚄𝙴𝚃𝙾𝙾𝚃𝙷 𝙿𝙰𝙸𝚁𝙸𝙽𝙶. so idk

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Is the bluetooth dongle not showing up in device manager, or is settings just not finding the bluetooth headphones? If it is the latter, try pairing a different bluetooth device other than the headphones to the dongle, as well as pairing the headphones to a different device such as a phone. 

The headphones work fine on my phone, and i don't think i have any other bluetooth device around the house to test this out with.... Oh actually i have my phone, andddd it shows up in the settings device list on my pc but when i click on it to pair it up it just says it didn't work 

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

it shows eprfectly in the device manager, and everything seems to be A-ok with the dongle, except when i turn on the bluetooth and go to search for my turned on headphones, they just don't get detected. they work just fine on my phone. And yes, when I turn them on the robot-lady says 𝙿𝙾𝚆𝙴𝚁 𝙾𝙽 𝙱𝙰𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁𝚈 𝟻𝟶%, 𝙱𝙻𝚄𝙴𝚃𝙾𝙾𝚃𝙷 𝙿𝙰𝙸𝚁𝙸𝙽𝙶. so idk

ALSO, when i try and pair up my phone to the PC it shows up in the list in my settings, but when i click on it, it doesn't work and just says that something went wrong so idk

5 minutes ago, iVictory Victor said:

The headphones work fine on my phone, and i don't think i have any other bluetooth device around the house to test this out with.... Oh actually i have my phone, andddd it shows up in the settings device list on my pc but when i click on it to pair it up it just says it didn't work 

Hmmm interesting. Other than trying to pair another known good working Bluetooth device, such as a Bluetooth speaker, mouse, or keyboard, I can't see why the headphones won't show up in Windows 10's Add A Device screen when they're in pairing mode.

Since you've just confirmed your phone shows up in the list of devices when its' nearby, that tells us the dongle is working with your Windows installation, narrowing the problem down to being an incompatibility between the headphones and the dongle. (Sidebar: Bluetooth devices might show in the list but fail to pair if Windows doesn't know what to do with them, hence why your phone might show up, but not actually pair.)

I'd try another model of Bluetooth dongle from a name-brand manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link. This will tell you straight away if the problem is the headphones or if it's the off-bran dongle you bought that doesn't like the headphones. (This is also why I refuse to use Bluetooth unless there's no other option - 20 years in and it's still far too unreliable for my needs.)

image.png.69d68d3c13aa8a2a7d0fa3d46b9434c7.png

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Hmmm interesting. Other than trying to pair another known good working Bluetooth device, such as a Bluetooth speaker, mouse, or keyboard, I can't see why the headphones won't show up in Windows 10's Add A Device screen when they're in pairing mode. Since you've just confirmed your phone shows up in the list of device when its' nearby, that tells us the dongle is working with your Windows installation, narrowing the problem down to being an incompatibility between the headphones and the dongle.

I'd try another model of Bluetooth dongle from a name-brand manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link. This will tell you straight away if the problem is the headphones or if it's the off-bran dongle you bought that doesn't like the headphones. (This is also why I refuse to use Bluetooth unless there's no other option - 20 years in and it's still far too unreliable for my needs.)

2. Thanks for the advise, you're amazing, I think I'll return these tomorrow or when I get back to the store and try the one's you suggested to me
3. Yes, that's how my screen looks like, like in the picture when trying to pair.
3/

1 minute ago, iVictory Victor said:

Sounds like a plan. I don't mean to rain on your Bluetooth parade either by the way - I've just found that many off-brand dongles and/or no-name Bluetooth devices can be very fickle when it comes to working as advertised, so it's worth trying different models of products from different manufacturers to determine where the problem is.

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Hmmm interesting. Other than trying to pair another known good working Bluetooth device, such as a Bluetooth speaker, mouse, or keyboard, I can't see why the headphones won't show up in Windows 10's Add A Device screen when they're in pairing mode. Since you've just confirmed your phone shows up in the list of device when its' nearby, that tells us the dongle is working with your Windows installation, narrowing the problem down to being an incompatibility between the headphones and the dongle.

Just now, iVictory Victor said:

3/

sent the thing by accident i wanted to keep typing =)))

it even doesn't work if i do like an indan guy told me on youtube and mess around with some services settings in windows and change the log on to local system or something so idk BUT THANKS A TON HAVE A GREAT YEAR

Just now, kirashi said:

yes, i think the real moral of the story is, look around carefully before you buy ANYTHING

On 1/3/2021 at 1:59 AM, kirashi said:

Just got it going, it had something to do with some registry things idk. But I just realized that 3 mb ps is too little for audio stream and it sounds really choppy, so I'm returning it for a higher bitrate one. Thanks for all of the tips anyway you are amazing! Everything was connecting now!