is there a way to mount a racing wheel on a desk that is this thick????

RTX 3070 I7 11800h

read the title I want to get a g920 so I was wandering if it would fit with a desk like this MICKE Desk, white, 105x50 cm - Shop here - IKEA

It will fit but I would recommend you get one that actually doesn't have a drawer on the bottom of like, the main point of the drawer where your chair and pedals will go (depending on the mount of the g902, you could be ok but again it's what I would recommend)

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

2 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

read the title I want to get a g920 so I was wandering if it would fit with a desk like this MICKE Desk, white, 105x50 cm - Shop here - IKEA

I suspect you'd need to remove the large draw in the middle, where your legs will go under. 

Of course, if you are willing or able, I suspect you can fix it to the top with screws or something so it's actually fixed onto the desk surface rather than clamping between the top and underside...if you see what I mean?

That will allow you to fix the wheel to the desk and then you can slide forward and place your pedals in a comfortable position. 

It's all about where you can sit comfortably, where your pedals will go etc...

Is the desk yours, so you can do whatever it takes to make it work?

(even if it means cutting, screwing stuff to it etc...)

7 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I suspect you'd need to remove the large draw in the middle, where your legs will go under. 

Of course, if you are willing or able, I suspect you can fix it to the top with screws or something so it's actually fixed onto the desk surface rather than clamping between the top and underside...if you see what I mean?

That will allow you to fix the wheel to the desk and then you can slide forward and place your pedals in a comfortable position. 

It's all about where you can sit comfortably, where your pedals will go etc...

Is the desk yours, so you can do whatever it takes to make it work?

(even if it means cutting, screwing stuff to it etc...)

10 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

It will fit but I would recommend you get one that actually doesn't have a drawer on the bottom of like, the main point of the drawer where your chair and pedals will go (depending on the mount of the g902, you could be ok but again it's what I would recommend)

The pedals are gonna be in a comfortable location and the shifter is going near my mouse mat so this is what Ill do (tell me if it works) the draw is pretty stable and if you pull up on it it has alot of weight in it and its about 10 pounds of force to pull it up so I dont think it will pull it up (and makes my face red everytime I do lol) anyways I will remove this cynosa chroma v2 and put it on my bed (dont worry I have a laptop and I will be fine without a external keyboard) I will mount it on the drawer image.png.281c2d37078511c3553e2fa9bd1ad013.png

right there and then I will put the pedals at the bottom because this desk is not very high, the shifter near my mouse. will this work?

EDIT: oh yea will the shifter work on the desk that thick too?

47 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

oh yea will the shifter work on the desk that thick too?

Does the shifter also use a horizontal clamp, like the steering wheel? Because I'd say that won't be too comfortable.

Normally in a car, your shifter is a lot lower, more around hip level, while your steering wheels is normally quite a bit above that.

I wouldn't mount a steering wheel or shifter to that desk if you can't remove the drawer. With the drawer, they wouldn't be able to affix securely.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, minibois said:

Does the shifter also use a horizontal clamp, like the steering wheel? Because I'd say that won't be too comfortable.

Normally in a car, your shifter is a lot lower, more around hip level, while your steering wheels is normally quite a bit above that.

I wouldn't mount a steering wheel or shifter to that desk if you can't remove the drawer. With the drawer, they wouldn't be able to affix securely.

I wont get the shifter but will the g920 wheels fit?

EDIT: the drawer is 12cm from top to bottom (including the table)

I think mounting it to the drawer is a really bad idea.  The runners the drawer slides on will be a weak point, and I suspect you will pop the drawer off of its rails on a regular basis, if not actually breaking them. Do you have even basic carpentry skills? You could make a bracket that clamps to the desk surface that you can mount the wheel on to push it out past the drawer, and then bolt the wheel to that. Use some clamps to secure your bracket to the desk and it would be pretty solid.

2 minutes ago, Warin said:

I think mounting it to the drawer is a really bad idea.  The runners the drawer slides on will be a weak point, and I suspect you will pop the drawer off of its rails on a regular basis, if not actually breaking them. Do you have even basic carpentry skills? You could make a bracket that clamps to the desk surface that you can mount the wheel on to push it out past the drawer, and then bolt the wheel to that. Use some clamps to secure your bracket to the desk and it would be pretty solid.

ok, I will find a way to avoid it

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you wanted a really janky DIY solution which I used for ages, you could use a scrap plank of wood clamped onto the table using G-Clamps with a little bit overhanging, then clamp the wheel to that.

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Hey i have the same desk and planning to get a thrustmaster you can build tuue middle drawer and take it out when you want to use the wheel thats what im planning to do