Asus ROG Strix B550 F-Gaming wifi vs MSI B550 Tomahawk need help

Hi,

Im deciding what motherboard to get with my ryzen 3600 and later on probably 5900x or anything newer from the latest AM4 before the AM5.

I was already certain to go with the asus, but I've read some topics about RAM XMP issues. I will be using 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 or 3600 MHz CL17 kingston Hyper FuryX or Predator.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121528-B550-F-DOCP-XMP-Profile-problem-Can-t-tune-RAM-s-to-3600Mhz

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1254019-ram-issues-zen-2-asus-b550-f-gaming-3600mhz-crucial/

So which motherboard would you pick, for better stability and other features ? I will answer for more specific questions of course regarding my use/requirements. I've read that Asus one doesn't have VRM thermal sensor, no PCIe thermal sensor, no B550 chipset sensor. The VRM is also worse than in MSI ?

I like the that MSI has more fan headers, would Asus handle 2x140mm fans with a y-splitter okey so I can plug more than 4 fans ?

34 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Hi,

Im deciding what motherboard to get with my ryzen 3600 and later on probably 5900x or anything newer from the latest AM4 before the AM5.

I was already certain to go with the asus, but I've read some topics about RAM XMP issues. I will be using 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 or 3600 MHz CL17 kingston Hyper FuryX or Predator.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121528-B550-F-DOCP-XMP-Profile-problem-Can-t-tune-RAM-s-to-3600Mhz

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1254019-ram-issues-zen-2-asus-b550-f-gaming-3600mhz-crucial/

So which motherboard would you pick, for better stability and other features ? I will answer for more specific questions of course regarding my use/requirements. I've read that Asus one doesn't have VRM thermal sensor, no PCIe thermal sensor, no B550 chipset sensor. The VRM is also worse than in MSI ?

I like the that MSI has more fan headers, would Asus handle 2x140mm fans with a y-splitter okey so I can plug more than 4 fans ?

Go for whatever you like best in terms of features. VRM won't matter mutch unless you plan on OC, in which case X570 would be a more reasonable choice to begin with. The standard headers are usually rated for 2 A each. Running multiple fans should not be problem but you want to use the same fans as the fan profile sees them as one fan.

1 hour ago, BunnyKraken said:

Hi,

You can find issues with every board out there, I would go tomahawk over the -F.

But they both have some minor draw backs. 

Tomahawk only has 5 usb out back. I personally think that extra 1Gb nic is a waste, and the hdmi port is not 2.1. So if you wanted to relegate this to a little media rig one day it's not ideal.

The Asus doesn't have a usb-c header for cases and yeah seems to have fewer fan headers. Also more expensive.

At the end of the day you need to figure out what features you need. Like wifi6 is really nice to have but don't pay for it if you're just going to cable your pc in anyways.

I had ordered the tomahawk but cancelled it for a b550-E I found for a good deal.

7 hours ago, Nakedpeanut said:

You can find issues with every board out there, I would go tomahawk over the -F.

But they both have some minor draw backs. 

Tomahawk only has 5 usb out back. I personally think that extra 1Gb nic is a waste, and the hdmi port is not 2.1. So if you wanted to relegate this to a little media rig one day it's not ideal.

The Asus doesn't have a usb-c header for cases and yeah seems to have fewer fan headers. Also more expensive.

At the end of the day you need to figure out what features you need. Like wifi6 is really nice to have but don't pay for it if you're just going to cable your pc in anyways.

I had ordered the tomahawk but cancelled it for a b550-E I found for a good deal.

Thanks for your reply, yup I asume every product will have some issues. The price for both motherboard is the same currently.

Fewer fan headers and the XMP issues with asus is my main concern at the moment. I feel that tomahawk might be more stable overall, but asus might have better bios/software perhaps.

What do you think about the soundchips, could the asus version have more potential update problems ?

4 hours ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for your reply, yup I asume every product will have some issues. The price for both motherboard is the same currently.

Fewer fan headers and the XMP issues with asus is my main concern at the moment. I feel that tomahawk might be more stable overall, but asus might have better bios/software perhaps.

What do you think about the soundchips, could the asus version have more potential update problems ?

Asus is very good with updates, you can check the support page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Their audio is decent, but I've not done any back to back testing.

I've had no issues with the boards I've bought from asus (5 in 6 years all intel though). I'm yet to get the new one though

I'm really happy with my B550 Tomahawk. I was looking at the same Asus board for my home PC, been using Asus products ever since my A7N8X Deluxe (Athlon XP, baby!)

The only reason I went with the MSI board instead was because it has an internal USB 3.2 gen 2 type C header for my case, and I've never used an MSI motherboard before and wanted to see what the hubbub was about based on how many people liked the B450 Tomahawk..

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

5 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

I'm really happy with my B550 Tomahawk. I was looking at the same Asus board for my home PC, been using Asus products ever since my A7N8X Deluxe (Athlon XP, baby!)

The only reason I went with the MSI board instead was because it has an internal USB 3.2 gen 2 type C header for my case, and I've never used an MSI motherboard before and wanted to see what the hubbub was about based on how many people liked the B450 Tomahawk..

Thanks for your reply, im also moving towards the B550 tomahawk, I just don't like that it has so few usb ports, but I just have to get a usb hub then...

I've read on other forums that the F-Gaming B550 has some RAM issues even with the newest BIOS so im very hesitant to buy it, and Im still not sure about x570 MOBO fan so would like to go with B550.

Im also considering the MSI Gaming edge/carbon WIFI.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, Applefreak said:

Go for whatever you like best in terms of features. VRM won't matter mutch unless you plan on OC, in which case X570 would be a more reasonable choice to begin with. 

How so ? Both of the B550 boards mentioned are perfectly capable of handling an overclocked 5900X.

I cant comment on the MSI, I have never owned one before. But the Strix B550 is a good board too. This is my first Ryzen setup and it is very user friendly, and pretty easy to clock too. No regrets here. Not sure about memory issues.. the ram and nvme's I bought were on their QVL and it was all plug and play.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

6 hours ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for your reply, im also moving towards the B550 tomahawk, I just don't like that it has so few usb ports, but I just have to get a usb hub then...

I've read on other forums that the F-Gaming B550 has some RAM issues even with the newest BIOS so im very hesitant to buy it, and Im still not sure about x570 MOBO fan so would like to go with B550.

Im also considering the MSI Gaming edge/carbon WIFI.

I'm running 4x8GB @ 3600CL16, worked out of the box, just needed to enable XMP. 

Don't get the gaming edge/carbon wifi. The carbon or the edge in the Hammer On Box testing didn't even keep the VRM's in check running stock. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

On 1/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, Action_Johnson said:

I'm running 4x8GB @ 3600CL16, worked out of the box, just needed to enable XMP. 

Don't get the gaming edge/carbon wifi. The carbon or the edge in the Hammer On Box testing didn't even keep the VRM's in check running stock. 

Was just looking at the Gaming Carbon Wifi, it has couple more features than Tomahawk. But if its worse than Tomahawk for stability then I might pass.

So I've narrowed it down, to 

Asus E-gaming  I've read there has been some ethernet port issues with older F Gaming versions, and alot of DRAM problem topics lately. Would you think that E Gaming would have those figured out, or are they basically the same ?

MSI Tomahawk Seems like a good all rounder, only think im missing is 1-2 more PCI slots and better audio codec instead of Realtek 1200

MSI Carbon Wifi Feels like it has to offer a little more slots, but now im afraid of the VRM.

I have the carbon wifi and have zero issues with it. Left my 5800x at stock so far and temps are perfectly fine, XMP runs without issue on my Corsair 3600 CL18 kit. Wifi and bluetooth on this are great, I'm glad I paid the extra as my Sony BT headphones pair instantly and sound much better vs my old usb adapter. I hardly use my speakers so if you're just after good audio Tomahawk may be better. 

Looking at your posts I'd recommend this board (I haven't used any others so can't compare)
Loads of fan headers
Loads of USB
XMP works fine

Wifi is a nice to have as you can't move your PC around without worrying about ethernet, this also have 2.5Gig LAN, not that you'll ever use that bandwidth. 

23 minutes ago, Craggzoid said:

I have the carbon wifi and have zero issues with it. Left my 5800x at stock so far and temps are perfectly fine, XMP runs without issue on my Corsair 3600 CL18 kit. Wifi and bluetooth on this are great, I'm glad I paid the extra as my Sony BT headphones pair instantly and sound much better vs my old usb adapter. I hardly use my speakers so if you're just after good audio Tomahawk may be better. 

Looking at your posts I'd recommend this board (I haven't used any others so can't compare)
Loads of fan headers
Loads of USB
XMP works fine

Wifi is a nice to have as you can't move your PC around without worrying about ethernet, this also have 2.5Gig LAN, not that you'll ever use that bandwidth. 

Thanks for your time to reply. I'm in between Asus E-gaming and MSI Carbon Wifi now. I just realized fractal design has a fan hub so makes it much more easier than using molex/Mobo fan headers.

My concern with E-gaming is that i've read about the 2.5G intel LAN issues, and im not sure if they are software or hardware, and are the newest releases still affected by it. I like the Asus software much more than MSI and I think Asus has better audio chip/software. Otherwise MSI carbon looks like a good pick. So would like the one with the least amount of problems. 

Can't say I've noticed any issues so far. Either option seems a good choice and if you like the Asus software then I'd say go for that.

If sound is a concern, you can always use a sound card, or an external DAC. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like the Sound Blaster Z I've got in my computer. Replaced my old X-Fi back in 2012, and it's still kicking and sounding great almost a decade later.