Ram Issues Zen 2 (ASUS B550-F Gaming + 3600mhz Crucial)

2ot

Hey there, I would've done some more troubleshooting before posting here if I had the time but I have to drive back to college tomorrow and won't be back home within 15 days to return any components to Microcenter if needed.

System:

Ryzen 5 3600

ASUS B550-F Gaming (WiFi)

Crucial Ballistix Gaming 3600Mhz (2x16GB)

Inland Premium 2TB NVME SSD

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

EVGA GA 750W

The issue I am getting is that the system is booting in non-DOCP (2666Mhz) mode with two sticks perfectly but then if I try changing to DOCP, the ASUS default settings result in the next boot cycle getting stuck on the amber RAM LED. The only way to get the system to boot again is if I take out the CMOS battery (is there a faster way to reset BIOS?).

I have updated chipset and BIOS to the latest version.

I also encountered an error on the built in memtest for Ryzen DRAM Calculator, with MEMbench: Memtest. I'm assuming this knowledge doesn't narrow it down much? 

I have not tried different slots yet, I'm going to try loosening the CPU cooler a bit and trying to boot in DOCP, if that doesn't work then I will have to play with it a bit more tomorrow. Should I try single slot 3600Mhz? My cooler is massive and my PC is mounted on my wall so maintenance sucks. 

4 hours ago, 2ot said:

Hey there, I would've done some more troubleshooting before posting here if I had the time but I have to drive back to college tomorrow and won't be back home within 15 days to return any components to Microcenter if needed.

System:

Ryzen 5 3600

ASUS B550-F Gaming (WiFi)

Crucial Ballistix Gaming 3600Mhz (2x16GB)

Inland Premium 2TB NVME SSD

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

EVGA GA 750W

The issue I am getting is that the system is booting in non-DOCP (2666Mhz) mode with two sticks perfectly but then if I try changing to DOCP, the ASUS default settings result in the next boot cycle getting stuck on the amber RAM LED. The only way to get the system to boot again is if I take out the CMOS battery (is there a faster way to reset BIOS?).

I have updated chipset and BIOS to the latest version.

I also encountered an error on the built in memtest for Ryzen DRAM Calculator, with MEMbench: Memtest. I'm assuming this knowledge doesn't narrow it down much? 

I have not tried different slots yet, I'm going to try loosening the CPU cooler a bit and trying to boot in DOCP, if that doesn't work then I will have to play with it a bit more tomorrow. Should I try single slot 3600Mhz? My cooler is massive and my PC is mounted on my wall so maintenance sucks. 

Seems like it was not the cooler at all, I tried with my big ole heatsink just chilling on the cpu (same RAM slots) and I think I figured it out after some time.

I think I have a dud CPU because my memory runs perfectly fine at 3600Mhz but when I up FLCK to match it (1800Mhz), my system does not boot at all. The highest I've been able to take flck is 1500Mhz on 1.1V SOC. I think I will return the CPU to Microcenter and try my luck with a new 3600.

I don't think I am overreacting by doing this either. It's pretty ridiculous that I can't even run 3200Mhz memory. Could this be anything but the CPU if it only crashes on higher FLCK?