Searching for AMD and Intel NAS barebones

VintageGamer

What recommendations do you have for hardware for the following NAS build?

I want to build a new NAS using low wattage AMD Athlon, AMD Ryzen embedded or Intel Celeron CPUs. Newegg and other common online retailers did not have diskless systems using these processors. I can custom build if needed. Minimal specs for the build would be capable of using at least six SATA hard drives or SSDs, 4 GB RAM, either of these CPUs, a small case and Windows 10 Professional. Quite operation is also critical as this will be next to my desk and main computer.

HP Proliant Microservers are similiar to what I am looking for, yet they only support four SATA drives and uses an Intel Xeon processor which uses more electricity than I would like to use.

https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/servers/proliant-microserver/c/4237916

1 minute ago, VintageGamer said:

diskless systems using these processors

There's a reason for that. It's unneeded.

1 minute ago, VintageGamer said:

Windows 10 Professional.

overkill.

NAS devices are bespoke systems to do one thing and one thing only, serve files and keep redundancy.

Anything else is pointless

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

There's a reason for that. It's unneeded.

overkill.

NAS devices are bespoke systems to do one thing and one thing only, serve files and keep redundancy.

Anything else is pointless

This NAS would also be running Java servers and I have some file utilities that need either Windows or Ubuntu. so it's not overkill or pointless.

Just now, VintageGamer said:

Java servers

Java?

Not on a NAS, you are applying the wrong solution to the problem here.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it need to be barbones or can you go full diy? id go with something like a ds380, or anouther small desktop tower.

Excellent recommendation for the case, this would be perfect for the DIY. If I go with a case such as thisI just need to find the low power CPUs and either a motherboard with a lot of SATA, a good SATA PCIe expansion card, or a cheap HBA card.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Java?

Not on a NAS, you are applying the wrong solution to the problem here.

Radium_Angel, quit trolling this thread. A NAS commonly can run additional servers and services, such as media servers or game servers and even NAS manufacturers advertise this feature. If you do not have anything constructive to post then don't post.

2 minutes ago, VintageGamer said:

Excellent recommendation for the case, this would be perfect for the DIY. If I go with a case such as thisI just need to find the low power CPUs and either a motherboard with a lot of SATA, a good SATA PCIe expansion card, or a cheap HBA card.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452

How about a board like this https://www.newegg.com/asrock-c3758d4i-4l-intel-atom-c3758-series-processor-8-core-25w/p/N82E16813140012

Low power, lots of sata ports(13 of em), impi, reasonble amount of cpu power.

7 minutes ago, VintageGamer said:

Radium_Angel, quit trolling this thread. A NAS commonly can run additional servers and services, such as media servers or game servers and even NAS manufacturers advertise this feature. If you do not have anything constructive to post then don't post.

I believe we are talking two different things.

To me, this is a NAS

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=nas&N=100158125&isdeptsrh=1

None of those, to my knowledge, run anything other than a custom "OS"

What I think you are looking for, is a server that does double duty as a NAS, correct?

If this is what you are looking for, there are a new boards out there that run low-power "embedded" CPUs, but most are in the ITX range.

4 minutes ago, VintageGamer said:

A NAS is "Network attached Storage". An appliance built primarily for storage. What you're looking for is a server, not just a storage box ;)

Also, it's best practice to split up tasks on a machine by means of virtualization and not run everything on the same operating environment at the same time.

If you're attached to Windows, I suppose Hyper-V will do. It has support for Windows and Linux, so that should be good enough.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I believe we are talking two different things.

To me, this is a NAS

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=nas&N=100158125&isdeptsrh=1

None of those, to my knowledge, run anything other than a custom "OS"

What I think you are looking for, is a server that does double duty as a NAS, correct?

If this is what you are looking for, there are a new boards out there that run low-power "embedded" CPUs, but most are in the ITX range.

Embedded low power ITX would be a good option

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about a board like this https://www.newegg.com/asrock-c3758d4i-4l-intel-atom-c3758-series-processor-8-core-25w/p/N82E16813140012

Low power, lots of sata ports(13 of em), impi, reasonble amount of cpu power.

That is a nice board. The mini SAS connectors are a nice feature too.

the passmark score is reasonable for the low wattage, and rates better than a lot of the Intel NUCs under $300.

2 minutes ago, VintageGamer said:

That is a nice board. The mini SAS connectors are a nice feature too.

the passmark score is reasonable for the low wattage, and rates better than a lot of the Intel NUCs under $300.

There are a lot of simmilar boards out there. Things like xeon d are a option if you want more compute power, and some have built in 10gbe if that matters to you.

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

A NAS is "Network attached Storage". An appliance built primarily for storage. What you're looking for is a server, not just a storage box ;)

Also, it's best practice to split up tasks on a machine by means of virtualization and not run everything on the same operating environment at the same time.

If you're attached to Windows, I suppose Hyper-V will do. It has support for Windows and Linux, so that should be good enough.

I agree it is best to split out servers to separate machines. This machine isn’t going to be using a heavy load on the CPU so it doesn’t make sense to have multiple bare metal machines.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are a lot of simmilar boards out there. Things like xeon d are a option if you want more compute power, and some have built in 10gbe if that matters to you.

10 GB isn’t yet in my home. I currently have 1 GB cat 5e and wireless AC installed in my house. This network speed is good for my current usage. I would like to eventually upgrade to 10 GB.

5 minutes ago, VintageGamer said:

10 GB isn’t yet in my home. I currently have 1 GB cat 5e and wireless AC installed in my house. This network speed is good for my current usage. I would like to eventually upgrade to 10 GB.

As @Electronics Wizardy said, the Xeon D's kind of rule the roost when it comes to x86-compatible embedded board, but if you are looking for something....different...check these out (embedded AMD)

and

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

As @Electronics Wizardy said, the Xeon D's kind of rule the roost when it comes to x86-compatible embedded board, but if you are looking for something....different...check these out (embedded AMD)

If you really want amd practically, there isn't too many options. There also much more rare on the market compared to the intel options. The althons based off xen are likely the best option.

There are embedded eypc soc motherboards, just not as easy to find

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

22 hours ago, VintageGamer said:

I agree it is best to split out servers to separate machines. This machine isn’t going to be using a heavy load on the CPU so it doesn’t make sense to have multiple bare metal machines.

Pretty sure the suggestion is virtual machines for the diff services that you plan to run... I don't believe multiple servers was being implied

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?