Is it possible to have two identical desktops and bring the hard drives between them

parker02311
Go to solution Solved by starry,
Just now, parker02311 said:

Is it possible just to have separate C drives and the have D and F drives that I could take back and forth without the activation issue, and either way I was planning on them both being identical.

Yeah just make 2 different C drives, and take the external drives back and forth with you that have all your files. I like to tinker with my linux installation so I keep literally nothing on my install drive, its all external (incase i break it).

So long story short my parents are divorced and right now all I have is a laptop(Strix Scar II). I want to get a desktop but the only issue is I want to have the same data on both desktops, so the solution I came up with was buying two identically desktops and just bring the hard drives(SSDs) back and forth. Would this be possible or do you know of any better solutions? 

If you use Windows 10, I believe it ties the product key to a specific motherboard. You can look up Windows licence not valid after motherboard upgrade and see what I mean.

EDIT: I just keep a portable hard drive with me between houses. It works as a back up location and to help me bring files back and fourth.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

How could I go about syncing the data? The issue with the laptop is I cant upgrade it and none of my games run well.

1 minute ago, parker02311 said:

How could I go about syncing the data? The issue with the laptop is I cant upgrade it and none of my games run well.

use a service like ondrive or google drive?

Most game saves are synced with stream also.

Id just get a faster laptop intsead of 2 desktops though.

I have a laptop that costs more then the desktop I plan on getting and its not as good as them, and I mean I need some way to have the same data without having to redownload it or anything like that.

I have a laptop that costs more then the desktop I plan on getting and its not as good as them, and I mean I need some way to have the same data without having to redownload it or anything like that.

Whats your budget?

Whats your laptop specs? From a quick google, that laptop should be able to run most games fine.

Did you look at those file sync programs? Id just download games on both.

I do game development and I have some development files saved as a file and not on the cloud(4,196 in total), GTX 1060 and its nearly impossible to develop the game I work for. My budget for a single desktop is 1,700, so in total about 3,000 USD. 

3 minutes ago, parker02311 said:

I do game development and I have some development files saved as a file and not on the cloud(hundreds of files), GTX 1060 and its nearly impossible to develop the game I work for. My budget for a single desktop is 1,700, so in total about 3,000 USD. 

Id really just get  a $3000 laptop, should be faster than those desktops, and its nice to have a system that can be moved around.

Otherwise, id keep the os, and games and programs local to the pcs, and store files on a external ssd or cloud service.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really just get  a $3000 laptop, should be faster than those desktops, and its nice to have a system that can be moved around.

I want it to be upgradable which is the issue, and every laptop I have owned gets crapper over time. The one I have right now has already had both of its hard drives break(they were replaced) and it can't run anything anymore, no matter how many applications or background processes I close.

27 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

If you use Windows 10, I believe it ties the product key to a specific motherboard. You can look up Windows licence not valid after motherboard upgrade and see what I mean.

EDIT: I just keep a portable hard drive with me between houses. It works as a back up location and to help me bring files back and fourth.

Is it only the C drive thats linked to the motherboard? If so could I just bring two SSDs and have like a small SDD for the C drive? Currently I use a external hard drive for most of my storage due to the fact that you cant upgrade laptops but having a external hard drive is very slow and doesnt work well for the kind of work I do.

Is it only the C drive thats linked to the motherboard? If so could I just bring two SSDs and have like a small SDD for the C drive? Currently I use a external hard drive for most of my storage due to the fact that you cant upgrade laptops but having a external hard drive is very slow and doesnt work well for the kind of work I do.

Yea id setup a portable ssd with your projects and files, and keep the programs, games, and os on the drives in the systems.

A external ssd will be much faster, how much space do you need?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea id setup a portable ssd with your projects and files, and keep the programs, games, and os on the drives in the systems.

A external ssd will be much faster, how much space do you need?

Well from my current usage of my 3 hard drives/ssds I would need 10tb or more. For refrence:
C; 57.4 GB free of 237 GB
D; 784 GB free of 931 GB
F; 7.27 TB free of 9.09 TB (Current external HDD)
And these keep slowly growing as I code more and more things.

Well from my current usage of my 3 hard drives/ssds I would need 10tb or more. For refrence:
C; 57.4 GB free of 237 GB
D; 784 GB free of 931 GB
F; 7.27 TB free of 9.09 TB (Current external HDD)
And these keep slowly growing as I code more and more things.

How much of that space is projects vs games + os + programs?

Id put a hdd + ssd in each desktop + external ssd to move files. You can always copy files over the network between the systems aswell.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much of that space is projects vs games + os + programs?

Id put a hdd + ssd in each desktop + external ssd to move files. You can always copy files over the network between the systems aswell.

Yeah that was one of my ideas to code a program that automatically uses a cloud server to transfer files over or just doing it manually, I just wanted to know if there was a easier way. I might just get a Alienware laptop if I really dont want to manually do it.

Yeah that was one of my ideas to code a program that automatically uses a cloud server to transfer files over or just doing it manually, I just wanted to know if there was a easier way. I might just get a Alienware laptop if I really dont want to manually do it.

There are plenty of programs that will do syncing files between computers, did you look at any of them?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are plenty of programs that will do syncing files between computers, did you look at any of them?

Do you have any names of them I thought I asked for some in the original post.

Do you have any names of them I thought I asked for some in the original post.

bittorrent sync, resilio sync and others will sync between the computers, some need port forwarding.

Otherwise id use a cloud service like onedrive, dropbox or google drive.

1 hour ago, parker02311 said:

So long story short my parents are divorced and right now all I have is a laptop(Strix Scar II). I want to get a desktop but the only issue is I want to have the same data on both desktops, so the solution I came up with was buying two identically desktops and just bring the hard drives(SSDs) back and forth. Would this be possible or do you know of any better solutions? 

I am guessing that you are still young. What is the time share like between houses? One week at each place? Weekends only? If it was a week or more at each place, I'd just lug the tower between the two. Have a dedicated set of monitors, keyboard and mouse at each place. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

I am guessing that you are still young. What is the time share like between houses? One week at each place? Weekends only? If it was a week or more at each place, I'd just lug the tower between the two. Have a dedicated set of monitors, keyboard and mouse at each place. 

Every 3-4 days, currently have a laptop and mouse and a few other accessories I bring back and forth. 

3 minutes ago, parker02311 said:

Every 3-4 days, currently have a laptop and mouse and a few other accessories I bring back and forth. 

I'd still do it with a tower. Just like going to Lan parties back in the day. 

12 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I'd still do it with a tower. Just like going to Lan parties back in the day. 

Not old enough to remember that kind of stuff but sounds like something that people would do.

I was in a similar situation growing up, and this is something I also wanted to do. If you plan to use windows, the activation will reset everytime you plug it into a different computer, which is ultimately why I didnt. Also you will have serious driver issues if the computers are on different platforms (ie an intel computer and an AMD computer). I ended up just using my laptop for a long time, but it had a decently capable GPU so I was fine with that. Eventually I just built  a single tower and I decided to haul it back and forth every week, but I was in a situation where I was able to do that. Keep in mind that even with a tiny case, you still need to bring all your peripherals with you too, which was the most pain-in-the-neck part for me.

Ive thought about how I would do that now, with more experience, and this is what I think I would go with:

Have two computers with 2 seperate windows installations, and point the location of your user folders (documents, downloads, pictures, etc) to an external drive on a dock. Also install all your programs and games on the external drive. That way when you switch houses, you can just plug a hard drive into a dock and boot it up, and everything will be there. This, in my opinion, is the most elegant way you could do this, because a file sync setup cannot sync while the computer is off, so you have to bank on 24/7 operation while you arent at that computer. File sync is often very finicky, and I recommend a more simplistic approach over a complicated one, there are less things that could go wrong.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, starry said:

I was in a similar situation growing up, and this is something I also wanted to do. If you plan to use windows, the activation will reset everytime you plug it into a different computer, which is ultimately why I didnt. Also you will have serious driver issues if the computers are on different platforms (ie an intel computer and an AMD computer). I ended up just using my laptop for a long time, but it had a decently capable GPU so I was fine with that. Eventually I just built  a single tower and I decided to haul it back and forth every week, but I was in a situation where I was able to do that. Keep in mind that even with a tiny case, you still need to bring all your peripherals with you too, which was the most pain-in-the-neck part for me.

Ive thought about how I would do that now, with more experience, and this is what I think I would go with:

Have two computers with 2 seperate windows installations, and point the location of your user folders (documents, downloads, pictures, etc) to an external drive on a dock. Also install all your programs and games on the external drive. That way when you switch houses, you can just plug a hard drive into a dock and boot it up, and everything will be there.

Is it possible just to have separate C drives and the have D and F drives that I could take back and forth without the activation issue, and either way I was planning on them both being identical.

Yeah just make 2 different C drives, and take the external drives back and forth with you that have all your files. I like to tinker with my linux installation so I keep literally nothing on my install drive, its all external (incase i break it).

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD