How do you grip your mouse?

Error 504

How do you guys hold you mouse? I constantly have to quickly pick it up to gain more space in order to move the cursor further.

My mousepad is about 9" x 10". I changed the setting of the moving speed in Windows, it did help, but it became a bit difficult to aim at the thing I wanted to point, because it moved too fast.

Maybe it's just a psychological handicap that I want to keep my mouse at the center of the pad.

Any suggestion please?

You said it yourself, we really dont move our hand much when mousing. Learn to do it more or balance cursor speed with your skill. Alternatively you could try another mouse or get a mousepad that goes under your keyboard/had a design, gamers nexus and LTT have one XD. It may help w the OCD part.

well mine is 8 inches across and it does welll for me so also i grip it so my pinky is on one sid and my thumb is on the other and my middle fingers in on scroll wheel

Well, I like big and heavy mice so I can use palm grip. Also I have one those gimmicky gaming mice that lets me adjust DPI settings so I just twist my wrist and it can go from the left edge of my left monitor all the way across to the right side of my right monitor. If I game profiles linked to the executables for each game changes along with DPI settings. Acceleration and pointer precision is always off for me.

My palm doesn't touch the mouse. Thumb is on one side, index finger on one button and middle finger on the other, while my ring finger touches the other side, with pinky just resting on the mousepad.

I think psychologically I want to keep the mouse physically in the middle of the mousepad, no matter where the cursor is on the screen. so every now and then, I pick up the mouse and re-position it to the center of the mousepad. Maybe unconsciously I'm worried about the mouse fall out of the mousepad...... that's so gimpy. 

I use a claw grip, and I completely understand the feeling of needing to keep the mouse completely center and straight. I also get ocd feelings about the mouse wire pulling on the mouse, and even more so about finger grease making a perfect grip impossible. Not to mention my wrist will get tired after a while. I hate traditional mice and I'd love to get one of those desktop lenovo keyboards with the trackpoint. I'd be giving up a mechanical keyboard, but a good scissor switch keyboard is just as comfortable for me.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

21 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I use a claw grip, and I completely understand the feeling of needing to keep the mouse completely center and straight. I also get ocd feelings about the mouse wire pulling on the mouse, and even more so about finger grease making a perfect grip impossible. Not to mention my wrist will get tired after a while. I hate traditional mice and I'd love to get one of those desktop lenovo keyboards with the trackpoint. I'd be giving up a mechanical keyboard, but a good scissor switch keyboard is just as comfortable for me.

Ya, a keyboard with trackpoint, I know what you mean. I used to have a super bulky IBM Thinkpad back in 2002.

Many many years ago, when trackball mice first came out, or when I first learned about them, I went out to buy one, and returned it the next day. Using a thumb to control the cursor was just weird for me. In hindsight, maybe I should have stuck with it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so maybe trackball isn't a bad choice for me.

2 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

Ya, a keyboard with trackpoint, I know what you mean. I used to have a super bulky IBM Thinkpad back in 2002.

Many many years ago, when trackball mice first came out, or when I first learned about them, I went out to buy one, and returned it the next day. Using a thumb to control the cursor was just weird for me. In hindsight, maybe I should have stuck with it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so maybe trackball isn't a bad choice for me.

Yeah, I would definitely take a trackball over a traditional mouse, and I wouldn't have the issue of centering the mouse or the cable weight pulling on it. There's tons of different trackballs still being made and selling on Amazon and basically everywhere else. But if I'm spending money, I'd prefer a track point keyboard.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

56 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

My palm doesn't touch the mouse. Thumb is on one side, index finger on one button and middle finger on the other, while my ring finger touches the other side, with pinky just resting on the mousepad.

I think psychologically I want to keep the mouse physically in the middle of the mousepad, no matter where the cursor is on the screen. so every now and then, I pick up the mouse and re-position it to the center of the mousepad. Maybe unconsciously I'm worried about the mouse fall out of the mousepad...... that's so gimpy. 

I hold my mouse the exact same way as you do.  To help you in game try to disable mouse acceleration in the windows setting. 

I don't/ can't really mind about the placement of my mouse vs the mouse pad ... cause ...

20200926_171850.thumb.jpg.40bdb7720ce5640d1d1e59b213a60558.jpg

Corner desk

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

2 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I hold my mouse the exact same way as you do.  To help you in game try to disable mouse acceleration in the windows setting. 

I was hoping if I used the acceleration setting, the cursor could move further with less mouse movement. But it gets more difficult to pinpoint the thing that I want to click on.

6 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

I was hoping if I used the acceleration setting, the cursor could move further with less mouse movement. But it gets more difficult to pinpoint the thing that I want to click on.

Unpopular opinion here, cursor acceleration is more comfortable. I kinda wanna post a poll to see how many people have it enabled, but it's probably so controversial that it would briefly turn into a mega thread fueled by pure hate, then get locked.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Unpopular opinion here, cursor acceleration is more comfortable. I kinda wanna post a poll to see how many people have it enabled, but it's probably so controversial that it would briefly turn into a mega thread fueled by pure hate, then get locked.

i just turned it back on. i'm thinking maybe i should try and get used to it, and i think i will over time. i'm not a hardcore gamer, so it probably won't affect me as much in gaming. i do like how the cursor can move long distance with just a minor mouse movement.

Mostly claw/fingertip hybrid grip.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Error 504 said:

with acceleration the more you move the cursor, the faster it will travel ... you are right to say that in the end you will move your hand less.  That being said you noticed the downside of it and it is that it becomes harder to pinpoint stuff on the screen. It's not a big issue for general use but it can become an handicap as the cursor is really less predictable with acceleration. 

What you might want to do is to set a higher dpi on your mouse until you are comfortable using it that way.  With my g305 I run it at 1900 dpi for general use, with the xtrfy m42 it's 1600 and at first it felt noticeably slower than the 1900 on the g305.  The step up on the m42 is 3200 and it's way too fast for me to go from 1600 to 3200. 

Anyway I would suggest you turn off acceleration and just play with dpi setting until you are comfortable with a setting. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

I would use mouse acceleration if i didnt play fps, however it prevents me using muscle memory accuratley.

I use fingertip grip, and i play with 1600 dpi on a 42 x 33 cm pad. If you run out of space you simply need a bigger mousepad. Changing your sensitvity to something dumb or enabling acceleration isnt a smart move.

13 hours ago, Error 504 said:

How do you guys hold you mouse?

mauss.jpg.e5c98c5eb0fe3020ca9014f2152d7c09.jpg

I edit my posts more often than not

5 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

mauss.jpg.e5c98c5eb0fe3020ca9014f2152d7c09.jpg

_

I think my mouse is too small

20201230_124936.jpg

i just realized that, because i have an ultrawide, i often have 2 or 3 windows opened at the same time, occupying different corners of the monitor. whenever i work on one window, i tend to center the cursor inside that focused window, and then i unconsciously try to center the mouse on the mousepad mirroring the focused window.

i think this is why i keep running out of space for moving mouse.

4 hours ago, Error 504 said:

_

20201230_124936.jpg

if you're comfortable with it that way then it's not

3 hours ago, Error 504 said:

i just realized that, because i have an ultrawide, i often have 2 or 3 windows opened at the same time, occupying different corners of the monitor. whenever i work on one window, i tend to center the cursor inside that focused window, and then i unconsciously try to center the mouse on the mousepad mirroring the focused window.

i think this is why i keep running out of space for moving mouse.

Maybe try to use a higher dpi and get used to that dpi without acceleration ... after some time you'll barely notice that you have a hard time reaching place you had difficulties with before.

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

if you're comfortable with it that way then it's not

Maybe try to use a higher dpi and get used to that dpi without acceleration ... after some time you'll barely notice that you have a hard time reaching place you had difficulties with before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042T7TBS?ref_=pe_527950_33920250_dpLink

this is the mouse i bought last year. it's small, with three dpi settings, 800, 1200, 1600.

i've never used 1600 before, because it's way too fast for me, kind of difficult to point at the thing i want to click.

i've been using only 800. maybe i should start trying 1200.

_

1 hour ago, Error 504 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042T7TBS?ref_=pe_527950_33920250_dpLink

this is the mouse i bought last year. it's small, with three dpi settings, 800, 1200, 1600.

i've never used 1600 before, because it's way too fast for me, kind of difficult to point at the thing i want to click.

i've been using only 800. maybe i should start trying 1200.

_

yes you should ... and turn off that acceleration, that will help you by making the mouse mouvement way more predictable. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

18 hours ago, Error 504 said:

_

20201230_124936.jpg

Yea, can't find a mouse that fits my mouse either, after growing up....  only "claw" grip every mouse.

I edit my posts more often than not

11 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yea, can't find a mouse that fits my mouse either, after growing up....  only "claw" grip every mouse.

i'm curious about those trackball mice. does anybody have any chronical experience with those?

With bonus floof 

PXL_20210101_035846707.jpg

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

With bonus floof 

PXL_20210101_035846707.jpg

i see most people still use wired mice.