Do I need a Power supply upgrade?

RyansLeftArm

So I am currently running a rx 580 with a r5 3600. I am just about to upgrade my graphics card to a 3070. I am now using a 550 watt power supply. Do I HAVE to buy a new power supply right now before I get the card? I am skimping on the edge of my budget already, and im planning to get a new power supply either way in a few weeks. Will I be able to get away with the 550 watt for now? or even maybe for good? 

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the forums!!!

Is it a 550 watt Chinese unit? An exact make/model will help, but overall, you should use a Tier A power supply from the PSU Tier List due to Ampere's transient power draws and can trigger OCP in the power supply.

Get the PSU, then use the graphics card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

you will be fine with an 550w psu, but if you are planing to upgrade to an rtx 3080 you would need to get an 650w psu

BUT if you are using an cheapo psu, like from some jackass that sold it to you for like 20 dolars, i would not recommend using an rtx 3070 in it. If it is an 80 plus bronze i would put it in, as long as it is an well known brand

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Is it a 550 watt Chinese unit? An exact make/model will help, but overall, you should use a Tier A power supply from the PSU Tier List due to Ampere's transient power draws and can trigger OCP in the power supply.

Get the PSU, then use the graphics card. 

Its a thermaltake litepower 550 watt gen 2 I believe.

2 minutes ago, RyansLeftArm said:

Its a thermaltake litepower 550 watt gen 2 I believe.

i think that should do it in therms of "quality"

6 minutes ago, GTXstore said:

i think that should do it in terms of "quality"

That's a tier D power supply. See the changelog here and at the bottom of the Thermaltake section, you'll see it. That PSU should really only be used for office PCs that mainly focus on office things. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eL0893Ramlwk6E3s3uSvH1_juom7SMG5SCNzP2Uov8w/edit#gid=1529225916

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's a tier D power supply. See the changelog here and at the bottom of the Thermaltake section, you'll see it. That PSU should really only be used for office PCs that mainly focus on office things. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eL0893Ramlwk6E3s3uSvH1_juom7SMG5SCNzP2Uov8w/edit#gid=1529225916

sorry... Tried to help

my bad

Just now, GTXstore said:

sorry... Tried to help

my bad

No worries. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Can it actually harm my gpu? Would there be any harm in me just seeing how it goes and playing on it for a couple days before I get a new psu? I'm very impatient and really wanna try out my new card, but don't have the money just yet for a new psu );

Just now, RyansLeftArm said:

Can it actually harm my gpu? Would there be any harm in me just seeing how it goes and playing on it for a couple days before I get a new psu? I'm very impatient and really wanna try out my new card, but don't have the money just yet for a new psu );

It could if used for long durations of time possibly. Just use that power supply until you are able to get a power supply that is tier A rating.