It is worth it to place a 120mm exhaust fan between the GPU and the PSU?

I have enough space on the back on my cabinet between my GPU and my PSU to place a 120mm fan (using the unused slots as vents), it is worth to place one to try to extract the warm air coming from the GPU fans? (I think) It would look better using the emty space, but  will it affect the pc temperarure/performance?

(having in theory 3 case fans in front, 1 on the back and 2 above feeding the cpu watercooling (i'm on the planning phase), GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 GAMING 4G & CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g ).

deepcool d-shield v2.png

deepcool d-shield v2.png

It will most likely take away fresh air for the GPU and acttually make the cooling worse.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I did this (in spoiler) for my PC and it dropped GPU and CPU temps by about 3c, so it definitely helps

Spoiler

DSC_0174.thumb.JPG.a48dfe2c527c8a4cbec1f4a4590d1111.JPG

I couldn't fit it in like you did, because my GPU is 2 slot, and I suspect yours is too, do double confirm before trying

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I did this (in spoiler) for my PC and it dropped GPU and CPU temps by about 3c, so it definitely helps

Reveal hidden contents

I couldn't fit it in like you did, because my GPU is 2 slot, and I suspect yours is too, do double confirm before trying

The GPU is dual slot, but as the PSU is a bit thinner the fan can fit (I triple checked).

5 minutes ago, matt_915 said:

The GPU is dual slot, but as the PSU is a bit thinner the fan can fit (I triple checked).

definitely give it a try and report back, since me and @Stahlmannhave differing opinions about it :D

curious to see if it works for other people too

my theory is that GPU actually creates a warm air pocket under it since air is just recirculating there after conflicting with motherboard, having a fan to pull the warm air out and allowing fresh air from front of case to go there would help

the blow through design helps, but only if its at the end of the card, where the air is warmest (i think) compared to beginning

i could easily probe it with my thermoprobe but im just too lazy :P

edit: blower cards would see no benefit, and even detriment to the performance since you're creating more negative pressure, meaning the gpu fan will have to work harder to move same amount of air

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Reveal hidden contents

You sure the temps are not lower because of a missing side panel? ;)

Anyway, it'd be interesting how it will affect cooling. I was just talking out my my own experience with fan placement and how i found out in the past more fans is not more better.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

You sure the temps are not lower because of a missing side panel? ;)

i never had my side panel on for ages lol

yes im sure

I'd probably just replace the expansion slot brackets with perforated ones or take them off entirely. You'd get much the same effect without having to modify the case to shove a fan in there.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

50 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It will most likely take away fresh air for the GPU and acttually make the cooling worse.

It will not make it worse so long as you're moving air in a standard front-to-back configuration.

What keeps the temperatures closer to ambient is air displacement. The GPU doesn't need to have a lot of air whipping around it as the GPU will be doing that anyways with its own GPU FAN. But, the air it ingests will be much cooler due to the aforementioned air displacement provided by the additional airflow from the case fans. 

It depends on your case and your fans. In my experience.. it doesn't help enough to be worth it. This is going on the assumption you have excellent fans already.  If your fans are pretty low end, it may help.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

GPU fans push air towards PCB. So maybe? Depends on if its dual fan or triple fan. With @Moonzy's setup the rear-most fan is probably not getting much if any air since there's exhaust right next to it. Having fan on the other side, like near backplate would probably be better. As seen from RTX3k FE cards.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If anything I would make it an intake on a low static speed. 

But to be honest I would simply remove the covers and just put a magnetic dust filter there. Allowing for the GPU to pull extra fresh air from there when it needs it.

The other option that I have found to work even better. Is to remove the gpu shroud and fans from the gpu heatsink. Then strap either 2x 92mm or 120mm fans to heatsink using zip ties. This little mod has crushed temps on every gpu I have done it on.

I used a 92x35 fan between my 980 and PSU. I use 120x38s as case fans. The problem I saw with that was I had to run that little fan at its slowest speed of about 1700RPM, faster than that and it would starve my 980 of air to pull in because the air was moving too fast. Its not what I expected. Initially it was there to pull any GPU heat that was deflected off the glass panel. Mission aborted. In the end I just pulled the slot covers out and let the fronts push clear out of the back and its excellent, and my GPU runs cooler by a few c. In exchange my mobo temp crept up 1c. That little fan doesn't sound like much, but its about 150cfm, stronger than my TY-143 and will kill your header if you hot plug it lol. Doesn't hurt to try, everyone has a unique setup and environment. Its best to try for yourself than ask others how it would work.. I don't mean that in a harsh kind of way, but you will find your answer for yourself, and in the process you will see what works and what doesn't.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X