New Intel CPUs incoming?

Balokun

Hey guys!

So what do the rumors say about the upcoming Intel CPUs? Should I rather wait than trying to buil a new PC at this time? 

If you don't need a system right now, I think it worth waiting a week or so into the new year as there are rumours Intel will announce something at virtual CES.

Rocket Lake will see the first IPC improvement on desktop in a long time. While it has to be technically called a rumour since there is no proper testing of it, we know it is based on the same microarchitecture as Ice Lake, which when that came out Intel claimed 18% IPC increase over Skylake. It may not be exactly the same but do expect a significant upgrade from Skylake, and based on other rumuors/leaks it isn't going to be limited in clocks, although power may still be a beast to tame if you want the highest performance. I wouldn't set up hopes of it beating Zen 3 in absolute performance, but it should be a lot more competitive than current offerings.

IMO certainly one to look out for. If an Intel based system is under consideration, and it is not too urgent a requirement to build, I think it is worth a look. However Intel's existing statement was general availability in Q1, so worst case it could still be a few months out before you can buy one.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

so you need to buy ?

if yes

get a 10850k for $399 on amazon or 10700kf for $320

if no

it depends how much are you willing to wait

11th gen may be attracting but its still 14nm++++++++++++++++++

12th gen and zen4 are what you should get but you may need to wait a whole year for them to release but worth it since it will be a new socket and chipset for both of them and will be more future proof (if you buy 11th gen you can't upgrade in the future without changing motherboard, same thing for zen3)

THanks for the updates guys! I will consider your opinions and suggestions!

If one wants a new system immediately, inventory is pretty much limited to Intel. At least at the upper end of desktop cpu offerings.

Besides, performance gpu are rare and selling well above manufacturers' suggest price.

So it only makes sense to wait.

1 hour ago, Gorou92 said:

11th gen may be attracting but its still 14nm++++++++++++++++++

Why would that matter? Surely cpu are bought for the performance not the size. 😆

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 minutes ago, brob said:

Why would that matter? Surely cpu are bought for the performance not the size. 😆

lol size does matter in this case (or transistors density)

when 12th gen comes it will have high performance gains vs (10th to 11th)

it will be first intel 10nm desktop so better effeciency

it will have big little architecture with 8 heavy core with 8 light cores so 16 cores total which will have much higher multithreaded performance than a 10 core 10th gen

and of course higher ipc