Why does Linux need to fight me at every step? | Turnkey Linux NAS won't let me mount drives for SMB

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

It looks like your trying to mount the drive as /dev. Don't do that, mount it somewhere like /mnt/hdd. /dev is used for system files

As the title states. I've been trying to setup Turnkey Linux as a basic NAS for a budget christmas gift. I bought a cheap Zotac ID84 on ebay with the intention of using FreeNAS (which i've been using for years on my personal NAS) but the NIC wasn't supported. I'm out of ideas, it's already christmas eve, and i'm already out $100 in trying. So here's what I have now:

The root directory can be accessed by webDAV and SMB. Everything is installed and working, everything so far is plug and play. But for the life of me I cannot access the 1tb HDD I planned on using for the main pool.

image.thumb.png.266d02176efe84403ce9299b56340caa.png

I have a logical volume set and the drive is recognized (No redundancy because only one sata port and my budget was $75).In my experience, I theoretically just need to create a mount point between the root and second drive but it's never that easy, is it.

image.thumb.png.0e679e3a908be0d47e49b14161438cb7.png

I go to make a directory but always get the same error. I'm clueless on where to go from here.

image.thumb.png.7e9089bdb017f911a30b9ae2fbc712e5.png

If anyone knows how I can add other drives to the root directory please comment for my sanity,
this is the worst experience i've had with Linux probably ever.

OK, calm down, sit, have a drink and start again. Make sure you follow the manual closely, w/o skipping steps or taking shortcuts. Pay particular attention to permissions, an ordinary user cannot access anything owned by root, unless specifically permitted to do so.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

10 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

OK, calm down, sit, have a drink and start again. Make sure you follow the manual closely, w/o skipping steps or taking shortcuts. Pay particular attention to permissions, an ordinary user cannot access anything owned by root, unless specifically permitted to do so.

So far the only user I have added is root. Honestly might be better off just installing TKL straight to the 1tb drive and gifting the machine with root only. Then I could also return my $14 16gb mSata ssd. The friend this is going to won't know the difference. There is almost no documentation for this buggy mess of a distro, The biggest thing i've learned is to never take FreeNAS for granted.

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It looks like your trying to mount the drive as /dev. Don't do that, mount it somewhere like /mnt/hdd. /dev is used for system files

I just want you to know I pulled an all-nighter trying to get this working. Through all my years of using Kubuntu, KDE Neon and MX Linux I always thought /dev was for peripheral. devices. You live and you learn I guess. TKL is still super buggy so i'm going to blame everything on that. Web UI is nowhere near as polished and intuitive as FreeNAS.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/463512018423382016/791731046064062464/Screenshot_20201224-121557_Firefox.jpg