Bought a server and I have no idea what to do with it.

Sarah_Six

So I bought a server mostly to use as a NAS.  But its got 64gb of ram and 2x E5-2650v3 cpu's  So I was thinking it might be fun to set up a game server or something on it?  Ideas? I'm going to load it with Hypervisor so I can have a Win10 Pro Instance and a Cent OS Instance.  What do you guys think what would be fun to do with it?

Dell Poweredge R720 3.5" 2x E5-2640 2.5ghz 12-Cores / 64gb / H710 / 2x 495w and 8x 2tb drives in raid 6

I use mine as a NAS, a bunch of game servers, and some server side processes for things like perforce.

Edit: I also use it as a render node for blender.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I can't code to save my life so I don't need perforce. but what games are good to run servers for?  I wanted to do satisfactory but its not ready yet

Minecraft?

Beyond that, whatever you play! If your friends would play Space Engineers, Factorio, or whatever else, then set up a server for it!

It doesn't even have to run all the time: just when y'all want to hop in.

Also, welcome to the forums!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

ill help you test whatever game servers you try! ill keep watching. 

I was thinking it might be time to do Minecraft again xD  Anyone want to make a server with me?  The questing is what mod pack?  Hardcore Infinity or RL craft?

Gmod servers can earn some petty cash. 

Perhaps enough to pay for the computer's electricity. 

Well I figured out how Hyper-V server works!  got like 3 Win 1 instances installed, Ubuntu server and FTP out the wazoo.  She's humming away with handbrake setting up streaming to my tv :D  Still no game server setup but I'm learning.

On 12/23/2020 at 4:10 AM, Sarah_Six said:

So I bought a server mostly to use as a NAS.  But its got 64gb of ram and 2x E5-2650v3 cpu's  So I was thinking it might be fun to set up a game server or something on it?  Ideas? I'm going to load it with Hypervisor so I can have a Win10 Pro Instance and a Cent OS Instance.  What do you guys think what would be fun to do with it?

Why did you buy it if you had no idea what you were going to use it for?

That sounds like a fun thing to experiment with especially during this covid lockdown time.

I always wished I could run my own game server because I often hate the way people set up the games.

I've never been able to try it though because I don't have enough internet connection to handle it lol.

🤖

3 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Why did you buy it if you had no idea what you were going to use it for?

Why has anyone ever asked this about a server?

There's only two reasons to buy a server: You need one for a specific thing, or, you found one cheap, have room for it, and you'll just figure out a use for it later. :D

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Using a Dell as a gaming server is a little more difficult than you'd think. You need risers to provide the 8 pin and 6 pin power for a GPU, and plugging one in isn't as easy as you might imagine. They only really support the Quadro, Tesla, and I can't remember the AMD Workstation/Server line. Everything is unsupported, but you can get them to work. I have a Dell r730 I'm going to throw a GPU in when I get it ordered and from my reading the main stream GTX, RTX, and Radeon cards can keep your server from even booting up. Requires some tweaking in the BIOS and there's not guarantee. 

Running a Minecraft server seems like a good option if you enjoy it. I was going to do so for my niece but she's moved on to Fortnight. She obviously has no taste in games, but she's 8 so I'll forgive her for now. Other options would be PiHole, Ad Guard, Home Automation, Folding@home if you are ok with running idle cores. F@H will increase your bill and you need to load up HWInfo or some other tool. I had to reapply the thermal paste on my old Dell r620, pretty sure it was factory paste so at least 5 years old. I reapplied it on my 730 because I figured I had some left and it was never done. 

Other options would be PFsense, PLEX, PRTG if you have items you want to monitor, Veeam has a free community tool for backups. Really it's all about what you are into. Dell will say you can't get the GPU risers after the sale but I don't think that's true personally. You'll need to check your Power Supplies to make sure that it has the wattage for everything. Either way no matter what you do have fun :)

40 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Why has anyone ever asked this about a server?

There's only two reasons to buy a server: You need one for a specific thing, or, you found one cheap, have room for it, and you'll just figure out a use for it later. :D

Right, so what "specific thing"?

Buying one cheap is great, but for what purpose?

I have a bunch of used servers for NAS, backups, build servers, and one of them is my router/gateway.

OK  Who want to try what I've got so far?  I THINK I have a minecraft server up and running with a mod pack and some basic pluggins.  If its working I'll add more :D

FTB Revelations IP: 70.58.204.252:25566 Version#3.30
https://discord.gg/EgCCUpentZ

Ok slight tweek for some reason the Minecraft software I used won't do the latest version of Revelation's so I switched the mod pack to FTB Beyond.  I'm trying to pick a pack for people that want to play something new.

HA I figured out how to get Revelation's 3.40 going!  FTB Revelations IP: 70.58.204.252:25566