Switch to a dynamic mic?

ShadowCaptain

Hey peeps, im currently using a blue yeti mic, while its sound quality is great, the amount of ambient sound it picks up is rediculous, you can hear EVERYTHING in the house, and cars from miles away

I was thinking of getting rid of the yeti and replacing it with a dynamic mic, ive done a little bit of research and the electrovoice re320 looks like a really nice microphone

but i was wondering if anybody had any recommendations? and if its say an XLR or something what other equiptment should i use?

i have a really good mic stand and shock mount + pop shield so thats good for me

Oh and i will be using this for recording my voice for voiceovers in gameplay videos and tech reviews + skype conversations and general gaming since i use dedicated audio headphones (sennheiser momentum on ears currently), i record using sound forge pro

any help/advice would be appreciated

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You haven't really given a budget, but if you're willing to pony up for an audio interface and an XLR mic, there are a tonne of great condensor voiceover mics, the Rode NT1-A and SE x1 both have pretty decent bundles (especially the x1, with the reflexion filter). Neither of those mics will pick up the whole house, I've used both with decent success. If you're SUPER worried about directionality, have a look around for condensers with a hypercardioid polar pattern - they're often used to record toms on a drum kit, and will pick up ONLY what they're pointed at, no surroundings. Another option is the Shure SM57, the industry standard for affordable dynamic mics - cheap, works well, sounds good if you sit up close to it (doesn't look as cool/beefy as the nice condensers though). Basically, have a listen of audio samples of all the mics I listed, pick the one that you like the sound of most.

my budget id say £200-£350

i will check out your recommendations, yeah i really need it to ONLY pick up me, my house has super thing walls and i cant guarentee silence, im a stickler for production quality and i want to give the best audio experiance i can give for what i can afford

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You haven't really given a budget, but if you're willing to pony up for an audio interface and an XLR mic, there are a tonne of great condensor voiceover mics, the Rode NT1-A and SE x1 both have pretty decent bundles (especially the x1, with the reflexion filter). Neither of those mics will pick up the whole house, I've used both with decent success. If you're SUPER worried about directionality, have a look around for condensers with a hypercardioid polar pattern - they're often used to record toms on a drum kit, and will pick up ONLY what they're pointed at, no surroundings. Another option is the Shure SM57, the industry standard for affordable dynamic mics - cheap, works well, sounds good if you sit up close to it (doesn't look as cool/beefy as the nice condensers though). Basically, have a listen of audio samples of all the mics I listed, pick the one that you like the sound of most.

Hyper cardioid has a decent pickup from behind the microphone.

If you need very directional sound, you use a shotgun polar pattern mic.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Hyper cardioid has a decent pickup from behind the microphone.

If you need very directional sound, you use a shotgun polar pattern mic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RODE-VideoMic-Directional-On-Camera-Microphone/dp/B004K8WPUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395073565&sr=8-2&keywords=rode+shotgun+mic

so something like this? (not necessarily this model)

would that be ok for recording commentary/podcasting? im hoping for a really intimate sound, radio presenter/totalbiscuit sort of sound and as little background noise as possible, i cant exactly create a soundbooth in my house so im hoping the right audio equipment will do it for me

You'll want something where you can adjust the gain. Turn the gain WAAAAAY down, get really close to the Mic, and then boost the signal volume as needed.