will a 450 watt psu be enough for r9 290x?

levsingh

i am taking my card to a friend who has a 450 watt psu will it work ? thanks

i am taking my card to a friend who has a 450 watt psu will it work ? thanks

It might barely work depends on the rest of the system.

It might barely work depends on the rest of the system.

i5 processor, 1 ddr3 memory, 2 120mm fans, 1 dvdrom

i can remove the dvd rom if necessary 

I wouldn't try it on anything under 600w tbh

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Won't help much I don't think you should try it personally 500w is the minimum I would use.

500w might just be enough but that would be really risky, I'd go for at least a 650w 

aaaah :( i will have to take mine then thanks guys :)

Important is how many amps the 12V rail offers. Blindly suggesting 600w doesnt help at all, even a 600w PSU can damage your parts when its low quality. And what are you planning on oding by taking your card to a friend ? If you just want to boot into windows it'll be fine but extended gaming sessions .... idk

If the PSU is decent quality then yes, if it is not then dont even bother.

No, I wouldn't reccomend it. It didn't work on my 7970, so it definitely won't work on an a r9 290x. Unless its some super power brand and not a no-name one like mine was

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Reporting in with a reference R9 290X, i5 3570k, 4 DIMMS of DDR3, 5 fans, 3 SSDs, and an HDD. All Stock Clocks. Using a Kill-a-Watt meter,

[Edited]

My PSU is the NZXT Hale82 750w 80+ Bronze PSU. Assuming it gets the very minimum of efficiency for a Bronze classified PSU, that's 85% efficiency at 50% load. The maximum load is approximately at this PSU's 50% load mark, so we will use that to find the wattage used by the components.

Updated values:

On Idle (after startup programs were done starting up with Chrome open):
70-100w (bounced between 110 and 130 while the programs were starting)

While mining (with Chrome open), so 100% GPU usage (little CPU usage):
370-375w (was fairly consistent)
315-320w used by the components when multiplied by 0.85

While mining (with Chrome open), and encoding a 1080p video in MP4, so 100% CPU & GPU usage:
420w-430w (was fairly consistent)
365-370w used by the components when multiplied by 0.85

So yeah. 450w should be fine. It's pushing it, but it's fine, temporarily (PSU's age and so their efficiency goes down).

I wouldn't sweat using a 450w PSU with this, depending on it's efficiency and age.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Totally doable if you have a solid psu. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I know that Tiny Tom Logan did it and it worked, if it is a very high quality one then it should be fine. 

Do pcparpicker. Put all your specs in there if you can see what power wattahe is. Having 290x sucks more power to a titan. Wasnt it like 300 plus watts. 550 watt 80 plus platinum may do the job. But id personally gey 650 bare mi imum. But i usually go over board since i do modding so i need lots extra power. Id say if your on a budget. Get a tx 750 if money doesnt matter get psu from bequite dadk power pro 650

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

my Radeon HD 6950 blew out my 450, so I would bet that will

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

my Radeon HD 6950 blew out my 450, so I would bet that will

Newer does not mean more power hungry.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Do pcparpicker. Put all your specs in there if you can see what power wattahe is. Having 290x sucks more power to a titan. Wasnt it like 300 plus watts. 550 watt 80 plus platinum may do the job. But id personally gey 650 bare mi imum. But i usually go over board since i do modding so i need lots extra power. Id say if your on a budget. Get a tx 750 if money doesnt matter get psu from bequite dadk power pro 650

A solid 550w plat should have plenty of headroom for a 290x..

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Dude I think I power calculated his computer parts it was like 500 watts. Remeber if he's mining he will his system will be using g 100 percent of the guys.  570 watt will do the job just do t plan putting lot more upgrades. I would not add anything else.  Playing around during with 50 watts remaining is not what would do. Anyhow it's his choice was 550 for that's his choice. Just a warning ahead don't plan on adding another card 

A solid 550w plat should have plenty of headroom for a 290x..

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

Dude I think I power calculated his computer parts it was like 500 watts. Remeber if he's mining he will his system will be using g 100 percent of the guys.  570 watt will do the job just do t plan putting lot more upgrades. I would not add anything else.  Playing around during with 50 watts remaining is not what would do. Anyhow it's his choice was 550 for that's his choice. Just a warning ahead don't plan on adding another card 

Psu calculators for the most part are highly inaccurate. 

If you haven't yet, watch the video I linked above. 

If a good company made the PSU, then yes it could live, but it might need some new juice sooner or later. Though he could live.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

That is better but still a bad video- he does not say how many volts he has the CPU on, how many volts he has the GPU on, how many volts he has the RAM on, what kind of fans is he using- PWM at a constant 12v or voltage driven with a max of 12 volts. The 680 also does not consume as much power as the new flagships- especially when overvolted.

I think his testing was actually pretty fair and it would be a video I would share around if he had provided more details.