FIXED: PC randomly restarts ONLY when watching Netflix or Prime Video (YouTube is fine, gaming is fine)

Marsferatu
Go to solution Solved by ricardodflorez,
On 12/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Marsferatu said:

I'm perplexed by this one...

PROBLEM:

When I'm watching a video on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video PC will restart itself. No crashing messages, no bluescreen, no freezing before restart. What puzzles me the most is the inconsistency of this behaviour. The restart sometimes happens within a few seconds of starting a video, sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour, and sometimes it doesn't! It also doesn't matter if its full-screen or not. In general, the restart does happen more often than not and usually it happens fairly quickly after starting a video (seconds or minutes).

No problem with YouTube, can game for hours (COD:WZ, GTA V...).

PC:

Brand new PC build, all drivers updated, fresh copy of windows 10.

Win10/64
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200

ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING

Corsair SF600 Platinum

BIOS: 1004 8/13/2020

DONE SO FAR:

(will keep the list updated)

- I usually use Chrome but I also tried in Firefox and Edge. All being the latest updates.

- Tried with the latest Nvidia driver and with one version before that (currently reverted to the latest one 460.89).

- Looked in to Silverlight but haven't tried anything since (from my understanding) it has been deprecated anyway.

@Marsferatu I had the same issue (and I think this might be the same for you too). You have BIOS version 1004 but the latest version is 1401. God knows why they used a similar version number to a bios that wasn't that long ago but there you go... My PC's been running fine since, so I hope it helps solve your problem too!!

PROBLEM:

When I'm watching a video on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video PC will restart itself. No crashing messages, no bluescreen, no freezing before restart. What puzzles me the most is the inconsistency of this behaviour. The restart sometimes happens within a few seconds of starting a video, sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour, and sometimes it doesn't! It also doesn't matter if its full-screen or not. In general, the restart does happen more often than not and usually it happens fairly quickly after starting a video (seconds or minutes).

PC:

Win10/64

ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING

Corsair SF600 Platinum

DONE SO FAR:

- I usually use Chrome but I also tried in Firefox and Edge. All being the latest updates.

- Tried with the latest Nvidia driver and with one version before that (currently reverted to the latest one 460.89).

- Looked in to Silverlight but haven't tried anything since (from my understanding) it has been deprecated anyway.

Try disabling XMP, just for testing.. You on the newest BIOS?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I'll try but testing might be difficult since the reboot happens so randomly (already thought I fixed the issue once when I used a different browser but nope, next day I still had the problem) . Any reasoning why the XMP might be the issue or just a stab in the dark?

Not the newest BIOS. I can try updating it but same issue with testing as mentioned before. Any reasoning why BIOS might be it?

So I found this post through a Google search, I’m having a very similar issue to you. I can’t get Netflix to play at all for me though, just a full restart, no blue screen no error or anything. I know I was on a beta BIOS and should check for an update. I have an ASUS TUF 570 Pro motherboard and there’s an update for version 3001 of the BIOS as of 12/3/20 as well as some other chipset driver updates in Armoury Shield. 

Updating the bios through USB and the bios itself so far looks like it fixed my issue. I have also learned that AI Suite 3 didn’t update my bios within Windows - it was still on the stock 8/14/20 firmware when I went to update today, not the late October date I was expecting. So I will now avoid AI Suite 3 and uninstall, and will continue to test later tonight when I’m gaming. Hope this is the fix for you too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Marsferatu said:

PROBLEM:

PC:

Win10/64

ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING

Corsair SF600 Platinum

DONE SO FAR:

@Marsferatu I had the same issue (and I think this might be the same for you too). You have BIOS version 1004 but the latest version is 1401. God knows why they used a similar version number to a bios that wasn't that long ago but there you go... My PC's been running fine since, so I hope it helps solve your problem too!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 2:53 PM, ricardodflorez said:

Yes! The 1401 version bios fixed it!

2 hours ago, Marsferatu said:

Yes! The 1401 version bios fixed it!

Awesome. Also, it might be worth opening "Device Manager" to see if there are any warnings / missing drivers. I'd found there were missing drivers for the PCIe bus but Windows was unable to update them automatically. I managed to resolve it by downloading the latest chipset drivers from my mobo website (you might not have to do this though).

22 hours ago, ricardodflorez said:

Awesome. Also, it might be worth opening "Device Manager" to see if there are any warnings / missing drivers. I'd found there were missing drivers for the PCIe bus but Windows was unable to update them automatically. I managed to resolve it by downloading the latest chipset drivers from my mobo website (you might not have to do this though).

My drivers are missing as well. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, jkoz said:

So I found this post through a Google search, I’m having a very similar issue to you. I can’t get Netflix to play at all for me though, just a full restart, no blue screen no error or anything. I know I was on a beta BIOS and should check for an update. I have an ASUS TUF 570 Pro motherboard and there’s an update for version 3001 of the BIOS as of 12/3/20 as well as some other chipset driver updates in Armoury Shield. 

Updating the bios through USB and the bios itself so far looks like it fixed my issue. I have also learned that AI Suite 3 didn’t update my bios within Windows - it was still on the stock 8/14/20 firmware when I went to update today, not the late October date I was expecting. So I will now avoid AI Suite 3 and uninstall, and will continue to test later tonight when I’m gaming. Hope this is the fix for you too. 

Holy sh*t man thank you so much! 

I just bought a new mobo cpu and ram and had the exact same problem with netflix and amazon. Bios update fixed it im in love with you!

Ryzen 5600X aswell if it makes any difference for anyone.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem, but with a X570 Aorus Pro WiFi, 5900X and Zotac 3090. I have the latest BIOS, drivers and updates. That is not working...