Why I'm Keeping My Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

andrevautour

I was looking around at a handful of other keyboards, but I ended up deciding to keep my BlackWidow Ultimate. Here's why.

Here is a video on the WASD blank keycaps

I don't like the black switches so unfortunately this isn't for me...  + iv had some bad experiences with razer in the past..

Good video though :)

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I don't like the black switches so unfortunately this isn't for me...  + iv had some bad experiences with razer in the past..

Good video though :)

They are blue switches on the Black Widow.

I definitely would not buy Razer if I was picking something now, but since I already have it I am going to keep it for a bit longer. 

If I was buying now it would be Ducky or Filco, Overall I was very surprised and disappointed at how light and flexible a lot of the mechnical keyboards I look at are, though. The Razer has probably the best build quality out most of the stuff I've seen except for the Zibal 60.

I had bad experiences with Razer keyboards. I owned a Lycosa and it broke within 3 days le sigh. Replace it with another and it broke within 2 weeks again.

Currently am using a Zaibal 60 myself and it's one of the most if not the most solidly built mechanical keyboards out there. Doesn't have the macros but damn is it a pleasant thing to type on and also game on.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I have a Corsair K90 and it has barely has any flex, The aluminum plate makes the keyboard pretty stiff. I just wish that they had it available with black or brown switches. I don't like blues at all, I like the light feeling of the Reds, but I miss the tactile feel of the blues.  

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

How long have you had your Razer BWU??

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

How long have you had your Razer BWU??

I've had it since Nov 2011. It still feels just as good typing on it as it did when it was new and the stitches feel about the same too. I'm pleased with that. 

I had bad experiences with Razer keyboards. I owned a Lycosa and it broke within 3 days le sigh. Replace it with another and it broke within 2 weeks again.

Currently am using a Zaibal 60 myself and it's one of the most if not the most solidly built mechanical keyboards out there. Doesn't have the macros but damn is it a pleasant thing to type on and also game on.

Yeah, I've heard some bad stuff about the Lycosa as well. My dad uses a Zibal 60 and I like it (except that the light doesn't seem to turn on when you turn the computer on/up from sleep?)  The BlackWidow is built just as well as the Zibal 60.  I don't like macro keys myself or large bezels so I prefer the Zibal 60 in that way. 

I have a Corsair K90 and it has barely has any flex, The aluminum plate makes the keyboard pretty stiff. I just wish that they had it available with black or brown switches. I don't like blues at all, I like the light feeling of the Reds, but I miss the tactile feel of the blues.  

I've played with the Corsair boards a bit. I wish they were a bit heavier. I like the aluminum but I don't like the macro stuff on the side. 

I've had it since Nov 2011. It still feels just as good typing on it as it did when it was new and the stitches feel about the same too. I'm pleased with that. 

Yeah, I've heard some bad stuff about the Lycosa as well. My dad uses a Zibal 60 and I like it (except that the light doesn't seem to turn on when you turn the computer on/up from sleep?)  The BlackWidow is built just as well as the Zibal 60.  I don't like macro keys myself or large bezels so I prefer the Zibal 60 in that way. 

I've played with the Corsair boards a bit. I wish they were a bit heavier. I like the aluminum but I don't like the macro stuff on the side. 

Video of someone doing an unboxing of the Corsair K70:

I spent a couple weeks wih the BWU 2013 and i loved it. The quality as you said really is exceptional! The only thing i didnt like was the green leds

It doesn't have much flex...It's just permanently bent?

Things like the warpage and flickering LEDs are the kind of thing that got the original Blackwidow it's terrible reputation, albeit they're some of the more benign defects. I'm not sure you should be recommending others participate in the same lottery, though. Best to just stick with the 2013 revision...