World of Warships

Donut417

Been thinking of downloading this game. Wanted to know from currently players on how easy is it to get in to? How pay to win is it? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Been thinking of downloading this game. Wanted to know from currently players on how easy is it to get in to? How pay to win is it? 

its easy but hard at same time, i play on mobile idk how its like on pc

Well, depends on what you mean by "get into" 

You can get up and playing very easily. You start out with bots and then slowly get introduced to real players. A bit of warning, the game is much more enjoyable if you're willing to open up your wallet for Premium time and investing in some premium ships. As for how pay 2 win it is....its certainly a factor. There are premium ships out there that are outright overpowered, but most of the broken ships are resource ships (that anyone can earn), not ships you pay money for. 

The game takes a good amount of skill. You have to know when to use HE vs AP, which targets are higher priority, armor values so you can know how to angle yourself and where to shoot enemies. The game is also pretty grindy (but the economy is good if you have premium time). 

Is it fun? If you like warships, absolutely. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

First thing to say is that World of Warships has very little pay to win. There isn't anything, for all ships, that you can only get with premium membership. There are some premium limited ships and tasks, but there are alternatives to it of comparable or even greater stats.

It is very easy to get into. I got my 60+ year old Dad into it, who had never played PC before. You can start off with multiplayer battles against AI (Co-Op) and then random battles against players once you've understood the game. 

When going beyond Tier 6 ships (Maximum of ten tiers), it can become a bit of a grind and sometimes premium helps with the additional XP and Credits earned from the premium multiplayer. 

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well, depends on what you mean by "get into" 

You can get up and playing very easily. You start out with bots and then slowly get introduced to real players. A bit of warning, the game is much more enjoyable if you're willing to open up your wallet for Premium time and investing in some premium ships. As for how pay 2 win it is....its certainly a factor. There are premium ships out there that are outright overpowered, but most of the broken ships are resource ships (that anyone can earn), not ships you pay money for. 

The game takes a good amount of skill. You have to know when to use HE vs AP, which targets are higher priority, armor values so you can know how to angle yourself and where to shoot enemies. The game is also pretty grindy (but the economy is good if you have premium time). 

Is it fun? If you like warships, absolutely. 

i once logged on and got like a million credits, but before that i had alot because ive grinded so hard without paying once in the game

As I have been playing it for the last 5-ish years, I don't really know how hard it would be to get into right now. But I find it quite easy and relaxing to play, as it's pretty slow paced. But I know many got bored because of that.

It's arguably somewhat P2W. Some premium ships are more powerful, but you if you are bad, you'll still get completely wrecked. Personally, I haven't spent any real life money on the game, and I'm still doing more than fine in terms of winning (about 57% win rate). In my experience, the ones complaining about P2W are mostly, and the ones complaining about hacking are always, just really bad at the game (which you can check with their in game statistics), so I would say neither is really an issue.

In terms of economy, I am (despite, again, not having spent money), at a pretty comfortable position, even without premium time (which mainly just gives you 65% more XP and credits).

If you are about to create an account, I recommend getting an invite code from someone else, as it will give you and your invitee some benefits.

:)

Its a fun game to play...I don't play it a lot right now but I'm playing World of Tanks nearly every day...just love that game. The only thing with World of Warships is the gameplay can get slow when there are dwindling ships left and your spread out on the map. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

If you are about to create an account, I recommend getting an invite code from someone else, as it will give you and your invitee some benefits.

I believe JayzTwoCents does an ad for them from time to time and Linus(LTT) as well.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

So this might be worth wasting a bit of my 1.2 TB of data Comcast gives me each month. Im looking to get back in to gaming. I have seen Youtube videos on this game, but it doesn't really tell the whole story. I just know that some free to play games are kinda meh. This one doesn't should like it is. Used to be heavy in to Combat Arms back in the day. But hackers have wreaked that game pretty bad. 

I would say it takes a lot to upgrade your ships unless your have premium. The game though really isn't too grindy till after you get to around teir 7 ships. Its not really pay to win, tatics are much more important and you need to work with your team. Armor penetration mechanics are pretty important to know, as different hits affect enemy ships in different ways and the amount of HP damage they actually do. Like if an AP round that penetrates the citadel (core internals basically) will do a LOT of damage (I've actually one shot cruisers with a battleship this way) but if you overpen their bow then you'll only chink off a tiny bit of health.

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I believe JayzTwoCents does an ad for them from time to time and Linus(LTT) as well.

No, not those. From a player. That way, (over time, assuming they continue playing), the new player would get in total 28 days of premium, Warspite (a tier 6 ship that one would actually want because history stuffs, instead of a tier 4 ship no one really cares about from J2C code), and some other stuff no one cares about. In addition to the recruiter getting some stuff + the recruiter gets cashback in doubloons, worth 10% of the total cost of whatever the recruits purchase.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Used to be heavy in to Combat Arms back in the day. But hackers have wreaked that game pretty bad. 

Pretty much everything is handled server side. So the client gets no data about ships that you should not know the location of, shell trajectories are server side, ship positions are server side etc. I sometimes got accused of hacking, though, which I just find hilarious.

1 hour ago, RAM555789 said:

Armor penetration mechanics are pretty important to know

For a beginner, I would actually disagree. I really recommend starting with cruisers (IJN ones should be especially beginner friendly), and focusing on positioning, importance of caps, basic aiming, torpedobeats etc. They can use HE by default, and slowly learn when to use AP. Not the most effective method, but it should be more than fine to get a hang of the basics. Although I may be biased, as I am a cruiser main, that leans slightly on the farming side.

12 hours ago, seon123 said:

cruisers

This really only hold up till tier 4 where battleships start to become more important. Beyond that even cruisers can be effective against battleships if they angle their armor right to prevent pens. T1-T3 will teach you all the basics you need to know for aiming, capping, torpedo's, HE because your given all those tools from the start. I would say most people can figure out those basic concepts, but in the higher tiers its those that can use armor, understand how and when to use AP that really start to separate those who win battles and continue to progress vs losses and a lot more grind. 

26 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

but in the higher tiers its those that can use armor, understand how and when to use AP that really start to separate those who win battles and continue to progress vs losses and a lot more grind. 

Maybe I do it instinctively without thinking about it, but I'm pretty sure I would be able to still keep a decent WR in my Zao without worrying about using the armour properly, and by only spamming HE, and focusing on positioning and capping :3

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I just think there's more important things to focus on. And I regularly see people with a few thousand battles still struggle to get into position. But tbf, I'm no super unicum

It has a high skill ceiling and can be frustrating at first.

But, if you persevere and attempt to use tactics, and to understand naval tactics in general, it begins to offer an engaging and very cerebral experience...at least by modern gaming standards. 

I got 4 days off for Christmas and for new years. So I think Ill download it and put some time in to it.