[Update: Bug existed in Insider Builds since August] Chkdsk is supposedly corrupting SSDs on Windows 10

rcmaehl
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

News update:

• Microsoft confirmed the issue.
  • Affects only a small group of people.
  • Microsoft released a fix.
  • Microsoft provides a fix for affected users.

This issue is resolved and should now be prevented automatically on non-managed devices. Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for the resolution to propagate to non-managed devices. Restarting your device might help the resolution apply to your device faster. For enterprise-managed devices that have installed this update and encountered this issue, it can be resolved by installing and configuring a special Group Policy. To find out more about using Group Policies, see Group Policy Overview.

To mitigate this issue on devices which have already encountered this issue and are unable to start up, use the following steps:

1. The device should automatically start up into the Recovery Console after failing to start up a few times.
  2. Select Advanced options.
  3. Select Command Prompt from the list of actions.
  4. Once Command Prompt opens, type: chkdsk /f
  5. Allow chkdsk to complete the scan, this can take a little while. Once it has completed, type: exit
  6. The device should now start up as expected. If it restarts into Recovery Console, select Exit and continue to Windows 10.

Note After completing these steps, the device might automatically run chkdsk again on restart. It should start up as expected once it has completed.

Source: December 8, 2020—KB4592438 (OS Builds 19041.685 and 19042.685) (microsoft.com)

7 minutes ago, StDragon said:

For Home and Pro versions, 1809 was EOLed Nov 10, 2020

but that wasn't my question, I wanted to know if it's affected (I'm pretty sure I already did a Chkdsk, but not from command prompt, though idk for certain) because then I would have to do this policy fix which I'd rather not due to how cumbersome this is. 

Also what does "eol" mean in this context? 

because I can guarantee you they will shove the newest update on my pc as soon I switch it back on and give back ownership to "trusted installer" (which will never happen btw the PC now belongs to ME) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

but that wasn't my question, I wanted to know if it's affected (I'm pretty sure I already did a Chkdsk, but not from command prompt, though idk for certain) because then I would have to do this policy fix which I'd rather not due to how cumbersome this is. 

Also what does "eol" mean in this context? 

because I can guarantee you they will shove the newest update on my pc as soon I switch it back on and give back ownership to "trusted installer" (which will never happen btw the PC now belongs to ME) 

EOL means End of Life

Per Microsoft

"IMPORTANT Windows 10, version 1809 reached end of service on November 10, 2020 for devices running Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation, and IoT Core editions. These devices will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10."

16 hours ago, StDragon said:

EOL means End of Life

isn't this an oxymoron though? they only let you postpone half a year anyways, or maybe one year max... but not really, more like 8 months last time I "checked", so after that period (let's be generous and say "one year") you will be kinda forced to update anyway - yes you can just not do it but then your Windows will suddenly get very slow mysteriously and your hard drives somehow never stop being in use either... but after that year there is simply no support anymore no matter what, the only options are update to get new "features" and lose the ones you use (likely) or simply not do it and still don't get any support... 

But ok, I get it, they basically say EOL to inform you that the grace period is over and you better update now, or else...! 

🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

isn't this an oxymoron though? they only let you postpone half a year anyways, or maybe one year max... but not really, more like 8 months last time I "checked", so after that period (let's be generous and say "one year") you will be kinda forced to update anyway - yes you can just not do it but then your Windows will suddenly get very slow mysteriously and your hard drives somehow never stop being in use either... but after that year there is simply no support anymore no matter what, the only options are update to get new "features" and lose the ones you use (likely) or simply not do it and still don't get any support... 

But ok, I get it, they basically say EOL to inform you that the grace period is over and you better update now, or else...! 

EOL simply means end of support for that product or revision.

Depending on the product, you can pay extra for extended support, but that's not purely profit as it is paying the staff to hold on to the knowledge base and skillset to continue support. But progress is like a wave, you move with progress so you're always with it. Stand still, and it will leave you behind and isolated from official support.

If you've ever worked in IT, you know that budgeting for proactive replacement is of paramount importance. The whole stack (network, server hardware, OS, applications) must be kept up in compliance. Chatting up the forums for unofficial "work-arounds"  and scavenging for parts on eBay is not a fun place to be. That can lead to significant security exposure and/or downtime.

All products have a lifecycle; empower yourself to know that now so you can plan accordingly.