[Update: Bug existed in Insider Builds since August] Chkdsk is supposedly corrupting SSDs on Windows 10

rcmaehl
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

News update:

• Microsoft confirmed the issue.
  • Affects only a small group of people.
  • Microsoft released a fix.
  • Microsoft provides a fix for affected users.

This issue is resolved and should now be prevented automatically on non-managed devices. Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for the resolution to propagate to non-managed devices. Restarting your device might help the resolution apply to your device faster. For enterprise-managed devices that have installed this update and encountered this issue, it can be resolved by installing and configuring a special Group Policy. To find out more about using Group Policies, see Group Policy Overview.

To mitigate this issue on devices which have already encountered this issue and are unable to start up, use the following steps:

1. The device should automatically start up into the Recovery Console after failing to start up a few times.
  2. Select Advanced options.
  3. Select Command Prompt from the list of actions.
  4. Once Command Prompt opens, type: chkdsk /f
  5. Allow chkdsk to complete the scan, this can take a little while. Once it has completed, type: exit
  6. The device should now start up as expected. If it restarts into Recovery Console, select Exit and continue to Windows 10.

Note After completing these steps, the device might automatically run chkdsk again on restart. It should start up as expected once it has completed.

Source: December 8, 2020—KB4592438 (OS Builds 19041.685 and 19042.685) (microsoft.com)

Update:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/12/20/windows-10-critical-bug-crashes-some-pcs-if-you-use-chkdsk-feature/

The good news is that the problem is rare and it was flagged by Insiders in August

https://twitter.com/thebookisclosed/status/1298628473414725634 (twitter embed is being funky, you'll have to manually click)

Summary

Users running the Windows 10 20H2 update have reported that the Chkdsk tool is corrupting SSDs.

Quotes

Windows 10 20H2, appears to have a bug that may damage the file system of the Windows partition. Reports suggest that running ChkDsk on these devices may damage the file system and cause blue screens on the first reboot of the system after the check disk operation completes. One administrator discovered the issue after upgrading systems to Windows 10 20H2 and running the command chkdsk c: /f after the update installation. The command checks drive C: for errors to repair... if any are found. The command would find numerous errors in a file called "9" and an error in the BITMAP attribute of the Master File Table. The devices threw the stop error NTFS File System on reboot.  Analysis of an active device,... showed...the Windows drive partition was returned as a RAW partition, suggesting that the repairs of the Check Disk tool damaged the NTFS file system. The cumulative update KB4592438, released on December 8, 2020 as part of the December 2020 Patch Tuesday, seems to be the cause of the issue. Administrators should back up the Windows partition prior to running Check Disk on devices running Windows 10 20H2 with the December 2020 update installed. Microsoft has not confirmed the issue.

My thoughts

You were the chosen one! You were supposed to repair the disks, not destroy them! Jokes aside, this isn't good. Whether it be Windows automatic troubleshooting running the tool, a user running it themselves, or it being used in a corporate environment as part of a script; This may likely do a lot of damage to various systems.

Sources

Ghacks (quote source)

Planet 3D (German)

Hardware Info (Dutch)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Huh... So instead of fixing issues, it just nukes itself.

Sounds like a feature to me.

It has been confirmed that a fresh Windows 10 20H2 installation is not affected.

SAAAAAFE!!!!
I can add that to my list of why I always do a clean install of Windows whenever they release a big update.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I can add that to my list of why I always do a clean install of Windows whenever they release a big update.

lmao i just do a clean install of windows whenever im too lazy to clean and organize my desktop

I reinstalled a few days ago and it defaulted to 2004, not 20H2.

I really don't want to have to do a fresh install.

elephants

Boot to a live-USB or live-CD containing utility fsck - like SystemRescue or going to root within the live-distro's terminal emulator to

fsck /dev/sdX

but only after unmounting it

umount /dev/sdX

and see if this works for you.

not unmounting will corrupt the partition or drive.  Maybe something similar in chkdisk or whatever

I've actually run chkdsk a couple times already on my SSD with Windows 10 20H2...oh well!!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

16 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I reinstalled a few days ago and it defaulted to 2004, not 20H2.

I really don't want to have to do a fresh install.

How did you reinstall? Did you use the Reset feature of Windows 10?

Did you get the latest ISO/Bootable USB files from Microsoft ? Or did you reuse one that you already had?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

How did you reinstall? Did you use the Reset feature of Windows 10?

Did you get the latest ISO/Bootable USB files from Microsoft ? Or did you reuse one that you already had?

Booted into Recovery Mode and chose the "Internet Boot" reinstall reset option.

elephants

yeah, 20H2 is randomly buggy, my aunt's google chrome can not retain its google login sync at all.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Yet another data destroying bug in windows? LMFAO 🤣

It almost feels like they dot it on purpose

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I just checked, I do have this KB update installed though. No issues, haven't done chkdsk after it so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I've run it manually on all my drives on 20H2 and it caused me no problems. Must be a part of the troubleshooting feature or system specific.

Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB

Samsung 860 QVO RAID0 SSD 2*1TB

Seagate Barracuda HDD 3TB

"star wars" Meme Templates - Imgflip

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

or it being used in a corporate environment

Yeaah. No. Corporate environments often use LTS versions of Windows or/and take their time to update Windows so even if it does happen to everyone with an ssd (which it definitely doesn't), by the time a corporation updates the bug will be long gone. Or it would have never been there anyway if they were using a LTS version of Windows. 

21 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Huh... So instead of fixing issues, it just nukes itself.

Sounds like a feature to me.

The command is chkdsk /f

/f is for format. No?

It's like cars fuel gauge... people have it so confused.

F is for Fill and E is for Enough, it's simple!

13 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I've actually run chkdsk a couple times already on my SSD with Windows 10 20H2...oh well!!!

It doesn't affect everyone.

40 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yeaah. No. Corporate environments often use LTS versions of Windows or/and take their time to update Windows so even if it does happen to everyone with an ssd (which it definitely doesn't), by the time a corporation updates the bug will be long gone. Or it would have never been there anyway if they were using a LTS version of Windows. 

Hardly, kiosks and control machines sure but most just go with regular Windows 10 Enterprise otherwise you can get stuck with a Windows Kernel version that doesn't support a new feature in Teams or another Office 365 product etc.

Corporate patching is not handled by the Microsoft release schedules, you can roll out the Windows Updates when you choose to to any select number of computers you want, LTS isn't required unless you really do not want Kernel and feature updates at all.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It doesn't affect everyone.

I know all the computers in ITS are running Windows 10 20H2 with the December update and we haven't had any problems, granted I doubt anyone has run chkdsk (unless you have a problem why would you?). Not sure outside of ITS if it's been rolled out yet but I doubt it, that will happen in Jan/Feb though.