what parts would make this a full server

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not much for that usage, probably like 16gb would be my pick for that setup.

ok ram seems to be expensive so i don't want to over pay

i cannot find anything in the area that is not ridiculous i found one r720 for $899 and up and that way out of the budget 

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

i cannot find anything in the area that is not ridiculous i found one r720 for $899 and up and that way out of the budget 

How about other dual 2011 systems?

Or how about 1366 systems on ebay?

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

that is like mores code to me i can try to decode it but i still don't know much about servers

What used desktops are available locally? Id probably look for those then if there aren't many used servers available. Look up systems like the dell r710, dl 380 g6, r510, dl 180g6 and the lenovo versions.

in my area there are allot of the scam $1 creagslist pc and ancient core 2 dous but nothing remotely new unless the $1 10900k rtx 3090 system is real

I've checked fb marketplace, creagslist, and let but nothing in my price range is not fishy or are powerful enough core 2 duo and ancient i3 only

honestly reading through this thread it get the impression that you dont really need a server in terms of real server hardware but that all you want is a system to tinker around on and to run as a server, which you can do with basically any hardware.

Before you spend money on things you dont need think about what this server should do and then see if there are not better options for you then buying old server hardware.

Servers are loud and power hungry, unless you have any physical limitations that force you to use a rack mounted server you can simply use any case or depending on what you want to do even a raspberry pi can be a server.

10 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

honestly reading through this thread it get the impression that you dont really need a server in terms of real server hardware but that all you want is a system to tinker around on and to run as a server, which you can do with basically any hardware.

Before you spend money on things you dont need think about what this server should do and then see if there are not better options for you then buying old server hardware.

Servers are loud and power hungry, unless you have any physical limitations that force you to use a rack mounted server you can simply use any case or depending on what you want to do even a raspberry pi can be a server.

it is a tanker system but i also need a server because by other one went up with the shed. I want it to be a nas for 7 remote users and me locally  i also will have it be a plex server and a Mc server for 10 people noise is no obstacle and either is power as long as it is under 1000 watts, and rack mounting is no obstacle but price is

2 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

could this be mounted sideways odd question 

Could be mounted any direction that you wish, just make sure its secure. Having a server fall is a great way to ruin your day. ;)

47 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Could be mounted any direction that you wish, just make sure its secure. Having a server fall is a great way to ruin your day. ;)

yah i have a desk with a hollow spot meant for cable management but it would perfectly fit this sideways and depth should be no issue 

16 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

it is a tanker system but i also need a server because by other one went up with the shed. I want it to be a nas for 7 remote users and me locally  i also will have it be a plex server and a Mc server for 10 people noise is no obstacle and either is power as long as it is under 1000 watts, and rack mounting is no obstacle but price is

how fast is your internet connection, especially the upload is going to be very important with so many users using this server from outside your network.

i am getting a gigabit connection from my school next year because apparently engineering students need one but hay free gigabit ethernet.

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

how fast is your internet connection, especially the upload is going to be very important with so many users using this server from outside your network.

16 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

how many cores dose this have

Depends on the chip you select, 2 and 4 cores are the only options for that board I believe

29 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

where can i find non registered ecc memory i don't know if i am blind but i can't find ram for this server.

ebay is your friend.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, the gamer that is bad said:

i am getting a gigabit connection from my school next year because apparently engineering students need one but hay free gigabit ethernet.

Are ports open? You likely can't host anything on the conenction

On 12/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the chip you select, 2 and 4 cores are the only options for that board I believe

ebay is your friend.

Are ports open? You likely can't host anything on the conenction

1 on the listing it says 8 cores 

2 I've checked but it says o listings under ddr3 etc non registered

and we can host anything we like because our teacher wants me to "learn how to be an engineer" aka do whatever you want they already gave us the money

3 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

1 on the listing it says 8 cores 

2 I've checked but it says o listings under ddr3 etc non registered

and we can host anything we like because our teacher wants me to "learn how to be an engineer" aka do whatever you want they already gave us the money

the compatible cpus for that board and  4 cores max.

1 hour ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Those pictures are registered ram, looks like description is wrong. Model number is also for registered. You can see the little register chip on the ram.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

the compatible cpus for that board and  4 cores max.

Those pictures are registered ram, looks like description is wrong. Model number is also for registered. You can see the little register chip on the ram.

ok i have no idea what i am looking for i just want to get a working server

1 minute ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Id just get a used desktop then. Pretty cheap, adn will let you play with most of the server tools you could want to.

3 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

You've been looking for at least 3 months now. At some point you are just going to have to man up and buy one.

i put in the order for the server today but the seller is on vacation till the 27th and i want to have ram with my server.

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

You've been looking for at least 3 months now. At some point you are just going to have to man up and buy one.