Should I Buy a Rtx 3080 or r7 5800x for my next upgrade?

Duckeee

I REALLY AM CLUELESS AND NEED HELP :(

current specs

-B450 aorus elite

-rtx 2060

-r5 3600

-750w psu

-16gb ram 2133mhz - waiting for stock 32gb ram 3600mhz 

SO what would I benefit more off? What would be the best option.

BTW i have a dual monitor set up and get lower frames when I play YouTube on the second monitor  

GAMES I PLAY

-Valorant - getting stutters idk why

-csgo

-r6 

-fortnite - frame drops from cpu

-doki doki literature

-GTA 5 - some times frame drop 

-ARK

Extra Notes...

I can wait for stock for either 3080 or r7 5800x just need to know what would benefit more off.

I can buy either but will save for the other option and buy it later just want to know what to buy first.

5800x Is kinda a bad Pricepoint CPU. Id wait to see if they lower it to around 300$ in 6 months. The 3080 will give you more performance but it will be limited by the 3600 you have for sure. But your 2060 holds you back even more.

1 minute ago, Duckeee said:

I REALLY AM CLUELESS AND NEED HELP :(

current specs

-B450 aorus elite

-rtx 2060

-r5 3600

-750w psu

-16gb ram 2133mhz

SO what would I benefit more off? What would be the best option.

BTW i have a dual monitor set up and get lower frames when I play YouTube on the second monitor  

GAMES I PLAY

-Valorant - getting stutters idk why

-csgo

-r6 

-fortnite - frame drops from cpu

-doki doki literature

-GTA 5 - some times frame drop 

-ARK

Extra Notes...

I can wait for stock for either 3080 or r7 5800x just need to know what would benefit more off.

The RTX 3070 would be plenty as an upgrade. No need for the 3080 unless you upgrade both cpu and gpu at the same time. Also keep in mind to enable XMP on your memory, it should run faster than 2133. It makes a difference in games, quite significant on AMD as well. What resolution are your monitors, do you play on both? If so, you may actually benefit from a 3080 but you will need more cpu horse power at the same time and a stronger power supply.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

5800x Is kinda a bad Pricepoint CPU. Id wait to see if they lower it to around 300$ in 6 months. The 3080 will give you more performance but it will be limited by the 3600 you have for sure. But your 2060 holds you back even more.

probably will have stock in 6 months so i will wait to see if there is a price drop. But how much is my rtx 2060 holding me back and how much improvement will be seen from the 3080 over my 2060?

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

The RTX 3070 would be plenty as an upgrade. No need for the 3080 unless you upgrade both cpu and gpu at the same time. Also keep in mind to enable XMP on your memory, it should run faster than 2133. It makes a difference in games, quite significant on AMD as well. What resolution are your monitors, do you play on both? If so, you may actually benefit from a 3080 but you will need more cpu horse power at the same time and a stronger power supply.

i have 1080p monitors a 60hz and a 240hz aw2518hf and yes I play on both. What cpu should I upgrade to if not the r7 5800x?

Btw I don't really need to worry about psu's atm as I can upgrade for free whenever I want.         

Just now, Duckeee said:

i have 1080p monitors a 60hz and a 240hz aw2518hf and yes I play on both. What cpu should I upgrade to if not the r7 5800x?

Btw I don't really need to worry about psu's atm as I can upgrade for free whenever I want.         

The 5800X is nice but overkill unless you want cutting edge performance. A 3700X would do the job as well. I would assume the 5800X will drop in price once supplies catch up, making it a better deal than right now so maybe wait until that happens. 

2 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

But how much is my rtx 2060 holding me back and how much improvement will be seen from the 3080 over my 2060?

Without at least half decent 3200 rated ram you're hamstringing that ryzen processor, it may be part of your stutter issue considering how much extra intra-core latency you have running such a slow fabric and memory clock. Are you seriously just running jdec rated modules, or just forget to set them up properly? Before investing in any other parts I would rectify the memory to at least 3200 cl16

1 minute ago, Arrogath said:

Without at least half decent 3200 rated ram you're hamstringing that ryzen processor, it may be part of your stutter issue considering how much extra intra-core latency you have running such a slow fabric and memory clock. Are you seriously just running jdec rated modules, or just forget to set them up properly? Before investing in any other parts I would rectify the memory to at least 3200 cl16

Whats jdec :( 

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

also btw I can buy 32gb ram as well as the rtx 3080 or cpu and I was going to do that anyways i just didn't include that cause i just wanted to know rtx 3080 or r7 5800x. i'll update the ram now.

2 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

Whats jdec :( 

What ram do you have right now? Brand and model number would help a ton. You might have all you need to have more performance.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

What ram do you have right now? Brand and model number would help a ton. You might have all you need to have more performance.

idk i'm clueless on that kind of stuff. i'll just search a definition and figure it out.

idk i'm clueless on that kind of stuff. i'll just search a definition and figure it out.

If you look at your RAM, what words do you see on it? Might be "Ripjaws, Vengeance, Ballistix" or any other name on a sticker that could be branding. You could always find out for sure by taking it out. If there's nothing on either side, see if you can post a picture of it.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

If you look at your RAM, what words do you see on it? Might be "Ripjaws, Vengeance, Ballistix" or any other name on a sticker that could be branding. You could always find out for sure by taking it out. If there's nothing on either side, see if you can post a picture of it.

can i just tell u what ram I got atm and am getting?

can i just tell u what ram I got atm and am getting?

Yeah, what ram do you have now? There's a good chance that it can run faster than 2133 mhz and there's just a step that was forgotten when that pc was put together.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

I currently have Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz Memory and getting Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Memory 

Just now, Duckeee said:

I currently have Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz Memory and getting Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Memory 

Ohhh, so you do have a kit of 2133 mhz. I'd wait on a CPU or GPU. The faster RAM might be enough to get what you're wanting out of an upgrade. 

As far as the rest of it, if you still wanted to upgrade CPU or GPU, I'd just go through a normal day's use on your computer and find out what is holding you back. Without using the RT, that is still a very capable GPU. I'm using 2 UW 1440p monitors on a 2070 and don't typically have issues with it. Open resource monitors in your games. If the CPU usage is really high, but GPU is low, that means you'd want a new CPU. I haven't played Valorant or Doki Doki, but besides GTA V, the rest of those games will be a little more reliant on your ram and CPU. I would also probably think about the 5 5600x instead of the 5800x. They're running super hot. I'm about to try one in an ITX build. It's kind of the sweet spot for what I do, but you might look at the 5600x just for price and ability to cool. It's a very capable little CPU.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Ohhh, so you do have a kit of 2133 mhz. I'd wait on a CPU or GPU. The faster RAM might be enough to get what you're wanting out of an upgrade. 

As far as the rest of it, if you still wanted to upgrade CPU or GPU, I'd just go through a normal day's use on your computer and find out what is holding you back. Without using the RT, that is still a very capable GPU. I'm using 2 UW 1440p monitors on a 2070 and don't typically have issues with it. Open resource monitors in your games. If the CPU usage is really high, but GPU is low, that means you'd want a new CPU. I haven't played Valorant or Doki Doki, but besides GTA V, the rest of those games will be a little more reliant on your ram and CPU. I would also probably think about the 5 5600x instead of the 5800x. They're running super hot. I'm about to try one in an ITX build. It's kind of the sweet spot for what I do, but you might look at the 5600x just for price and ability to cool. It's a very capable little CPU.

ok thx