Is B550 worth it?

Big-Boy

I am looking to buy a R5 5600 and an RTX 3080. But i am confused about which Motherboard i should get. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING or its B550 counter part. Is there a major difference other than the PCIe gen4? What about ryzen 5000 support?. Audio? VRM temps? ease of overclocking? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts and recommendations?

the vrms on the b450 strix-f are terrible, while the ones on the b550 strix-f are excellent. because of this, you won't be able to overclock on this particular b450 board.

ryzen 5000 support only comes from a beta bios on the b450 boards. not sure whether that has been released yet, and even then, you'll need an older 2000 or 3000 series cpu to update bios on it, as that board doesn't support bios flashback.

overall, i would not recommend at all the b450 strix-f.

the b550 strix-f is excellent, but there are other cheaper alternatives that work very well if you're not stuck to the rog strix design

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the vrms on the b450 strix-f are terrible, while the ones on the b550 strix-f are excellent. because of this, you won't be able to overclock on this particular b450 board.

ryzen 5000 support only comes from a beta bios on the b450 boards. not sure whether that has been released yet, and even then, you'll need an older 2000 or 3000 series cpu to update bios on it, as that board doesn't support bios flashback.

overall, i would not recommend at all the b450 strix-f.

the b550 strix-f is excellent, but there are other cheaper alternatives that work very well if you're not stuck to the rog strix design

Yeah i agree but but ive seen a 5600x run on the b450 board. And i also have an R5 3600 in hand so updating the bios wont be a problem. What b450 you think will be great instead of the B550 board?

Just now, Big-Boy said:

Yeah i agree but but ive seen a 5600x run on the b450 board. And i also have an R5 3600 in hand so updating the bios wont be a problem. 

so do you ahve the b450 board already?

Just now, Big-Boy said:

What b450 you think will be great instead of the B550 board?

why exactly do you want to stick to b450, when b550 was designed and optimised for the 5000 series? 

is it cost? there are good cheap b550 boards that perform much better than similarly priced b450 boards. what's your budget and what country are you buying from?

1 minute ago, Big-Boy said:

Yeah i agree but but ive seen a 5600x run on the b450 board. And i also have an R5 3600 in hand so updating the bios wont be a problem. What b450 you think will be great instead of the B550 board?

Huh? You won't be able to overclock your CPU, but it will run.

Why B450? B550 is approx the same price as B450 was before it came around

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Currently in the US now. I have a msi b450 pro gaming carbon but ive tried many times to update the bios but it just doesn't want to for some reason. So might as well buy a new motherboard and use the current one for a different PC. And i don't think buying a better and more expensive motherboard is really a good way to spend money since it doesn't give you extra performance.

3 minutes ago, Big-Boy said:

msi b450 pro gaming carbon

that's much better than the b450 strix-f and could work with the 5600x quite well. i'd try to get that bios sorted.

the b450 strix-f is $130, which is a complete rip-off.

i'd get one of these,which are all better than the b450 strix-f, for less than $130:

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

that's much better than the b450 strix-f and could work with the 5600x quite well. i'd try to get that bios sorted.

the b450 strix-f is $130, which is a complete rip-off.

i'd get one of these,which are all better than the b450 strix-f, for less than $130:

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. I Didn't know that these motherboards are much better. Thank you.