Will this cooler fit ?

venomx

The NH-U12S fits on AM4 motherboards, whether it fits in your case, well depends on the case you have.

What case do you have?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Most case manufacturers list the maximum dimensions of the cooler which can fit inside the case on their website. Check them :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ID-COOLING-SE-224-XT-Basic-Heatpipes-Cooling/dp/B082V7TCSB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=se+224+xt&qid=1608124873&s=computers&sr=1-3

Thats perhaps 1-2C worse at max and costs less than half. U12S chromax is pretty much the worse value air-cooler out there and its silly to put that on a 30£ motherboard :D

Is it best to have the fan facing inside the computer, or outwards ? I have a fan on the back of my tower too.

The red fan is pulling air in...

50727071567-1778aa58fc-o.jpg

Anyone advise ? How do I set up the fan so it's the right way ? My rear fan on the tower pulls air into the computer

13 hours ago, venomx said:

Is it best to have the fan facing inside the computer, or outwards ? I have a fan on the back of my tower too.

The red fan is pulling air in...

The rear fan in the photo seems to be an exhaust as opposed to intake. Most fans exhaust out the side with the fan frame. 

Why are you planning to replace your cooler? What are you hoping to improve?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Quieter fan, and just an upgrade. 

Apparently my rear red fan is facing the wrong way and its supposed to be blowing air out the case and not in. Is that true? 

50 minutes ago, venomx said:

Quieter fan, and just an upgrade. 

Apparently my rear red fan is facing the wrong way and its supposed to be blowing air out the case and not in. Is that true? 

As mentioned, the rear fan looks like an exhaust already from the photo which is fine. If you hold some paper behind the case, you can see which direction the airflow is going.

If you're aiming for lower noise, there are cheaper options available like the Pure Rock 2: https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-accessories/computer-components/cooling/cpu-coolers/be-quiet!-pure-rock-2--p5356891

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The fan is blowing air into the computer. 

I am unable to turn the fan around as it's only designed to fit one way.

I need a new case fan, so I can use it as an exhaust  would the arctic p12 or f12 be best ?

No problem. Even a NH-D15 fit in that case!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 hours ago, venomx said:

The fan is blowing air into the computer. 

I am unable to turn the fan around as it's only designed to fit one way.

I need a new case fan, so I can use it as an exhaust  would the arctic p12 or f12 be best ?

How are you determining the airflow direction? What makes it designed to only fit one way? The photo doesn't show much but it seems similar to a standard fan frame. 

The Arctic P12 is better. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I put a tiny bit of plastic sheet at the front fans and it's pulling inwards. I put the plastic by the rear case fan and it's definitely pulling away from the computer in an exhaust style  :D

so it is installed in the right way, ( an exhaust style )

Best way to remove thermal paste, rubbing alcohol swabs ?

Just now, venomx said:

Best way to remove thermal paste, rubbing alcohol swabs ?

I use Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tips, gets the job done easily and cleanly

A PC Enthusiast/Gamer since 1994
Network Infrastructure Technician since 1998
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 4GHz | nVidia RTX 2080ti Founders Edition - Core @ 1350MHz/1840MHz (Boost), Memory @ 7000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1491cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 8909

Thanks dude.

I bought some noctua cpu cleaner stuff, expensive, but very highly rated, especially as i'd rather not buy a huge bottle of alcohol lolz.

Wont need to take out the mobo to install it ?

Also how do you know which way to install the heatsink , which way is left and right ? I know which way to do the fan 

6 hours ago, venomx said:

Wont need to take out the mobo to install it ?

Also how do you know which way to install the heatsink , which way is left and right ? I know which way to do the fan 

The case has a motherboard tray that should allow cooler installation without removing the motherboard.

The cooler is symmetrical which means you just need to make sure the fan is facing the same direction as the other case fans. What you have in the photo seems fine. 

Half way through installation now.

Got a tiny bit of old thermal paste on the black bit just below the  cpu. Tried my best to get it off 

20201221_143042.jpg