Gigabyte GTX1080TI OC Painful RMA Process and denied out of warranty repair as well. What to do next?

Catatonic

Hello Everybody,

I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI OC GPU and it was working perfectly fine for around 2.5 years until now. I started my RMA Process with Gigabyte and it took quite a while to get a response from them. Finally I got one and it was 'Phyiscal Damage/Unrepairable; Warranty Voided' . Obviously I was upset. Then I reached out to customer support for Out of Warranty repair options and they told me to reach back to RMA team again which I did and that took forever as well. Finally they said this card is not repairable and that was it. Please let me know if I'm wrong but it looks like an easy fix or at least something can be done. Also I swapped my card's stock cooler with a NZXT liquid cooler the day I purchased and it worked like that for 2.5 years. I am thinking that Gigabyte refuses to repair my card due to this. Also I want to repair this card if I can, since Gigabyte is no help is there another way to get this repaired.

FIY, the lights come on and the fans are spinning on the graphics card, but the computer boots up to a black screen. If I plug the HDMI to my motherboard the pc boots up to desktop but it resets around 5-6 min after booting up. Please let me know if I can do anything to save this card.

1.jpg

2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

Also I want to repair this card if I can, since Gigabyte is no help is there another way to get this repaired.

lol gigabyte gets two threads complaining about them in the same day haha

i cant tell if it's fixable from this angle, but it probably is, you can find a board repair shop and send it in to them

or if you're handy with soldering iron, you can attempt it yourself tho only if you know what you're doing because its a very small SMD

do you still have the SMD?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

a board repair shop

A warning to OP: There are a lot of charlatans out there that have no idea what they are doing.

If you are in the US then the Warranty Void sticker is illegal and should be ignored by the manufacturer.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I'm really handy with hardware but soldering is not my thing unfortunately. I just can't understand why Gigabyte refuses to repair even though if I want to pay it. I asked them if my card is trash now and they pretty much said there's a physical damage on the card and that's impossible to repair. These pics are sent by Gigabyte btw and the first one is just missing screws. I didn't have the original ones since it's been a while since I swapped it with the liquid cooler. The second picture is the actual problem with the card.

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If you are in the US then the Warranty Void sticker is illegal and should be ignored by the manufacturer.

I live in the US and I asked Gigabyte many times about the repair and got the same reply every time. This GPU can't be repaired. This was the original resolution by the RMA department btw;

Phyiscal Damage/Unrepairable; Warranty Voided

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

A warning to OP: There are a lot of charlatans out there that have no idea what they are doing.

yes but guess what there is nothing you can do about it the reason companies get away with it is because you have to sue them to fix the issue and that would cost more then the card so you suggestion is useless and misleading to everyone, you cant force gigabyte to fix it so why give him hope by saying they have to because the sticker is illegal   

1 hour ago, Catatonic said:

I'm really handy with hardware but soldering is not my thing unfortunately. I just can't understand why Gigabyte refuses to repair even though if I want to pay it. I asked them if my card is trash now and they pretty much said there's a physical damage on the card and that's impossible to repair. These pics are sent by Gigabyte btw and the first one is just missing screws. I didn't have the original ones since it's been a while since I swapped it with the liquid cooler. The second picture is the actual problem with the card.

I live in the US and I asked Gigabyte many times about the repair and got the same reply every time. This GPU can't be repaired. This was the original resolution by the RMA department btw;

Phyiscal Damage/Unrepairable; Warranty Voided

im gonna guess they dont want to repair it is because your warranty is technically voided and they dont want to deal with the time and money to possibly fix your gpu, you best bet is to just bring it to someone who knows how to solder    

this looks just like a capacitor is "blown up"? 

Thats like a super easy and cheap fix... 

idk that seems really scummy. And if you still have actually warranty, I'd probably ask a lawyer tbh... 

Otherwise it is an easy fix most likely, just difficult to find someone who can do it probably. 

Tbh you could probably do it yourself, with some practice... but then the parts you needed etc won't come cheap either. Cheap soldering irons for example are trash, and you'd need a relatively good one for that as it actually is a "micro" SMD 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

41 minutes ago, NoahFE said:

yes but guess what there is nothing you can do about it the reason companies get away with it

Exactly my thoughts and they will argue with saying they didn't void it due to the missing screws they voided because of the 'PCB damage' that's what the customer support told me.

31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats like a super easy and cheap fix... 

That's how it looks to me as well. The only reason they didn't want to do it is because I opened the card and they probably blame me for removing the screws which I did like years ago and that didn't damage anything. It blows my mind how horrible their customer support is. I opened my RMA process beginning of October and it's been two months with no results. I %100 won't be getting any Gigabyte products for future that's for sure.

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

To me it looks like a ripped pad,where the pad should be there is a typical ripped pad mark.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

13 hours ago, Catatonic said:

I %100 won't be getting any Gigabyte products for future that's for sure.

Tell that to them,it may work.