What causing this AMD driver timeout error?

Curesto

Hi, i've been witnessing this error from Adrenalin 20.8.3, 20.9.1, 20.11.1, 20.11.3 and now WHQL 20.12.1. I don't have any problems one running games or softwares but sometimes this error occures. Sometimes, game crashes while opening screen and this error occurs.

GPU model: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit

What should i do? Thanks. It says: "We're detected an driver timeout error on your system. An error log has been created. This error log may help the AMD to fix the error"

Desktop_2020_12_13_17_30_26_027.thumb.png.ca11cabceceebd2fd0ae230dcd624df2.pngDesktop_2020_12_13_17_30_50_288.thumb.png.3d67e17c59d535a2765b5c03df9be5d7.png

It just reports driver crashes, which can be triggered by overheating graphics card or just AMDs shitty drivers. Have you stress tested your graphics card recently?

FOR ANYONE COMING INTO THIS THREAD FROM GOOGLE, DO NOT BLINDLY FOLLOW THINGS WRITTEN OR LINKED IN THIS THREAD. CREATE YOUR OWN THREAD SO THAT YOU CAN GET THE CORRECT ANSWER. THIS GUYS ISSUE WAS THAT HIS CARD WAS OVERHEATING, YOURS MAY NOT BE.

Edited by Levent
PSA

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

It just reports driver crashes, which can be triggered by overheating graphics card or just AMDs shitty drivers. Have you stress tested your graphics card recently?

It has overheating problem, it hits 95 degress because of fans are stopping working for some weird reason and starts throttling.

I'm getting this issue as well on my brand new Gigabyte Radeon RX 580. I'm doing a clean install of the drivers, I was running 20.12.1, I am rolling back to 20.11.2. I've already checked for power issues, but I'm running a 650 Rosewill Photon gold, which is above the recommended power needed by the gpu according to Newegg -- 500W.

3 hours ago, Curesto said:

It has overheating problem, it hits 95 degress because of fans are stopping working for some weird reason and starts throttling.

Fans can be replaced easily.

Spend a few bucks and replace them

3 hours ago, tech.guru said:

Fans can be replaced easily.

Spend a few bucks and replace them

I've been thinking about the replaced them with destkop fans. But, i don't have any idea how to do replace them.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:49 AM, nuclearleaf1 said:

I'm getting this issue as well on my brand new Gigabyte Radeon RX 580. I'm doing a clean install of the drivers, I was running 20.12.1, I am rolling back to 20.11.2. I've already checked for power issues, but I'm running a 650 Rosewill Photon gold, which is above the recommended power needed by the gpu according to Newegg -- 500W.

Have had this error with two amd GPUs now, a rx580 and a 5600xt. Both were in the same system, and both have the same driver error. I am beginning to think the drivers are broken, however my machine with an rx570 works perfectly fine. 

On 12/13/2020 at 7:50 AM, Levent said:

My brothers system has had this problem for weeks, started at the cyberpunk launch oddly enough. I have used two different GPUs in his system, rx580 and 5600xt, and both have the same problem, however my system with an rx570 it is perfectly fine. Not sure what could be causing the issue, possibly an app conflicting with the drivers?

On 12/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, -_monolith said:

My brothers system has had this problem for weeks, started at the cyberpunk launch oddly enough. I have used two different GPUs in his system, rx580 and 5600xt, and both have the same problem, however my system with an rx570 it is perfectly fine. Not sure what could be causing the issue, possibly an app conflicting with the drivers?

I'm experiencing the same issue here with a rx580 Sapphire nitro.

Tried 4 different driver versions, without any change.

Sometimes it crashes when I try to start the game.

Sometimes it crashes when the game is running.

I'm considering to get a Geforce, I've found so many complains over this bugs, both for polaris and rdna cards.

In my experience the crashes were caused by cyberpunk 2077, which for some reason was conflicting with the drivers on that card. After uninstalling the game everything has been working fine.

I have the same problem with my RX590 Nitro+ SE, where it crashes every time with the same driver timeout occurred error. I noticed it usually happens when card hits that 74-75 degrees mark. Now it started underperform and crash even in games that were working great before, even in not that demanding games, such as ETS 2. Could it just be faulty drivers or it's something else? If anyone solve the issue, please respond or post it here. :) 

On 12/22/2020 at 3:56 AM, -_monolith said:

In my experience the crashes were caused by cyberpunk 2077, which for some reason was conflicting with the drivers on that card. After uninstalling the game everything has been working fine.

And to be fair... people are reporting this for NV too, except there even driver rollback doesn't seem to fix it... something is up with this game... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give an update. I finally figured out what was going wrong with my gigabyte rx 580 tonight. 

The graphics card came over locked out of the box. I went into the Radeon software > performance > tuning and turned down the gpu speeds from ~1300 to 1215 and that seemed to fix the driver timeouts for now.

I was only able to do some light debugging, but the usual causes of the driver timeouts no longer caused a crash (photoshop, web browsing, window resizing, and Radeon software all used to cause driver timeouts).

Hopefully this is helpful, troubleshooting this was a pain in the butt.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:03 AM, nuclearleaf1 said:

I just wanted to give an update. I finally figured out what was going wrong with my gigabyte rx 580 tonight. 

The graphics card came over locked out of the box. I went into the Radeon software > performance > tuning and turned down the gpu speeds from ~1300 to 1215 and that seemed to fix the driver timeouts for now.

I was only able to do some light debugging, but the usual causes of the driver timeouts no longer caused a crash (photoshop, web browsing, window resizing, and Radeon software all used to cause driver timeouts).

Hopefully this is helpful, troubleshooting this was a pain in the butt.

Man, can you help me doing that step on the radeon software(turn down the gpu speeds), i got the same problem. i got a Rx 5500 xt XFX , 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I just had this probelm today, for me it was actually a very simple fix, after some time I found this help document on Microsoft's website, I just followed that and all my problems seemed to be sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this issue... the only thing I am doing is watching Youtube Videos... dont want to try any games as the might mess them up/// anyone find out how to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...

Funny i just got this error myself started a couple of days ago , when i play a game it randomly times out maybe once or twice during my game anyone found an issue with this or a problem that is this caused by ?

• 1 month later...

Same issue on my Radeon Pro W5500, I keep getting the timeout error when I editing in Adobe. I've tried all available drivers and still having issues with this card. I might give up and Radeon. This has put my work way behind on schedule since I just can't go pick up a few different cards and see works best for me. 

Just now, Pawneezr said:

Same issue on my Radeon Pro W5500, I keep getting the timeout error when I editing in Adobe. I've tried all available drivers and still having issues with this card. I might give up and Radeon. This has put my work way behind on schedule since I just can't go pick up a few different cards and see works best for me. 

I've fixed this issue by downgrading to Adrenalin 19.12.1 but, no idea about Workstation GPUs.

My friend's card has been having the same issue after updating drivers a few weeks ago. Cannot play or even watch anything without black screens and driver timeout. He tried installing two different older versions of the drivers with no avail. The oldest one I found for his card is 20.7.2 here https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-590 which didn't work. There's reddit threads with hundreds of comments about the same problem, but none of the fixes have helped so far.

3 hours ago, Justinsane2112 said:

My friend's card has been having the same issue after updating drivers a few weeks ago. Cannot play or even watch anything without black screens and driver timeout. He tried installing two different older versions of the drivers with no avail. The oldest one I found for his card is 20.7.2 here https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-590 which didn't work. There's reddit threads with hundreds of comments about the same problem, but none of the fixes have helped so far.

Try 19.12.1 version. It worked on my R9 280X.

6 hours ago, Justinsane2112 said:

Do you know where I can find that? It doesnt seem to be on the amd website.

Simply type to Google "AMD 19.12.1" it should be there.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:01 AM, Curesto said:

Made an account just to post a reply  --- I have a rx580 ---  Since I updated 6 months to a year ago I got random black screens while watching youtube vids and usually having a dozen or so tabs on Chrome open. Thought that I had too many tabs, recently updated to latest AMD driver and got black screens way more often, maybe every few mins watching a video. 

I downgraded to 19.12.1 like you recommended and no issues at all now!! Thank you for the solution, the UI on the newer software was nice and I don't know what custom settings I've lost for graphics (too lazy to go through and check them all atm), but they would've been useless with blackouts. Pog

On 4/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, Curesto said:

Try 19.12.1 version. It worked on my R9 280X.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 AM, Curesto said:

I was having this same issue with my RX 560, every minute and a half or so the screen would just go black, sometimes it would just outright crash my game, but usually it would result in a loss of visibility for a few seconds and make certain games (Eg: Dirt Rally and Counter Strike) unplayable. This was a very frustrating issue on top of the others this computer faces, but after rolling my drivers back to this exact version I haven't had a single flicker since. I was very glad to find this issue wasn't connected to any others and was very easy to solve. Thank you for posting this solution!