How to move UEFI to new boot device (SSD)

xDanielxOossiex

Please read this carefully (I'm Dutch so I might have a weird way of describing some things.)

Thanks in advance!

I recently built myself a new NAS Server pc. I bought a secondhand pc from a friend, for parts. (Current NAS specs below)

The pc had an old Windows account on it, but after some issues I managed to install fresh Win10Pro on the 256GB SSD. From there I got the 128GB SSD to work, so I have put Win10Pro on the 128GB SSD. After that I removed the 256GB SSD so I could use it in something else later on. I wanted to boot the pc again, but I got the Windows "boot device not found, insert bootable USB". I already knew what was up, the UEFI was still on the 256GB SSD which I removed. I put the 256SSD back, and it booted again.

Now my question is: How do I get the UEFI from the 256GB to the 128GB SSD, without reinstalling everything (I have already setup up until the Ubuntu part)

NAS specs:

i5 4690

8GB Adata RAM

1TB HDD

128GB SK Hynix SSD (for Windows 10 Pro (with Hyper-V -> Ubuntu VM running Nextcloud)

256GB Crucial MX100 SSD (currently has the UEFI on it, UEFI has to be moved to the 128GB SSD)

ASRock B85M Pro4

bequiet! Pure Power 350W

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Can you shrink the partition table, and then copy the EFI partition over to the other dirve.

Id really suggest just doing a reinstall though.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you shrink the partition table, and then copy the EFI partition over to the other dirve.

Id really suggest just doing a reinstall though.

Is it possible to make a backup of the VM in Hyper-V? Just so I don't have to do everything over again?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Is it possible to make a backup of the VM in Hyper-V? Just so I don't have to do everything over again?

Make a snapshot? Or use software like veeam for backups?

Id setup a good backup system before messing with this.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Make a snapshot? Or use software like veeam for backups?

Id setup a good backup system before messing with this.

I will just reinstall windows, it will probably save me from a lot of trouble in the future.