Can I buy 2 packs of 2x16gb 3600mhz of memory (~$200 each pack) over spending and extra 300 or 400 $ more to make up 64gb ram??

Duckeee
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Yes and no. the 4x16 pack SHOULD be rated to run exactly as that. Wheras the 2x16 are designed to run at just that. It can still work, but it also may not. Some kits play nice with each other.

Also do note it depend on your Memory controllers ability to run that on the CPU. Ryzen can be VERY picky about what ram you use, and Intel can be finicky as well with the higher capacity and speed kits. 

So basically can I like a pack of 2x16gb of memory of the same speed and same model etc. which might be $200 each over buying a 4x16gb pack of memory which might be $600-1000.

Yes and no. the 4x16 pack SHOULD be rated to run exactly as that. Wheras the 2x16 are designed to run at just that. It can still work, but it also may not. Some kits play nice with each other.

Also do note it depend on your Memory controllers ability to run that on the CPU. Ryzen can be VERY picky about what ram you use, and Intel can be finicky as well with the higher capacity and speed kits. 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

i have a ryzen 5 3600 what speed should i have and what brand of memory can u recommend?

Just now, Duckeee said:

i have a ryzen 5 3600 what speed should i have and what type can u recommend?

What is the workflow that you need the 64GB of ram with the 3600? That would be the first thing to see if you acutally need 64 GB versus 32.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

What is the workflow that you need the 64GB of ram with the 3600? That would be the first thing to see if you acutally need 64 GB versus 32.

I do a lot of editing and photoshop and play some very high graphic games and have money to spare from my rtx 3080 and r7 5800x (which is still yet to come) upgrades, just looking to get some upgrades early so I don't have to worry about it later.

yes, i have done exactly this. by buying two TridentZ 32GB ddr4-3600 kits (16gb x2)  instead of opting for a 64gb kit.

i didnt have a problem. although at first bootup it only read 2133mhz speed. i simply applied the xmp profile. and all 4 ramsticks worked with each other at 64gb 3600 speeds.

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

14 hours ago, Duckeee said:

I do a lot of editing and photoshop and play some very high graphic games and have money to spare from my rtx 3080 and r7 5800x (which is still yet to come) upgrades, just looking to get some upgrades early so I don't have to worry about it later.

You really don't need 64gb for that. 

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You really don't need 64gb for that. 

i have the money want to get it so i don't have to worry about it in the future.

10 hours ago, Duckeee said:

i have the money want to get it so i don't have to worry about it in the future.

If you have the money I guess, but know that by the time you need to worry about needing it, Ddr4 will be old and outdated.