Crackling/Static From Whatever is Plugged Into the 3.5mm Jack.

for 3

Problem:

Whatever is plugged into the front 3.5mm Jack just gives off crackling and static sounds. It overrides everything- this means the crackling is constant and isn't responsive to any sound change. The mic sometimes makes the crackling noise that others on discord can hear but 90% of the time it is just mute and non-responsive.

Notes:

Tried restarting by unplugging power cable

Rolled back drivers to when it worked

It is only the 3.5mm jack. By using a USB headset (connected to the front panel USB that is right next to the 3.5mm jack), I am able to hear everything talk clearly.

Updated the drivers

Tried to clean out the jacks with some degree of success. No change in before/after cleaning it though

I have a Razor Black widow keyboard that also has a 3.5mm jack ON THE SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD. When I plug in the KEYBOARD's 3.5mm jack onto my computer and then connect my mic or headphones onto my keyboard, I still get the same result.

The noise that my mic makes when connected can be increased or decreased with volume. The noise that the headphones make when connected to the jack cannot be increased or decreased with volume.

There is no video that can replicate the sound, but if i were to describe it, I would say that there are two elements or layers to it. One is a constant static and high pitched sound. The other element is the varying crackling sounds on top of it.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 with Radeon Graphics

RAM:  If its worth noting, I have 2x8GB from two different ram modules. Both from Crucial though. Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Desktop Memory CT8G4DFRA266.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M ds3h

Video Card: GTX 1060 3gb

Storage: WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 1 TB

If needed I could find out my case and PSU

Have you tried troubleshooting it using other 3.5mm devices? In my experience, it's usually the device that's broken (something with the cable and the jack itself) instead of the port

Just now, Cluff said:

Have you tried troubleshooting it using other 3.5mm devices? In my experience, it's usually the device that's broken (something with the cable and the jack itself) instead of the port

Hey, I can confirm that the device itself is not the problem. I plugged the devices other 3.5mm jacks and it works fine.

1 minute ago, for 3 said:

Hey, I can confirm that the device itself is not the problem. I plugged the devices other 3.5mm jacks and it works fine.

If the device itself is okay, then what I would do is try cleaning the 3.5mm port (and the jack itself while I'm at it) and it the problem still persist I would try some weird things like rotating the jack inside the port or put some pressure on the jack itself (or put the jack sort of "loosely" inside the port) but that's the extend of my experience, sorry if I'm not much of help

Interference and noise from the power input of your computer? I did use my old laptop's charger that got some patches on the middle of the cable (which, made the signal interference and noise insulation won't work anymore) and it made an awful noise from anything that outputs to the 3.5mm.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Is your microphone connected to the front panel also? I have had an issue where a line-in was 'too powerful' for the shielding to properly work. The headphone and line-in cables are run together, so I would hear  static in my headphones. My solution was to plug the line-in directly to the motherboard, and I never heard the static again.

Make sure the mains outlet you plug your computer into has a working ground/earthing - the outlet must have at least 3 pins / contacts and you can test if the grounding works with a basic cheap multimeter. put it on AC voltage range (whatever is higher than your mains, 110v or 230v), put one probe on the ground contacts and then the other probe in the AC pins ... should read voltage between one AC pin and ground, and nothing between the other (neutral) and the ground pin.

Typically the front panel connectors are poor-er insulated, and they can pick up electrical interference from the video card or processor VRM, working like antennas. It's because they use individual wires (ground, left channel , right channel) going in parallel from the front panel header to the front panel connectors, instead of using a coaxial style cable like the one your headphones and any speakers will have (coaxial style = the left and right channel wires are inside a mesh of  wires that are the return/ground and shield the signal wires inside from interference)

Also, sometimes something plugged into the front panel usb connectors can introduce noise into the audio front panel connectors, simply because the usb wires are so close together to the audio connectors, so if a usb device like a mouse or something sucks power in bursts that variation in voltage can be picked up. If you disconnect the usb front panel cable and it no longer makes those noise or noises are reduced, that's your problem problem.

As for the front panel audio cable, try to route it as far away from the motherboard as possible - if it goes through the back of the motherboard or over the board, try to route it away. Sometimes it's too short, or the front panel connector is too far down to the bottom right of the board to have much room to work with. 

Somewhat of a hack, but sometimes it helps to insulate that front panel audio cable by wrapping some aluminum foil around it - for example get some of that kitchen aluminum foil and cut a long ribbon / thin strip of aluminum sheet and then wrap the wires for as much length as possible. One end of that aluminum foil should be grounded (basically connect one end to the metal case with a wire or tape down the end of the aluminum foil to the metal of the case.