Help Choosing AV Reciever and Bookshelf Speakers

C0stanza

Hey everyone, I'm looking to set up what I hope will be the foundation for a surround sound system and I was hoping to get some help choosing the receiver/speakers. I don't want anything too fancy, a decent AV receiver and two bookshelf speakers to handle my audio (Mostly movies, I generally won't use them for music) is all I'm looking for.

Currently I'm just using my TVs built-in speakers and they sound awful. I frequently have a difficult time hearing what characters are saying in movies and I really have to crank the volume to hear in a lot of cases.

I don't know TOO much about home theater equipment but I would like it if I was able to build on what I buy at a later date for a surround sound setup (is ATMOS a door I can keep open within reason?). My budget is in the neighborhood of $400 but if the best value is slightly higher or lower I'd prefer that.

Do you guys have any preferences for people just getting started and interested in value but who also would like the opportunity to grow later? Thank you!

I cant think of a AV receiver under $200 worth anyone's time and then having to find speakers with the left over money is a hard task.

I suggest you search for used deal on local ads ... when you find one try to look for some reviews of the system to see if it was good back in the days.  Audio equipment can age quite well specially if it's high end from the past.  If you want more voice in the things you're viewing maybe you should look for some 5.1 used system, voices often comes from the center channel (I have the same problem with my 2.1 system) ... for 400$ you will probably be able to get something decent if you're lucky and patient.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

@Dr0y Is on the money, can get nice older gear. Got an old Technics amp myself as my first.

Some people are ignorant of the quality of old gear, often throwing it away like a consumable and may not have the brand recognition to know what they have.