Reinstalling Win10 on a new SSD; Can I keep my previous files on my HDD

luis_6143

I am going to put my OS on a new SSD, but I am wondering if I put my OS on the new SSD will the applications and other software on my HDD be affected by moving the OS to another drive??? Will my PC Drivers and Steam Games be affected because Windows is on a different drive? Thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, luis_6143 said:

I am going to put my OS on a new SSD, but I am wondering if I put my OS on the new SSD will the applications and other software on my HDD be affected by moving the OS to another drive??? Will my PC Drivers and Steam Games be affected because Windows is on a different drive? Thanks for the help.

Yes, im preatty sure this will be like a new, fresh windows and everything will be gone

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

Just now, Enzo1001 said:

Yes, im preatty sure this will be like a new, fresh windows and everything will be gone

by that i mean that the files well be still tehre but i dont know I steam and stuff will recognize them

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

6 minutes ago, luis_6143 said:

You might lose your drivers but your steam games should be fine. Steam games are saved to a certain disk, they're just kinda like files. When you download games, you're given the option of which drive to install it on. You can keep HDD files. I've for sure make a back up of important files though just in case. Like game saves and so on.

I personally would delete some of the Windows files and partitions to avoid confusing your system.

Like deleting system32 on your HDD once you have Windows on your SSD.

elephants

Just now, parker13 said:

You might lose your drivers but your steam games should be fine. Steam games are saved to a certain disk, they're just kinda like files. When you download games, you're given the option of which drive to install it on. You can keep HDD files. I've for sure make a back up of important files though just in case. Like game saves and so on.

Also! Depending on your SSD or HDD speed, installing a game might not be that much of a worry. Like I said, save important game saves and then start the process of booting from the SSD.

Thank you everyone for helping me, I think I will just backup my games and important files and just really start fresh again haha. Thanks for your help!!!