R9 290 over 90 degrees Celsius

Frandesktop

Hello,

I just ran a stress-test of a Radeon R9 290 and temps reached more than 90C, then I stopped because I was afraid it would melt.

Also, it is not even in a case right now, it's just laying on the table in the open air, so it should be worse inside a case.

But do stress tests really give good indication for temps in real life usage like gaming/softwares?

Should I keep running the stress test until something happens? Or stop it if temps are so hot?

This card hasn't been in use for a long time, could re-applying thermal paste make things better?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

But do stress tests really give good indication for temps in real life usage like gaming/softwares?

Depends, but most GPU stress test is quite accurate, furmark is the only exception I know, and if your game doesn't fully load the GPU then there's also that

But most of the time, unigine heaven matches with most of my AAA games

5 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

Should I keep running the stress test until something happens? Or stop it if temps are so hot?

Definitely stop when u know something is not right unless you wanna test whether if it'll shut down when it overheats, but that's a dumb thing to try when you don't have a spare

5 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

This card hasn't been in use for a long time, could re-applying thermal paste make things better?

Re-pasting might help if it's never been done since... 2012? Also clean out the dusts and what not would help a lot too, esp if it's a blower card

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

the software I used was furmark - why is it exception? It stresses the GPU too much? It reached 94C max right now. Guess it's throttling itself to 94C not to burn everything does. It's the reference R9 290 and the fan went full speed like we're taking off with an airplane. 

Update: I used MSI Afterburner to reduce power limit to -20%, so temps did not reach 94C this time, but 75C, however, the fan spins at 4000+ RPM. Is that normal speed? O_O

1 hour ago, Frandesktop said:

Update: I used MSI Afterburner to reduce power limit to -20%, so temps did not reach 94C this time, but 75C, however, the fan spins at 4000+ RPM. Is that normal speed? O_O

no. 

Try repasting the thermal compound. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Haha will do! It's so loud. Will update when I finish. What's the best thermal paste application shape for a GPU ? Never done it with gpu before

Update: I changed the thermal paste and now using Furmark I get peak temp (94C) @ 2600RPM so I guess it made a big difference!

But is 2600 RPM normal now? Or still too high for this card?

I'll have to look when I get a chance, I too have an R9 290. I don't think I ever reached above 90 on any benchmarking @.@ but seems you figured out a solution so I'll look at my RPMs too. Also mine is by XFX.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, FangerZero said:

I'll have to look when I get a chance, I too have an R9 290. I don't think I ever reached above 90 on any benchmarking @.@ but seems you figured out a solution so I'll look at my RPMs too. Also mine is by XFX.

Thank you! Let me know when you do it I'd love to know

9 hours ago, Frandesktop said:

Thank you! Let me know when you do it I'd love to know

A little embarrassing been so busy with my new build and holiday stuff I forgot to look, I'm going to set a reminder.

Not uncommon for these cards to run extremely hot.  Had a 390 that ran over 85*C on an open bench.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

I'm running 3DMark stress test on this machine now, so far it won't break 76 degrees according to HWMonitor... I question if that's legit. But my RPMs are in the 2700s and it should be on Default settings. 

EDIT: Looks like it may have crashed on me after about 10 minutes.

EDIT AGAIN: Got a stress test to run without crashing and maxed at 77 degrees while the RPMs were in the 2700s like earlier. It's also around 68 in my home, not sure what your house temp is. My CPU also didn't get hotter than 55 during this test. So Maybe I just have a cooler machine? the it is an older Coolermaster case with lots of perforation. I only have two case fans, and my CPU is also using a Fan, no Water Cooling here lol. 

2 hours ago, FangerZero said:

I'm running 3DMark stress test on this machine now, so far it won't break 76 degrees according to HWMonitor... I question if that's legit. But my RPMs are in the 2700s and it should be on Default settings. 

EDIT: Looks like it may have crashed on me after about 10 minutes.

EDIT AGAIN: Got a stress test to run without crashing and maxed at 77 degrees while the RPMs were in the 2700s like earlier. It's also around 68 in my home, not sure what your house temp is. My CPU also didn't get hotter than 55 during this test. So Maybe I just have a cooler machine? the it is an older Coolermaster case with lots of perforation. I only have two case fans, and my CPU is also using a Fan, no Water Cooling here lol. 

wow 77 degrees is nice. Mine always throttles to the max defined at 94C however never crashes using Furmark. I guess that the thermal paste and the cooling pads on the VRM / VRAMS are so bad that it gets to 94C before even drawing too much watts and thus not crashing? Will need to test on actual games to see if I get the desired FPS or not

For a reference/blower design R9 290 90+C is completely normal, they ran extremely hot and sounded like a jet engine.

However the temperature doesn't seem to affect the cards longevity as AMD rated it for that temperature and my R9 290 is still working 6 years later. I would recommend you reduce the power target and underclock it for general use, -20% for both keeps it in the mid 80s without shredding your ears.

Our Crysis 3 noise chart is something that words almost don’t do justice for. It’s something that needs to be looked at and allowed to sink in for a moment.

With the 290 AMD has thrown out any kind of reasonable noise parameters, instead choosing to chase performance and price above everything else. As a result at 57.2dB the 290 is the loudest single-GPU card in our current collection of results. It’s louder than 290X (a card that was already at the limit for reasonable), it’s louder than the 7970 Boost (an odd card that operated at too high a voltage and thankfully never saw a retail reference release), and it’s 2.5dB louder than the GTX 480, the benchmark for loud cards. Even GTX 700 series SLI setups aren’t this loud, and that’s a pair of cards.

59505.png

Source

I just tried in MSI Afterburner to reduce power -20% and then the fan went crazy and system crashed O_O

lol I find it weird though since over the summer my entire system would overheat. I had a stock cooler though on my CPU and I broke that after it pissed me off when I reapplied some thermal paste after 10 years lol. Now I have  CPU fan that just spins. As for the GPU I'll checkout Furmark, and give an update. 

EDIT: Just ran furmark for about 17~18 minutes and it reached temps of 82 running at 100% utilization and fans were running at 108%. The gpu utilization wasn't always 100% though it'd bounce between 90 and 100. Maybe it's just your cooler design? Or maybe mine just throttles at a lower temp? 

20 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

For a reference/blower design R9 290 90+C is completely normal, they ran extremely hot and sounded like a jet engine.

However the temperature doesn't seem to affect the cards longevity as AMD rated it for that temperature and my R9 290 is still working 6 years later. I would recommend you reduce the power target and underclock it for general use, -20% for both keeps it in the mid 80s without shredding your ears.

59505.png

Source

Ok so these temps make sense. I just hope that mine reaches 94C while also utilizing the most % because sometimes if the cooling is not good enough then the chip gets hot way before it reaches its peak.. And it's the first time I ever replaced thermal paste on a GPU.. so hopefully I did it right

39 minutes ago, FangerZero said:

lol I find it weird though since over the summer my entire system would overheat. I had a stock cooler though on my CPU and I broke that after it pissed me off when I reapplied some thermal paste after 10 years lol. Now I have  CPU fan that just spins. As for the GPU I'll checkout Furmark, and give an update. 

EDIT: Just ran furmark for about 17~18 minutes and it reached temps of 82 running at 100% utilization and fans were running at 108%. The gpu utilization wasn't always 100% though it'd bounce between 90 and 100. Maybe it's just your cooler design? 

I guess so, look at the comment above, it shows reference R9 290 design is bad and also reaches 94C like mine