Would 1/4 MDF be strong enough for PC Case?

aom

As title says. Really, paranoid that it will completely shatter into pieces.

Thanks in advance.

MDF are pretty strong, i use them in school to do model of stuff. so im guessing you're alright

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

MDF are pretty strong, i use them in school to do model of stuff. so im guessing you're alright

It might be

1/4 of what an inch cm? give me measurements

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Personally MDF isn't that bad but once you damage or break it, it doesn't clean itself and causes imperfections in the shape, and if any large dents create the saw dust which is worse than dust and very annoying. Personally if its for a one off case it's fine but I would suggest thick pieces of any type of thermo (setting) plastic like acrylics.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

1/4 inch, sorry. and what do u mean by an one off case. And for plastics, I dont think i have the tools needed and acrylic is very expensive when not in bulk.

Personally MDF isn't that bad but once you damage or break it, it doesn't clean itself and causes imperfections in the shape, and if any large dents create the saw dust which is worse than dust and very annoying. Personally if its for a one off case it's fine but I would suggest thick pieces of any type of thermo (setting) plastic like acrylics.

MDF can work but depending on how big your building it, and the structure, it may sag. Also keep in mind how you are assembling this case since a butt-joint will not work 1/4 MDF, even with 1/2 MDF you must pre-drill every hole and use the proper screws to prevent splitting.

Butt-Joint:

butt%20joint.jpg

Splitting:

cddvd2.jpg

MDF can work but depending on how big your building it, and the structure, it may sag. Also keep in mind how you are assembling this case since a butt-joint will not work 1/4 MDF, even with 1/2 MDF you must pre-drill every hole and use the proper screws to prevent splitting.

Butt-Joint:

butt%20joint.jpg

Splitting:

cddvd2.jpg

I see, what do you propose instead of a butt joint?

I see, what do you propose instead of a butt joint?

For 1/4 inch material is more difficult to join since the edge is very thin, since your making a case probably best to use the butt-joint with a cleat on the inside to give it more area to glue and screws or reinforce it with a 90 degree aluminium edge either on the inner or outer edge, bolting it in place.

Buttjoint with cleat:

cleat.jpg

If you choose to use a thicker material you can use some mechanical fasteners such as the ones you see in flat pack furniture using cross dowel and bolts.

Bolt and cross dowel:

M0076.jpg

I don't have very much experience with different wood materials but I would just go with oak or something nicer.

Acrylic is probably the easiest option

I don't have very much experience with different wood materials but I would just go with oak or something nicer.

Acrylic is probably the easiest option

normal wood is a pain to get looking nice and the grain shows no matter what. fibrewood has a much more uniform grain and less noticable, ideal when you dont really want those ramdom texture of wood you typically see.

And Acrylic again is expensive unless in bulk.

normal wood is a pain to get looking nice and the grain shows no matter what. fibrewood has a much more uniform grain and less noticable, ideal when you dont really want those ramdom texture of wood you typically see.

And Acrylic again is expensive unless in bulk.

I agree with the wood but I do not with the acrylic. 

At least in my area, I was able to buy a large sheet of acrylic that would be enough to make a small form factor PC for around 30 dollars.  

I don't think you will be able to find cross-dowels for 1/4" MDF, so you are either going to have to go with 1/2" MDF or something else completely.

MDF also swells up really bad when exposed to moisture, so you will need to paint it anyways... at that point just use plywood.

Acrylic is cheap here in Nebraska... It also requires less tools than working with wood. All you would need is something to cut it, a torch and block of wood to bend it, and some glue. With wood you need saws, drills, bits, drivers and hardware, and then have to deal with all the dust.

I agree with the wood but I do not with the acrylic. 

At least in my area, I was able to buy a large sheet of acrylic that would be enough to make a small form factor PC for around 30 dollars.  

for the smallest size of acrylic, it was $90 at home depot. no where else i have found after quite some time.

I don't think you will be able to find cross-dowels for 1/4" MDF, so you are either going to have to go with 1/2" MDF or something else completely.

MDF also swells up really bad when exposed to moisture, so you will need to paint it anyways... at that point just use plywood.

Acrylic is cheap here in Nebraska... It also requires less tools than working with wood. All you would need is something to cut it, a torch and block of wood to bend it, and some glue. With wood you need saws, drills, bits, drivers and hardware, and then have to deal with all the dust.

im probably going to use a cleat.

I'll think about going acrylic but I really need to save up the cash then.

$90 man look around on line, i got a 600x300x3mm sheet here in aus for $7aud and a 600x300x6mm sheet for $11. No way you should be looking at $90 for acrylic unless you are building something 900d size.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)