Best hacks to lowering Memory as much as possible on Windows 10

ComputerTech

So i bought a 4GB RAM HP Laptop, and am in love with it :P

and i am not a gamer, just a normal dude who browses YouTube and Google, but  i see Windows 10 use more RAM Than Windows 8(First time using Windows 10 ), does anyone have any hacks/tips/ideas to lowering Windows 10 memory usage to the lowest? and i wont be adding any physical Memory, or touching virtual memory settings :P

Thanks in advanced :)

3 minutes ago, ComputerTech said:

So i bought a 4GB RAM HP Laptop, and am in love with it :P

and i am not a gamer, just a normal dude who browses YouTube and Google, but i see Windows 10 use more RAM Than Windows 10 (First time using Windows 10 ), does anyone have any hacks/tips/ideas to lowering Windows 10 memory usage to the lowest? and i wont be adding any physical Memory, or touching virtual memory settings :P

Besides reducing background programs I don't believe there is a huge amount. I'd suggest a lightweight antivirus and then having as little things running at start up. Don't disable things that seem important such as audio services. If you need help you can send a picture of the start up using the snipping tool (hit windows key and type snip then hit enter and it should load up).

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2944-add-delete-enable-disable-startup-items-windows-10-a.html

Do a clean install of Windows to eliminate HP's bloat, you should really consider adding a second 4GB stick at some point. 4GB is pretty low for modern computing.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

For youtube and browsing 4GB should be fine. I just switched out the old HDDs to SSDs with my parent's laptops which both have 4GB and they work just fine now. All i did was a fresh windows install and then uninstall a few useless apps that come with windows like solitaire, etc. Also use the new Edge Chromium as your browser, as it's very efficient with RAM useage and overall the best current browser imo. Even better than chrome in many regards, even though they're built on the same base. With OEM's like HP you'll want to double-check for useless bloatware because they love to install a bunch of it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:27 AM, MoonlightSylv said:

Do a clean install of Windows to eliminate HP's bloat, you should really consider adding a second 4GB stick at some point. 4GB is pretty low for modern computing.

You said do a Clean install of Windows, Windows offers two options, to reinstall completely and delete all files and applications or reinstall and keep my files.

To do a clean Install, is the first option necessary? i did option number 2 around a week ago and most bloatware still seems there -_-

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB. Just make sure you have the CD key handy (if not MJB will help you find it)

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734-windows-10-installation-tool.html

Only install what you need to browse the web (dont install java, flash, shockwave, air etc, or any of the Visual Studio runtimes untill you need them)

Run appwiz.cpl and click turn windows features on or off, turn off anything you know you don't use (do you use chrome, well turn off internet explorer 11, dont want to make PDF's on the desktop, turn off "Microsoft print to PDF")

On 12/9/2020 at 4:23 AM, ComputerTech said:

Is the ram soldered?  or is two slots in total?

Don't know about 2 slots, but the sheet you put linked shows that it is definitely removable/expandable.

Cheers Lads, and to be clear, if i want to use wibdows options, i should use reinstall from scratch right, not the keep files one eh?

6 hours ago, ComputerTech said:

i should use reinstall from scratch right, not the keep files one eh?

Yeah, fresh install, even better to delete the partitions to be safe

On 1/13/2021 at 3:05 AM, amckern said:

Yeah, fresh install, even better to delete the partitions to be safe

Alrighty, cheers guys :)

Would this ram be suitable for my laptop?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/computer-memory/corsair-valueselect-ddr3l-laptop-ram-4-gb-10143151-pdt.html

I know SDRAM is a difference, does this ram card SDRAM?