Front USB 3.1 Gen2 type C compatibility issue

I have an issue with the usb c front connector on my case and it does not seem to be compatible with my motherboard. I have the case Phantek Evolve X with 3.1 gen2 type c cable and Asus Z-390F motherboard with 3.1 gen1 connector.

The thing is that the cable and connector seem to be very similar but I'm not finding internal cable for 3.1 gen1 to compare with and the cable from the case seems to fit.

a5e0bdd85b258700b47e7732739f4c83.png

0785deed4790a9a502fb87d43571fd1b.png

28 minutes ago, T3rraformz said:

I have the case Phantek Evolve X with 3.1 gen2 type c cable and Asus Z-390F motherboard with 3.1 gen1 connector.

USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB 3.1 Gen1 are not the same thing. USB 3.1 Gen1 is a renamed USB 3.0, meaning you should be able to plug in the USB 3.0 connector, but not the USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C connector.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB 3.1 Gen1 are not the same thing. USB 3.1 Gen1 is a renamed USB 3.0, meaning you should be able to plug in the USB 3.0 connector, but not the USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C connector.

Do you know any proper adapter for this and by the way where can I find difference on gen1 vs gen2 internal cable?

I found this https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-Internal-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07WG8ZJ41?th=1 but I'm already using the 3.0 internal connector for the other front usb 3.0 ports.

5 hours ago, T3rraformz said:

I have an issue with the usb c front connector on my case and it does not seem to be compatible with my motherboard. I have the case Phantek Evolve X with 3.1 gen2 type c cable and Asus Z-390F motherboard with 3.1 gen1 connector.

The thing is that the cable and connector seem to be very similar but I'm not finding internal cable for 3.1 gen1 to compare with and the cable from the case seems to fit.

What exactly is the issue you are having? Both your mobo and case have type C connectors. You don't need to worry about generations. Just plug it in. But don't force it because it only goes in one way.

15 hours ago, T3rraformz said:

Do you know any proper adapter for this and by the way where can I find difference on gen1 vs gen2 internal cable?

Not sure what you mean exactly?

USB 3.0 (aka USB 3.1 Gen 1) has a maximum speed of 5 Gb/s, the header on the motherboard looks like this:

Spoiler

Motherboard 20 Pin Header Female to Dual USB 3.0 Type A-Female  Adapter-Connector | Walmart Canada

UBS 3.1 (aka USB 3.1 Gen 2) has a maximum speed of 10 Gb/s, the header on the motherboard looks like this:

Spoiler

USB 3.1 front panel connector cable?

If you use an adapter to go from USB 3.0 to 3.1 then you'll still be limited to USB 3.0 speeds (5 Gbps).

15 hours ago, T3rraformz said:

I found this https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-Internal-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07WG8ZJ41?th=1 but I'm already using the 3.0 internal connector for the other front usb 3.0 ports.

What you could do is buy a PCIe card that adds an additional USB 3.1 Gen 2 header: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Interner-20-Pin-Stecker/dp/B07R2MH4KV

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not sure what you mean exactly?

USB 3.0 (aka USB 3.1 Gen 1) has a maximum speed of 5 Gb/s, the header on the motherboard looks like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Motherboard 20 Pin Header Female to Dual USB 3.0 Type A-Female  Adapter-Connector | Walmart Canada

UBS 3.1 (aka USB 3.1 Gen 2) has a maximum speed of 10 Gb/s, the header on the motherboard looks like this:

Reveal hidden contents

USB 3.1 front panel connector cable?

If you use an adapter to go from USB 3.0 to 3.1 then you'll still be limited to USB 3.0 speeds (5 Gbps).

What you could do is buy a PCIe card that adds an additional USB 3.1 Gen 2 header: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Interner-20-Pin-Stecker/dp/B07R2MH4KV

You are needlessly complicating things here. A Type-C port is a Type-C port. Both his mobo and case have one. All you have to do is plug it in. Versions and generations don't matter.

A case can not have "generations" for Type-C. That's just pointless marketing from them. It's just some wire hooked up to a piece of metal. What determines the speed is your mobo and the device you plug into it.

18 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

You are needlessly complicating things here. A Type-C port is a Type-C port. Both his mobo and case have one. All you have to do is plug it in. Versions and generations don't matter.

You are correct. My explanation was based on a misunderstanding about OP's issue. I incorrectly assumed the motherboard didn't have the header(s) for the case's Type-C port to plug into, but that doesn't seem to be the so. As long as his motherboard has the required headers he can power all of front USB ports and they will have whatever USB version to board's headers provide. The version shown on the case doesn't matter.

Looking at the manual (1.1.2 "Motherboard layout"), the 2x Type-A ports of the case plug into the "U31G1_78" header and the 1x Type-C port plugs into the "U31G1_C5" header.

Meaning all of the front USB ports will run with USB 3.0 / USB 3.1 Gen1. The board has no internal USB 3.1 Gen2 header (but several Gen2 ports on its rear I/O)