can i fit 2.5 slot gpu?

rippy4500

i cheaped out on my motherboard when i got it and got a micro atx motherboard so theres cables right under my current 2 slot gpu, idk if a 2.5 slot will fit in my system. If it doesnt fit i might be able to get a vertical mount thing but i need to know if i can fit a 2.5 slot gpu in my system

IMG_0251.thumb.JPG.7fbd1d6db8d581a49d6e0104a18a98d6.JPG

IMG_0250.thumb.JPG.62f5d50e9b59cd801b485e0b51277b2b.JPG

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

7 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

It'll probably only just cover the PCI-e slot there, but do you only have a 1080p 60hz display? and/or what are you trying to upgrade to? With what CPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yes, it should fit.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It'll probably only just cover the PCI-e slot there, but do you only have a 1080p 60hz display? and/or what are you trying to upgrade to? With what CPU?

i probably didnt get a great picture cuz i used my phone ill get a better one and edit it into the post. I have a 1080p 60hz monitor and a 4k 60hz monitor. and i plan on getting a 1080p 240hz monitor after i upgrade my gpu, and i plan on getting a 3070 and the one im looking at is 2.5 slot. And my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600 overclocked to 3.7ghz

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

2.5 slots isn't exactly a very precise measurement.

If you want to make sure, you take the depth of the new video card and measure it against the depth of your old card.

if you need those sata cables on the right side under your gpu, no, it won't work, like at all. maybe vertical mount, but you'd probably need to test this. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

2.5 slots isn't exactly a very precise measurement.

If you want to make sure, you take the depth of the new video card and measure it against the depth of your old card.

EVGA 3070 FTW3 ULTRA 

Height: 5.38 in - 136.75mm

Length: 11.81 in - 300mm

Width: 2.75 Slots

would you kindly point out to me which of the above figures is "depth"? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

if you need those sata cables on the right side under your gpu, no, it won't work, like at all. maybe vertical mount, but you'd probably need to test this. 

i edited a pic with a better angle into the post. and i might be able to get rid of one of the sata cables, its connected to an old hdd that i dont use, i have an nvme drive and my other drive is a 2tb sshd that needs sata so i can only get rid of one.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

would you kindly point out to me which of the above figures is "depth"? 

In this case the width, but 2.75 slots is just as dumb of a measurement.

For some reason EVGA decided that real measurements are simply too accurate.

Edit: After looking at the picture, I don't think it will fit.

image.png.542ef1a3c15e3e411144349383f8f818.png

2412839-n1.jpg

2 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

i edited a pic with a better angle into the post. and i might be able to get rid of one of the sata cables, its connected to an old hdd that i dont use, i have an nvme drive and my secondary drive is a 2tb sshd that needs sata so i can only get rid of one.

I see yeah the angle of the first pic didn't help... it might work if you remove the top sata cable, but it's going to cut it real close with the fans I think. you just have to try it I guess. 

and to be clear this is a two slot card currently, right? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I see yeah the angle of the first pic didn't help... it might work if you remove the top sata cable, but it's going to cut it real close with the fans I think. you just have to try it I guess. 

and to be clear this is a two slot card currently, right? 

yes it is a 2 slot gpu. I will have to look for more precise measurements on the 3070. But i will also look at getting a vertical mount if it still wont fit

12 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

yes it is a 2 slot gpu. I will have to look for more precise measurements on the 3070. But i will also look at getting a vertical mount if it still wont fit

the thing is, it's 2.5 slots but you really have to consider the fan also with how they're usually designed nowadays... 

for example this is my matx board / case... look how much more space there is... the cables are much further away too, I'm even hoping to keep that fan or maybe a low profile one when I get my 3070 FTW3...

20201206_002718.thumb.jpg.067c4af2ecd17d397d798ddd0f11cdf5.jpg

20201206_002438.thumb.jpg.5fefba12fef7d5e21f8699666f6bc3e6.jpg

so yeah, vertical mount / or different mobo (?) might be your only chance(s)

19 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Edit: After looking at the picture, I don't think it will fit.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about lol 😂 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

In this case the width, but 2.75 slots is just as dumb of a measurement.

For some reason EVGA decided that real measurements are simply too accurate.

yes, it's stupid, but I did look for like 2 hours they all do this, I didn't find a single gpu measurement that said "depth". 

Maybe if we could figure out how many cm "1 slot" is supposed to be... (and then we'd still need exact cooling solution measurements too, aka fans) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes, it's stupid, but I did look for like 2 hours they all do this, I didn't find a single gpu measurement that said "depth". 

Maybe if we could figure out how many cm "1 slot" is supposed to be... (and then we'd still need exact cooling solution measurements too, aka fans) 

One slots has a width of 18.5mm.

So technically 3/4 of a slot should be ~12.75mm. So if you have space for another 13mm, then you should be fine.

14 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

One slots has a width of 18.5mm.

So technically 3/4 of a slot should be ~12.75mm. So if you have space for another 13mm, then you should be fine.

Interesting. I was thinking something similar you just have to check available space with the actual slots... I have 1 full slot free + a little something, more if I remove the fan... 

The OP doesn't even have 1 full slot if you look at that big cable in the middle there, so yeah, even if it fits the fans might touch the cables or something... 

Depends on *which* card they're actually getting.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity