Lenovo ThinkPad L520 keyboard problem

I have an issue with my friends laptop keyboard. He hasn't used the laptop in a while and it's been stored in a closet in a laptop bag, but when he first powered it on, they keyboard isn't functioning properly. We already tried another keyboard, same issue.

Fx. When he presses "Caps Lock", the letter "S" is also pressed, when he pressed the letter "J", "Y" is also pressed and vice versa. When he presses "Backspace", the "\" key is also pressed. Etc.

I have no idea what could be causing this, it's not a software issue, but not sure where in the hardware part to look at. Is there a specific controller handling which button is pressed and what it translates to? I already tried cleaning the contacts on the connector on the motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

Search for keyboard under diagnostics. Maybe that will help. I'm not sure. Closest I can find on their support page. You can also try the manual.

0a60342_05.pdf 14.23 MB · 0 downloads

Tried that and the advanced test showed that the KB is fine, the other 2 tests where you press keys i clicked "no" when it asked if everything was ok, but since the program itself doesn't see the issue, it sadly doesn't help, thank you tho!

I did post a thread on the official Lenovo forum, maybe i'll get an answer there.

7 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

Tried that and the advanced test showed that the KB is fine, the other 2 tests where you press keys i clicked "no" when it asked if everything was ok, but since the program itself doesn't see the issue, it sadly doesn't help, thank you tho!

I did post a thread on the official Lenovo forum, maybe i'll get an answer there.

If you're on Reddit, you can also try r/ThinkPad.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:30 AM, panzersharkcat said:

If you're on Reddit, you can also try r/ThinkPad.

I tried the Lenovo support forum, i tried this thinkpad subreddit, i tried techsupport subreddit, i tried here. You're the only one who answered at all 😅 not even an employee of Lenovo commented on the forum post. I'll try to send a direct email to them and see, that's kinda the only thing i can think of still.