I need a budget phone (~ $180) recommendation with a good camera

Ein0r

Christmas time, and I as the "Family IT Guy" got tasked with looking for a budget phone for my mom. But I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to phones.

My requirements:

• Budget  - Around 150€, not more than 200€ ( $180 - $240)
  • Android (preferably one that can get Android 11)
  • Good Camera
  • No chinese manufacturer

I basically need a good camera that can be used as a phone and has the capability to "do internet and maybe watch youtube videos and play sudoku." It gets used to make quick calls if necessary and make good photos and videos when they have dance lessons or go to family gatherings/events.

If it weren't for the last requirement I would pick the Redmi note 9, but because of that, I just don't know. The only other options I found were the Samsung Galaxy A21s and the Nokia 5.3.

Are those decent choices for my criterias or are there other phones out there that I should check out?

Probably a used pixel 3a, thats the best I think you could get

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I would also consider looking at the Moto G line of phones, they're dirt cheap (at least here in the US, they're almost all under $199). I have bought several for family members who don't need the features of flagship phones, and frankly they're a great value. I have not had the chance to use any of their latest models, but the cameras on the previous ones I have had were mediocre at best, but to be expected with such an inexpensive phone. My only other complain is general lack of software support, which is pretty lackluster from Motorola, but it hasn't caused any issues for the people I have purchased them for in the past.

1 minute ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I would also consider looking at the Moto G line of phones,

I'll take a look at these, thanks for the rec.

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Probably a used pixel 3a, thats the best I think you could get

It'll be a christmas present from my dad for my mom. I've heard that Pixel phones have a good camera but I am not sure if he wants to gift a used phone. I'll keep that in mind and make the suggestion, thanks!

I am using an HTC U11. I am not sure if you count it towards Chinese because it is a Taiwanese company. It won´t get Android 10 however. It should be around that price now. 

Just now, Teddy07 said:

I am using an HTC U11. I am not sure if you count it towards Chinese because it is a Taiwanese company. It won´t get Android 10 however. It should be around that price now. 

I am not entirely sure if this is a problem. When I talked with my dad he just told me no huawei, because of the news and because chinese phones might not get the latest android updates anymore. So I kept that requirement a bit broader.

7 hours ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I would also consider looking at the Moto G line of phones, they're dirt cheap (at least here in the US, they're almost all under $199). I have bought several for family members who don't need the features of flagship phones, and frankly they're a great value. I have not had the chance to use any of their latest models, but the cameras on the previous ones I have had were mediocre at best, but to be expected with such an inexpensive phone. My only other complain is general lack of software support, which is pretty lackluster from Motorola, but it hasn't caused any issues for the people I have purchased them for in the past.

Motorola is a “Chinese manufacturer”. They’re owned by Lenovo.

7 hours ago, Ein0r said:

No chinese manufacturer

Why?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 hours ago, Ein0r said:

Are those decent choices for my criterias or are there other phones out there that I should check out?

The Moto G series is a solid choice.  Lots of different varieties tailored to just about any need you're looking for.  I might also throw in the Nokia line. From the 5 series down to the 1 series could fit your budget.  

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

Well technically Lenovo is based in Hong Kong so idk how that affects the decision here. I don't believe they would be subject to any of the same issues and restrictions that companies like Oneplus would be.

8 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Why (no chinese manufacturer)

Because that was the criteria I was given, simple as that. Mostly because of China, Huawei and the fear of not getting android updates for, well, political reasons. I didn't know that Motorola was also china based but Motorola has been a somewhat trustworthy brand here for a long time. And yes, I am aware that I was basically tasked to try to square the circle; getting the best bang for buck while excluding the strongest manufacturers when it comes to good performance for a very reasonable price.

8 hours ago, 57chevy said:

The Moto G series is a solid choice.  Lots of different varieties tailored to just about any need you're looking for.  I might also throw in the Nokia line. From the 5 series down to the 1 series could fit your budget.  

I've looked at some reviews for the g8 series and it seems pretty good. I'd probably go with the g8 power over the nokia 5.3, but ultimately that's not my decision to make. Both looked very similar, I personally preferred the motorola's camera from what I could judge by looking at youtube videos.