Old CPU boots fine but when new CPU put in there is no display

daveg64
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

The CPU could be dead. The B250 chipset is compatible by default with every 7th gen Intel CPU so updating the BIOS won't make a difference. Since your system still works with the pentium, you didn't break anything when installing the new CPU.

Or the CPU is rejecting your ram and you need to try with different ram or placing the ram in different slots.

I have a b250m-k motherboard and have upgraded from a pentium g4560 to an i5 7400 however when I installed the i5 the only thing that happens is all the fans run except the GPU which runs for a few seconds and switches off. After this I re-installed the pentium and it booted perfectly to BIOS. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version and attempted to the CMOS but I am unsure if this worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Was that i5 second hand? 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The CPU could be dead. The B250 chipset is compatible by default with every 7th gen Intel CPU so updating the BIOS won't make a difference. Since your system still works with the pentium, you didn't break anything when installing the new CPU.

Or the CPU is rejecting your ram and you need to try with different ram or placing the ram in different slots.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Was that i5 second hand? 

yes but apparently working.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

oke thanks for the help

52 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You guys are such legends! I moved my RAM stick to the other slot and it booted! Thanks a lot