modify an all in one to fit into a custom loop?

i really like how the asus ryujin cooler looks with the oled display and all that, but i'd also like to use a bigger radiator than what is offered. is there a way to modify it to use standard fittings and basically incorporate the pump head (standard asetek unit) into a loop? most cpu blocks look boring to me lol.

and as for radiator choice, i'd like to stick a 420mm rad in the front of my phanteks p500a. there's ~90mm of space for fans and a radiator, but with some simple modding i could increase that to ~115mm. i've got a bunch of noctua ippc a14s, so push-pull is a free option. what would be the best radiator choice for the given space and fans, that isnt completely deafening? would adding the extra fans for push pull be pointless for these noctuas?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

6 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

i really like how the asus ryujin cooler looks with the oled display and all that, but i'd also like to use a bigger radiator than what is offered. is there a way to modify it to use standard fittings and basically incorporate the pump head (standard asetek unit) into a loop? most cpu blocks look boring to me lol.

and as for radiator choice, i'd like to stick a 420mm rad in the front of my phanteks p500a. there's ~90mm of space for fans and a radiator, but with some simple modding i could increase that to ~115mm. i've got a bunch of noctua ippc a14s, so push-pull is a free option. what would be the best radiator choice for the given space and fans, that isnt completely deafening? would adding the extra fans for push pull be pointless for these noctuas?

It's an asetek design, so with the usual shenanigan's of non-standard barbs and voided warranty etc etc, it is possible but not recommended from my side. Push-Pull starts to make sense with thicker radiators (60 mm onwards, imo), though the iPPCs are intrinsically on the louder side.

You could just buy a 420mm AIO, like the Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 or Alphacool Eisbaer.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

11 hours ago, For Science! said:

It's an asetek design, so with the usual shenanigan's of non-standard barbs and voided warranty etc etc, it is possible but not recommended from my side. Push-Pull starts to make sense with thicker radiators (60 mm onwards, imo), though the iPPCs are intrinsically on the louder side.

i'd be buying used anyways, dont really care about the warranty. hell i'd consider just disabling/removing the pump from the head to reduce complexity. so i see a few options for radiator configs:

- 40mm thick with high fin density, like the ekwb CE, using push+pull

- 60mm thick with medium or low fin density, and modifying the case to make room for push+pull

- some other radiator option; maybe just a standard 30mm with just push? dunno how much of a performance difference there would be between different thicknesses and FPIs for the same area

10 hours ago, HM-2 said:

You could just buy a 420mm AIO, like the Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 or Alphacool Eisbaer.

if they didnt look silly i would! the alphacool in particular is just monstrous lol, and the arctic can only be mounted one way for most boards afaik

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

10 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

- some other radiator option; maybe just a standard 30mm with just push? dunno how much of a performance difference there would be between different thicknesses and FPIs for the same area

This would depend how fast you want to run the fans really. If you want to use iPPC's, be prepared for some noise and you really want to go with high fin density to take advantage of them. But depending on what you're cooling, a thinner low FPI radiator and some ultra quiet sub-1000RPM fan will probably provide all the performance you need. With a 420 unless you're doing a full CPU+GPU loop then there's little to no need for high RPM fans as you'll get basically the same performance from something slim and silent. 

A thick high-FPI radiator may well be significantly outperformed by a thin lower FPI one at low fan speed.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

4 hours ago, HM-2 said:

This would depend how fast you want to run the fans really. If you want to use iPPC's, be prepared for some noise and you really want to go with high fin density to take advantage of them. But depending on what you're cooling, a thinner low FPI radiator and some ultra quiet sub-1000RPM fan will probably provide all the performance you need. With a 420 unless you're doing a full CPU+GPU loop then there's little to no need for high RPM fans as you'll get basically the same performance from something slim and silent. 

A thick high-FPI radiator may well be significantly outperformed by a thin lower FPI one at low fan speed.

hmmm, interesting. i think i'll end up around 1000-1500 rpm most of the time, i have yet to test how loud they are at higher speeds. For now i plan on the loop being for my cpu only but in the future i'll add a gpu block and a 280mm. someone near me has an EK 420 coolstream radiator and an EK Quantum kinetic 300 pump/res combo for $50 and $120 respectively, are those good parts and good prices?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler