"Watch Dogs" Isn't About Scale, It's About Character's "Destiny"

Snickerzz

In an interview with The Examiner recently Watch Dogs creative director Jonathan Morin explained why protagonist Aiden Pearce wont' be flying any planes in the open world game.”It's something we hear about a lot and it surprised me a bit.”

"There's a lot of questions about the stuff that other games have, and [whether or not] we have them," Morin continued. "Some of them yes and some of them no. One thing we did want to push is stuff that other current games don't have."

The problem with aircraft is that the developer would have to dramatically increase the size of the world. “We wanted to have elements that pushed the fantasy of Watch Dogs a lot,” he said. “So by pushing density and all of that, we didn't push for crazy...If you have planes or choppers, you need that kind of scale.”

So Watch Dogs will be a very dense world with lots to do but probably not on the “massive scale” of some other open-world games. “We wanted to dig into a different area, put the money, put the resources, the five and a half years of research on something else that players might not have touched already in a game.”

I love this kind of stuff, where you practically become the character and sense the world around you :3

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2014/03/watch-dogs-isnt-about-scale-about-character-destiny

#May27Dday

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

May 17 or May 27?

Pretty sure it was May 27 :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

May 17 or May 27?

Pretty sure it was May 27 :D

ugh ive done that like 3 times now

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

But from the newest trailer the story to me seems mediocre at best. But then again nnot every open world games has to be like GTA with a big world and chaotic gameplay.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

But from the newest trailer the story to me seems mediocre at best. But then again nnot every open world games has to be like GTA with a big world and chaotic gameplay.

if you were making the game, what would you make the story be? I wouldnt be able to come up with shit xD

if you were making the game, what would you make the story be? I wouldnt be able to come up with shit xD

I would but not in this instant. But if I would have time to think it through I would come up with something. 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

A cohesive experience is more important than having a massive world to make up the numbers. "open world" is also a catch phrase that carries a bit too much weight these days.

I don't think choppers would be such a bad idea. That's just my opinion though because a fast car can actually outrun a heli.

I don't think choppers would be such a bad idea. That's just my opinion though because a fast car can actually outrun a heli.

haha yeah, most helicopters travel at 200+mph

Good luck driving that fast over a far distance...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Ya but a chopper flying high can see the edge of the map... or artificial walls, which breaks immersion.

Ignore this, left my phone in my pocket.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yep pretty much this: new trailer shows crappy graphics? "Our game is about the experience" Even though they were the ones who released the E3 demo and set up that expectation of graphical detail. Game will probably look tiny? "Our game is about density"

How about you guys stop taking pages from the Peter Molyneux book and stop promising shit without being sure you can deliver? Because otherwise it just looks like pathetic backpedaling to me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If it isnt about scale then allow me:

flaps%20folded.gif<-- this is the Watch Dog's world, its a small concrete box, the characters destiny is to live there forever, the end, 10/10. wow.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Yep pretty much this: new trailer shows crappy graphics? "Our game is about the experience" Even though they were the ones who released the E3 demo and set up that expectation of graphical detail. Game will probably look tiny? "Our game is about density"

How about you guys stop taking pages from the Peter Molyneux book and stop promising shit without being sure you can deliver? Because otherwise it just looks like pathetic backpedaling to me.

yea all a bunch of stupid pathetic excuses. just like in Ryse Son Of Rome when they asked why it isnt 1080p they said its not 1080p because 1600x900(or whatever res Ryse runs at) fit the game better. DAFUQ???

Specs of my PC:

my response to watch dogs is:

MEH.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I dunno, when it comes to open-world games I feel like flying takes away from the immersion and world itself when you're flying high away from the details and "life" of the game. It's a real jarring disconnect in a way... but that's just me. 

I dunno, when it comes to open-world games I feel like flying takes away from the immersion and world itself when you're flying high away from the details and "life" of the game. It's a real jarring disconnect in a way... but that's just me. 

That 'you' is just beautiful.

tumblr_mkvnfgvf081rt89d7o1_500.gif

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Perhaps it was "density" instead of "destiny"

sysloc