EVGA 850w GA and 3080, no shutdown for now, should I still be worried?

Emilerk
1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

There is another way; look up a review. 

More like the way, unless by reviews you mean what's written on Amazon and such, lol

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

More like the way, unless by reviews you mean what's written on Amazon and such, lol

Yeah just check how many stars it's got

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

you have clearly not done any research at all.

Well that's a little much. Last time I had to buy a psu I did my research and bought the EVGA 650w G2. it had good reviews and was 80+ gold. Now fast forward to the 3080 launch, I learn that my psu won't be enough, i check on the web, there was only a 20$ difference between the GA and the G5 model of 80+ gold and no review at the time on the GA since it was new.... I took a chance thinking it would be fine since it's more recent than the other G5 and just a little cheaper too. If at the time I saw anything on the GA I wouldn'T had bought it for sure and would had took the g5 or something else but yeah... 

1 hour ago, Emilerk said:

I feel you're intentionnaly missing the point here. 

Pretty sure I'm not the one here missing the point.

1 hour ago, Emilerk said:

Well it  clearly should, you can't put gold and platinum rating for efficiency and not expect people to assume it means it's quality (better efficiency = better quality), I get it it's not like that.... So well, there's absolutly no way to know if a PSU is good enough beside looking in forums for people that tested it? that's rediculous.

"assume".  Good word to use here.  Beause NOWHERE is it ever implied by ANYONE (that knows what they are talking about) that an efficiency rating is some sort of gauge of quality.  80 PLUS doesn't imply it on their site.  Nor does any reviewer than does anything more than an unboxing.  There's no reason to "assume" that one PSU of better EFFICIENCY is better than one of lesser EFFICIENCY because "Bronze", "Gold", etc. are merely EFFICIENCY levels.  Efficiency simply means how much DC output is converted from AC input.  The ratio of AC to DC.  The less AC used to create DC power, the higher the efficiency.  That's it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-80-plus-levels-mean,36721.html

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Which does make me think, if you added that capacitance on there yourself, you could get away with a much cheaper power supply.

I agree.  And it's something I want to try.  Maybe we can bring back the "power cache" (see Antec True Power Quattro from 2010).

Problem is, I don't have a card to test with.  When it get into the lab on Monday, I'll make a 24-pin extension with a couple added caps and send them to Nvidia.  

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Nvidia expects a 750W PSU to be able to do 975W for 20ms and not shut down.  And that's just not a realistic expectation for every unit on the market.  If they know the graphics card can peak at 975W, then they should be suggesting 1000W PSUs.

Yeah, who knows why they recommended that and then the AIBs did the same thing for the most except for a few cards 850W is recommended. 

Recommending a 1,000W PSU around here is likely to give some people a heart attack, I can just see those posts now..... 🤣

I always thought 750W was on the low side once I got my 3080 and really started working with it, even 850W was going over the percentages that I like to work with.

1,000W PSUs really aren't out of bounds at all with these cards from what I have personally seen.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Pretty sure I'm not the one here missing the point.

"assume".  Good word to use here.  Beause NOWHERE is it ever implied by ANYONE (that knows what they are talking about) that an efficiency rating is some sort of gauge of quality.  80 PLUS doesn't imply it on their site.  Nor does any reviewer than does anything more than an unboxing.  There's no reason to "assume" that one PSU of better EFFICIENCY is better than one of lesser EFFICIENCY because "Bronze", "Gold", etc. are merely EFFICIENCY levels.  Efficiency simply means how much DC output is converted from AC input.  The ratio of AC to DC.  The less AC used to create DC power, the higher the efficiency.  That's it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-80-plus-levels-mean,36721.html

I agree.  And it's something I want to try.  Maybe we can bring back the "power cache" (see Antec True Power Quattro from 2010).

Problem is, I don't have a card to test with.  When it get into the lab on Monday, I'll make a 24-pin extension with a couple added caps and send them to Nvidia.  

You says there's no reason to assume that, but your talking from the perspective of someone who is interested and knowledgeable about this stuff and talk about it on forum and more, of course you know the efficiency rating is not a gauge of quality and you know all the variables that makes a good psu good. But try to understand coming from someone that just want to buy a good psu to build a PC and doesn't care about how it works, that just watch YouTube's videos, a few reviews, and that every time they look at a good psu online they all have gold or platinum efficiency rating + a price in a certain range. Can you try now to understand how easy it is for someone that isn't pationate about psu to look at that 80 platinum or gold and look at the price and compagny, and make the connection that it's good quality. I understand the 80+ people don't say its about quality themselves but come on, by the look and placement of the logo, they knew it could easily be seen as a seal of quality and not just efficiency and nothing else. Should I had choose another psu when I didn't saw reviews online on the GA ? Absolutely, I took a guess and it came biting me in the ass, I thought with the price, brand, and 80+ metric I had enough to know that that psu was good but now I know how wrong I was lol.

18 hours ago, Ankerson said:

NOPE, that's not how it works with these cards....

THEY are different than anything we have seen before.

YOU can forget anything you heard before.

i ran a 3080 with a 3600 on a cx650 for a little more than a month with no problems. it didnt make me comfortable as the gpu was hitting 380w+ and i upgraded to a 850w leadex III but its doable