Help! 5900X idling around 70 DEGREES! Dud chip?

MiggyA87

Hi all,

Just made this account to post this question because I'm at my wits end and I can't figure out what to do next.

PC specs below:

CPU - Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler - Noctua NH-D15

MB - ASUS ROG Strix x570-e (latest BIOS)

RAM - 32 GB G.Skill Trident Royal Z - 3600MHz

GPU - ASUS RTX 2070 Dual OC EVO Mini 8GB

PSU - Corsair 1200W HX1200

So at stock settings from the BIOS apart from DOCP for the XMP RAM profile, booting into Windows and running Ryzen Master, the core voltages are sitting around 1.4V and basically thermal throttling the CPU at idle. Idle temps per core are about 70 degrees with the package at 80. Running Cinebench yields boost clocks only around 4.6GHz. At this point I've left all the settings on stock and re-mounted the CPU and cooler, and re-applied thermal paste numerous times, with no success. 

The only way to bring the CPU temps into manageable territory is to underclock the CPU to 4.5GHz and lower core voltages to 1.2V. At these voltages I'm still seeing temps of around 70 degrees. Looking at other posts on reddit and these forums, this doesn't seem like normal behavior.  

I could RMA it with a warranty but at this point I almost want to take it back to the store for a refund. 

Is anyone else experiencing really high temps like this? I feel like I've not only lost the silicon lottery, but been provided with a chip that should have been binned for something else. 

1.4V is really high for a 5900X, there has to be a reason why it's going that high.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS and see if that lowers voltage?

You should also look at your fan curve. Perhaps your fans are not running very fast, or at all.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

something wrong with the cooling? maybe the pump is running at low speed.

it shouldn't run stocks at 1.4. it could be the motherboards fault.

defective cpu is very rare.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Did you apply enough thermal paste when installing the cpu cooler?Maybe I should learn to read

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

1.4V is really high for a 5900X, there has to be a reason why it's going that high.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS and see if that lowers voltage?

You should also look at your fan curve. Perhaps your fans are not running very fast, or at all.

Yep tried a CMOS clear and setting the fans on 100%. Seems to just be demanding +1.4v to go anywhere near 4.7GHz. I've tried manual overclocks and single thread tests and its unstable at 4.7GHz with 1.4GHz. 

I can get the temps lower by undevolting but I thought that the NH-D15 at 100% should be able to stop it from thermal throttling when I have no overclock on. I didn't think I should be anywhere near 70 degrees at 1.2v.

7 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

something wrong with the cooling? maybe the pump is running at low speed.

it shouldn't run stocks at 1.4. it could be the motherboards fault.

defective cpu is very rare.

I'm not sure what else to change on the mobo. I figured the same too but I've cleared the BIOS and reset all factory settings. Unless there's some setting that gives it a factory overclock on the ROG Strix

6 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Did you apply enough thermal paste when installing the cpu cooler?Maybe I should learn to read

Haha I thought the same. Had the paste that comes with the NH-D15. I've got some kryonaut coming soon so I'll reapply that and see if there's any difference. I figured paste at best would get me 10 degrees but even then I'd still be sitting mid 60s at idle

When do you have a Vcore of 1.4? Always or only under load. The ryzen can go up to 1.5V by default. but should fall down in Idle.

In this Streamers Video, you can see a Spec sheet from AMD concerning VCORE (the guys knows what he is talking about)

And here the Screenshot oft that AMD slide:

grafik.thumb.png.b3dab65736e0434fef30f7354b43095e.png

10 hours ago, MiggyA87 said:

Hi all,

Just made this account to post this question because I'm at my wits end and I can't figure out what to do next.

PC specs below:

CPU - Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler - Noctua NH-D15

MB - ASUS ROG Strix x570-e (latest BIOS)

RAM - 32 GB G.Skill Trident Royal Z - 3600MHz

GPU - ASUS RTX 2070 Dual OC EVO Mini 8GB

PSU - Corsair 1200W HX1200

So at stock settings from the BIOS apart from DOCP for the XMP RAM profile, booting into Windows and running Ryzen Master, the core voltages are sitting around 1.4V and basically thermal throttling the CPU at idle. Idle temps per core are about 70 degrees with the package at 80. Running Cinebench yields boost clocks only around 4.6GHz. At this point I've left all the settings on stock and re-mounted the CPU and cooler, and re-applied thermal paste numerous times, with no success. 

The only way to bring the CPU temps into manageable territory is to underclock the CPU to 4.5GHz and lower core voltages to 1.2V. At these voltages I'm still seeing temps of around 70 degrees. Looking at other posts on reddit and these forums, this doesn't seem like normal behavior.  

I could RMA it with a warranty but at this point I almost want to take it back to the store for a refund. 

Is anyone else experiencing really high temps like this? I feel like I've not only lost the silicon lottery, but been provided with a chip that should have been binned for something else. 

Are you sure you didn't apply anything via Ryzen Master? Does the Vcore and clock speed drop in idle? (see my post above)

If your VCORE stays on 1.4V in idle , it would be no wonder if the CPU stays warm

11 hours ago, MiggyA87 said:

Sorry for posting in a lot of single Post. Not Sure whats going on, but i have a working theory:

I guess you maybe applied some fixed Voltage or so via Ryzen Master, thats why you have 1.4 Vcore in Idle (if i got that correct)--> You are permanently warm and can not boost in single core above the 4.6 GHZ. to go beyond that it needs more VCore. I was also surprised, when i switched from an old i7 3770k to a new Ryzen. Don't worry they need a lot of Vcore. As far as i got it so far it's fine.

For Mulitcore the 4.6 (if it is for Mulitcore) is more than good and not sustainable over long times.

Make sure you don't have messed with any setting through any programms and see how the CPU behaves. It should do the following:

In Idle: low Vcore, low frequencies, low temp

Single Core Boost. It will go to 4.7-5.0 Ghz with a Vcore of 1.45 or a bit higher. The temps can spike on one core. During the boost it will switch through cores that are used for the single core boost
Mulit Core Boost: You will see a boost and then it will go down over time (below 4.5 That is normal!). The temperatures are maybe a bit lower than on single core boost, but all cores will be high instead of one core. There is a nice Graph in a GN video:

I would suggest closing all programms which can mess with you clocks vcores etc. and let it really run in standard Bios setting and use a programm which doesn't mess with setting to monitore the values (like HWinfo). You may also wanna check your windows energie settings. did you may tell him to never lower frequency and it is boosting all the time? I thing if you switch from balanced to max performance (not sure how it is callen in english) it will always boost

If it does than behave normal, you know that you did something wrong with software.

If it is still not lowering the Vcore, when no additional software is running something is very wrong in your bios or maybe with the CPU (really don'T think so)

6 hours ago, toni2 said:

Sorry for posting in a lot of single Post. Not Sure whats going on, but i have a working theory:

I guess you maybe applied some fixed Voltage or so via Ryzen Master, thats why you have 1.4 Vcore in Idle (if i got that correct)--> You are permanently warm and can not boost in single core above the 4.6 GHZ. to go beyond that it needs more VCore. I was also surprised, when i switched from an old i7 3770k to a new Ryzen. Don't worry they need a lot of Vcore. As far as i got it so far it's fine.

For Mulitcore the 4.6 (if it is for Mulitcore) is more than good and not sustainable over long times.

Make sure you don't have messed with any setting through any programms and see how the CPU behaves. It should do the following:

Single Core Boost. It will go to 4.7-5.0 Ghz with a Vcore of 1.45 or a bit higher. The temps can spike on one core. During the boost it will switch through cores that are used for the single core boost
Mulit Core Boost: You will see a boost and then it will go down over time (below 4.5 That is normal!). The temperatures are maybe a bit lower than on single core boost, but all cores will be high instead of one core. There is a nice Graph in a GN video:

I would suggest closing all programms which can mess with you clocks vcores etc. and let it really run in standard Bios setting and use a programm which doesn't mess with setting to monitore the values (like HWinfo). You may also wanna check your windows energie settings. did you may tell him to never lower frequency and it is boosting all the time? I thing if you switch from balanced to max performance (not sure how it is callen in english) it will always boost

If it does than behave normal, you know that you did something wrong with software.

If it is still not lowering the Vcore, when no additional software is running something is very wrong in your bios or maybe with the CPU (really don'T think so)

I suspected something similar but I don't have much experience with Ryzen. Just swapped over from intel. I'll try uninstalling AI suite and Ryzen Master and then clearing the BIOS to see. Checking OCCT it seems to be applying 1.4v to all cores currently. Windows power profile is on balanced and cores are allowed to sleep (checked in Ryzen Master) but the core voltages are consistently 1.4v no matter if they're asleep or running. I just assumed this was how Ryzen reacted.

Will report back after

7 hours ago, toni2 said:

All software uninstalled and BIOS reset again. Still fixed voltages across all cores. 

image.thumb.png.48e98c044fd8de245e93d77aca603b57.png

12 minutes ago, MiggyA87 said:

All software uninstalled and BIOS reset again. Still fixed voltages across all cores. 

image.thumb.png.48e98c044fd8de245e93d77aca603b57.png

Wierd shit ... Thats definitly the problem, but i have no Clue what is setting those way high minimum values.

To maybe narrow it down even more, I would go into the bios. Make sure optimal setting are loaded --> switch to advanced mode --> afterward check if CPU Core Voltage is on Auto. Maybe your Mainboard loads some wired shit after reset. You should also see the VCore used at that moment in Bios. If it is also that high in the bios monitor it shouldn'T be Windows (But I'm not sure how high the CPU will boost while you are in the bios). If it's lower there, you still have some stange stuff in Windows

11 minutes ago, toni2 said:

Wierd shit ... Thats definitly the problem, but i have no Clue what is setting those way high minimum values.

To maybe narrow it down even more, I would go into the bios. Make sure optimal setting are loaded --> switch to advanced mode --> afterward check if CPU Core Voltage is on Auto. Maybe your Mainboard loads some wired shit after reset. You should also see the VCore used at that moment in Bios. If it is also that high in the bios monitor it shouldn'T be Windows (But I'm not sure how high the CPU will boost while you are in the bios). If it's lower there, you still have some stange stuff in Windows

Thanks mate.

Tried exactly that and it's showing 1.418v in the BIOS. Voltage settings are only "AUTO/MANUAL/OFFSET". I don't want to set manual because typically in the past that means manually setting across all cores. So it's been left to AUTO but with AUTO it's just setting all cores so high. There might be a setting that keeps all the cores awake somewhere but I can't figure it out. 

I'll keep digging.  

10 minutes ago, MiggyA87 said:

Thanks mate.

Tried exactly that and it's showing 1.418v in the BIOS. Voltage settings are only "AUTO/MANUAL/OFFSET". I don't want to set manual because typically in the past that means manually setting across all cores. So it's been left to AUTO but with AUTO it's just setting all cores so high. There might be a setting that keeps all the cores awake somewhere but I can't figure it out. 

I'll keep digging.  

No clue either. I'm not a 100% sure that the CPU will lower it's speed an Vcore while you're in bios. So don't quote me on that.

Far fatched Idea, some other powersaving stuff from AMD (Cool'n'Quiet)?

My system isn't running right now, so I can not dig arround in Bios to help seraching, and don't have enough experience on the current AMD to help you more, sorry.

When i googled for Ryzen Stuck on high voltage i found this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/3900x-wont-idle-its-clocks-stuck-on-4ghz.18884737/

Other ppl seem to have similar problems (on last gen Ryzen), but I didn't see a solution