Computer crashing but lights and fans still on

4bagels

Alright, I have tried everything and searched every inch of the web but cannot figure this one out. I built my pc probably 2 years ago now. It has a ryzen 5 1600x, 16 gb gskill 3200 ram, aus b-350f, 1660ti, 650 watt corsair psu. About a year in my pc began to randomly "crash" but not in the blue screen kinda way, it would pop as if I flipped the switch and the screen would go black and the keyboard would go out as well yet all the fans and rgb would stay on. The power button on the case would do nothing so I would have to flip the switch and reboot. This seemed to start whenever I would adjust the rgb on the ram and mobo with Asus aroura. After setting it to change colors by temperature I would get about 5 mins of run time before the crash. I decided to just leave the ram at its default rainbow rgb and the crashes seemed to stop. I borrowed a friends kill-a-watt meter and the pc is not pulling more than 280watts at most. I got fed up with that and try switching power supplies. After that the pc would no longer boot and said it couldn't find an operating system. So I slapped a new ssd in it and reinstalled windows. Everything seemed fine on the new install for a couple days and then I decided to try adjusting the rgb on the ram again.... pc ran fine for a few hours. I locked the pc and came back a few hours later and the case fans were rainbow not the temp like they should be so I knew something was up. Computer was unresponsive just like it had been previously with crashes however i wasn't there to see the crash. Now I'm just stumped. I dug through event viewer and reliability monitor and don't see any errors there. I really dont want to buy a new mother board or cpu if I don't absolutely have to. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Oh im now running windows off a 1tb Samsung 970 evo name drive.

13 minutes ago, 4bagels said:

Asus aroura

I have read posts about problems with RGB software, try uninstalling it entirely, and see what gives.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

55 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have read posts about problems with RGB software, try uninstalling it entirely, and see what gives.

That was my next plan. Lame not being able to use it as intended though :/ I'll give it a shot thanks!

On 11/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Seems to be pretty stable after uninstalling that. Im curious as to what is making it crash in that program.. I mean a ton of people use it without issue so what in my system could be causing the crash? 🤔 hopefully upgrading to a 550 or x570 when the zen 3 chips start being more readily available, I guess ill have to see if that fixes it 

11 minutes ago, 4bagels said:

Seems to be pretty stable after uninstalling that. Im curious as to what is making it crash in that program.. I mean a ton of people use it without issue so what in my system could be causing the crash? 🤔 hopefully upgrading to a 550 or x570 when the zen 3 chips start being more readily available, I guess ill have to see if that fixes it 

Unsure, poor programming perhaps, I don't use RGB in my workstation, so no clue really.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.