£3,750 build (Desktop + Ultrawide monitor)

grimreeper132

Hey pretty much I want to build a new PC, as my laptop aint cutting it and my old desktop died (think it was the GPU and possibly Motherboard that died on it (1st gen TR)). Informationis below

Budget (including currency): £3750 (GBP) (I know my wallets gonna regret me saying thisbut I could strech to £4k if the gains are good enough)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MATLAB, CAD (Mainly autodesk, but other ones will be done), Several AAA, lots of indie games, VR

Other details: I have the keyboard and mouse as well as the extra screens, but I want another monitor, I was thinking a an ultrawide of somesort, although I haven't been following the monitor game for a while so can't remember whats good

I had an attempt at building a base PC, 64GB of RAM is sorta a requirement, as I am struggling with 16GB alot, and my old rig had 32GB and I did max that out several times, as for the 3080 and 5950X, I might be being hopeful on finding one but you never know, but I aint paying scalpers, so I will be holding off till they become available (hopefully before christmas, but afters fine to).

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

22 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Hey pretty much I want to build a new PC, as my laptop aint cutting it and my old desktop died (think it was the GPU and possibly Motherboard that died on it (1st gen TR)). Informationis below

Budget (including currency): £3750 (GBP) (I know my wallets gonna regret me saying thisbut I could strech to £4k if the gains are good enough)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MATLAB, CAD (Mainly autodesk, but other ones will be done), Several AAA, lots of indie games, VR

Other details: I have the keyboard and mouse as well as the extra screens, but I want another monitor, I was thinking a an ultrawide of somesort, although I haven't been following the monitor game for a while so can't remember whats good

I had an attempt at building a base PC, 64GB of RAM is sorta a requirement, as I am struggling with 16GB alot, and my old rig had 32GB and I did max that out several times, as for the 3080 and 5950X, I might be being hopeful on finding one but you never know, but I aint paying scalpers, so I will be holding off till they become available (hopefully before christmas, but afters fine to).

You can squeeze a 3090 in there. Other than that it looks good

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

If you don't mind a non RGB cooler the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm or even 420mm would be my suggestion. That case does list support for a 420mm in the front.

You could save some money on the motherboard. An MSI B550 Tomahawk/Gaming Edge etc will handle a 5950X just fine. The X570 Tomahawk is also a lot cheaper.

A 2 x 32GB 3200MHz CL16 or even 3600MHz CL16 kit is cheaper.

A Gen 3 NVMe SSD like the Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB is also a lot less money. Still a really fast drive.

59 minutes ago, Downkey said:

You can squeeze a 3090 in there. Other than that it looks good

The problem is that cost an extra £500 roughly, and digs into the budget for the ultrawide, as I don't know the cost of that yet its hard to pull the trigger on one, but it is in my mind if the ultrawide isn't too expensive, although it does require a "downgrade" from a 2TB SSD to a 1TB SSD

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

If you don't mind a non RGB cooler the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm or even 420mm would be my suggestion. That case does list support for a 420mm in the front.

You could save some money on the motherboard. An MSI B550 Tomahawk/Gaming Edge etc will handle a 5950X just fine. The X570 Tomahawk is also a lot cheaper.

A 2 x 32GB 3200MHz CL16 or even 3600MHz CL16 kit is cheaper.

A Gen 3 NVMe SSD like the Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB is also a lot less money. Still a really fast drive.

I was going with that motherboard, as it has enough USBs, I ran out of USBs on my TR build which I believe had 13, so yea, I use quite a few, which stops B550 I believe as for the other 2, X570 gaming edge, hasn't got as many rear USB 3.2s as that one, same with the X570 Tomahawk. (I get this is a stupid reason but for me it surprisingly matters)

As for the RAM I thought I heard somewhere that 4 sticks was better for Ryzen 5000, but I have just looked into it, I think I heard wrong.

SSD, I will probably still spend the money on the Gen4 SSD, as the speed upgrade will do for the years to come, also with the idea of direct access from the GPU becoming a thing, it is possible Gen 4 SSDs will affect FPS in the near(ish) future.

As for monitor current thoughts are any input here would be grateful
MSI Optix MAG341CQ (3440X1440 100Hz, 21:9) £440 (can afford a 3090)
MSI Optix MPG341CQR (3440X1440 144Hz 21:9) £845 (can afford a 3080)
Samsung LC49RG90SSUXEN (5140 X 1440 120Hz 32:9) £890 (can afford a 3080) (3090 only if I make my bank hate me, which to be fair it will anyways)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more