Looking for recommendations for a new build

denniskrq

Budget (including currency): CAD$3000 (before tax, without monitor)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: high-end gaming focus (able to run everything under the sun at medium/high or even better settings for older titles at 1440p, 60+fps) with a touch of programming and possibly game dev (Unity etc)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• Part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/m2gCwz
  • Monitor preference: single 1440p@120/144Hz with adaptive sync, haven't started looking at these yet
  • Case preference: as I have a Define 7 Compact in my list, case recommendation with similar aesthetic (clean front, preferably without transparent side panel) and front I/O (includes type C port) is welcome
  • Storage: small gen 4 SSD for OS and common software, not locked on the 980 Pro, just threw it in as a placeholder because PCPartPicker can't filter gen 4 drives yet; big (4TB+) 7200RPM HDD for game storage, open to recommendations
  • GPU: not set on 3080. Can go for a 6800XT as well
  • PSU: is 750W enough for a 5600X + 3080/6800XT combo?
  • RAM: not sure about 16 vs 32 GB; also not sure whether 3200/CL16 is fast enough?
  • Upgrading from: Ryzen 5 1600X + GTX1070Ti with a 1080p60Hz monitor. Have all other peripherals so don't need to factor anything else in the budget
  • I know the CPU & GPU are probably gonna be out of stock for a while... I can wait. Current build handles 1080@60 pretty well

Could I suggest a  Meshify c and a rocket 4.0?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Quick (well, depending on what quick means to you) rundown of the part selection:

• CPU: The 5600X seems to tick all the boxes required for your use case - about as good as gaming performance gets, while also being no slouch when it comes to multicore performance. If you feel like you'd need even more multithreaded horsepower however, you could go with a 5800X/5900X, if you so desire.
  • CPU Cooler: I was going to suggest an NH-U12S chromax.black, but it seems to currently be out of stock; same with the NH-D15 chromax.black and NH-U12A. The D15S is honestly, quite overkill for a 5600X, but at least the fan on the heatsink won't really need to do a whole lot of work, so at least there's that. If you want something that's not quite as bulky, I'd look for a Dark Rock 4 or Dark Rock Slim from be quiet.
  • Motherboard: I put in the B550 Aorus Pro AC since the Strix B550-F (which it competes with) is only $4 cheaper and lacks WIFI. By all means though, if you don't care about the WIFI and you prefer the look of the Strix, you could go for that instead.
  • Memory: Not much to say here - 32GB could come in handy for what you do outside of gaming, and 3600 CL16 is a good choice in terms of speed, if you just want to enable XMP and be done with it.
  • Storage: PCIe 4.0 offers... barely any real-world difference over 3.0 drives, especially considering your use cases. Also, considering your budget, you could just ditch the spinning rust and go all solid state.
  • GPU: Also not a whole lot to say. The TUF is generally among the cheapest 3080 models and it's a great performer. If you don't care about all the Nvidia specific features, the 6800XT should also be a solid choice, if you can get your hands on one.
  • Case: Considering you'll be putting in 300W+ of GPU power, you'll want some good case airflow and Fractal's Define cases really aren't the best in that department. The recently released Meshify 2 is a lot better in that aspect, comes in a solid side panel variant, and is also pretty clean looking if you ask me.
  • PSU: You don't need 850W, but the RM850x looks to be available for less than other 750W units that are comparable terms of quality at the moment, so might as well take advantage of that discount.

For the monitor, I would consider the LG 27GL850-B and the ASUS VG27AQ. Rtings has put out reviews of both monitors, which you can check out below if you're interested:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC