Raspberry Pi 400 Keyboard. Suitable as a PC?

whm1974

So I watched and read a few reviews of this ARM based PC and while a bit slow for such uses, the complete kit is only $100.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/raspberry-pi-400-the-under-100-desktop-pc-you-didnt-know-you-needed/

Now I never messed around with the SBCs so I would know how they are like using. But wondering what everyone's opinion of this Keyboard PC is? Does anybody on this Forum have one yet, or are they too new?

Maybe I'll point this out to those that need a cheap PC but can't spend much.🤔

Yeah it's a great idea for running basic linux app.

If you really want to cheap out, a used core 2 duo can be under $100, and it will perform much better than this.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah it's a great idea for running basic linux app.

If you really want to cheap out, a used core 2 duo can be under $100, and it will perform much better than this.

I rather get a Notebook using a Core 2 Quad... But back to the Subject... I wonder if or when there is going to be a Model with 8GB Memory and proper size Ports?

Not gonna work imo, ARM isn't ready to be a daily driver for most people.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not gonna work imo, ARM isn't ready to be a daily driver for most people.

Would be anywhere nearly as quick as my Thinkpad 430 /4GB but for a cheap very Basic PC, this will meet some Folks needs. For YouTube and Streaming Services I would lower to 720P@30fps at the most for video watching.

For an Office Suite? I'm sure LibreOffice will work. Or Google Docs perhaps?

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Would be anywhere nearly as quick as my Thinkpad 430 /4GB but for a cheap very Basic PC, this will meet some Folks needs. For YouTube and Streaming Services I would lower to 720P@30fps at the most for video watching.

For an Office Suite? I'm sure LibreOffice will work. Or Google Docs perhaps?

No, absolutely not, the Thinkpad will smash the Pi in every way possible.

If you want to get someone a cheap little computer for browser stuff, get a Chromebook.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, absolutely not, the Thinkpad will smash the Pi in every way possible.

If you want to get someone a cheap little computer for browser stuff, get a Chromebook.

Oops I meant to say wouldn't be... Sorry about that.

A Chromebook? Oh Please...

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Oops I meant to say wouldn't be... Sorry about that.

A Chromebook? Oh Please...

You're considering a Pi 400 for a daily driver, but poo-poo a Chromebook? lol

Believe me, if all they're doing is Google Docs and YouTube, Chromebook will be the best option under $100. Either that or used Thinkpad.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You're considering a Pi 400 for a daily driver, but poo-poo a Chromebook? lol

Believe me, if all they're doing is Google Docs and YouTube, Chromebook will be the best option under $100. Either that or used Thinkpad.

I rather have the Refub Thinkpad. That is what mine is. It uses a notebook Ivy Bridge i5. I gotten it to test Linux Distros and to use as a Spare Computer just in case...

I would prefer a used thinkpad as a daily driver since T420s routinely go for <$100. On the other hand, from what I've heard the Raspberry Pi 400 can be OC'd to upwards of 2GHz without any cooling modifications and still be reasonably stable, so for tinkering I think it could be pretty neat. I'm not at the point where I would consider one for a daily driver, though.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So I watched and read a few reviews of this ARM based PC and while a bit slow for such uses, the complete kit is only $100.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/raspberry-pi-400-the-under-100-desktop-pc-you-didnt-know-you-needed/

Now I never messed around with the SBCs so I would know how they are like using. But wondering what everyone's opinion of this Keyboard PC is? Does anybody on this Forum have one yet, or are they too new?

Maybe I'll point this out to those that need a cheap PC but can't spend much.🤔

I'm a big rpi fan, but if this is going to be a daily driver (or your only pc) then there are much better options for $100. It would, however be a fun mobile pc to screw around with when you already have a 'real' PC.

31 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

I would prefer a used thinkpad as a daily driver since T420s routinely go for <$100. On the other hand, from what I've heard the Raspberry Pi 400 can be OC'd to upwards of 2GHz without any cooling modifications and still be reasonably stable, so for tinkering I think it could be pretty neat. I'm not at the point where I would consider one for a daily driver, though.

Well one could order a Pinebook Pro if you don't mind waiting until the Company gets enough Orders in to be worth getting a bunch made and shipped to the US from China.

Reading and watching more about this, I'm not sure why this exist. I mean unless the buyer(s) reuses a TV or moniter w/ HDMI they already have, wouldn't a refurbish decent spec notebook cost the same?

I purchased my Thinkpad 430 for $160 including shipping, so why bother with this? Granted for those who are into SBCs such as the RPi this may have some value.