Let's talk about these parts (and my question).

Hi y'all, I have a question. Can I run a potentiometer designed for 3.3v off 5v USB? I want to integrate it into the USB motor I put together (in my profile pic and one of the photos) and hoped I could just solder it to the USB plug. Any help appriciated!
Anyway, here are some photos of old parts/devices I found at my dad's work (there was an old computer) or my dad's friend gave it to me (upgraded his son's PC). I wanted to talk about them, but no one is interested. Ask me anything!

Photos.zip

-> Moved to Hobby Electronics

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A potentiometer is not typically rated for any voltage.  It may be rated for some power (ex 0.1 watts)  but not voltage.

Digital potentiometers will have a maximum voltage rating, but if you have an issue with that, you're not using the potentiometer correctly.

as for the pictures... could you make them more blurry? 

first one's a basic (probably c-media)  pci sound card.  could use the electrolytic capacitors and that transistor for something if you want otherwise you could probably sell it for 2$

2nd picture dell radeon hd 2400  : https://www.amazon.com/Dell-WX085-ad-rv610le-PCI-Express-Compatible/dp/B00DEQ39PU

3,4 floppy and optical drive ... optical drive could still be useful for ripping audio cds or to install windows on ancient pcs that can't boot from usb

5 video card, maybe fast enough to be worth keeping.

6,7 power supplies ... if the first is corsair, probably worth keeping... 2nd psu is shit, use it for parts at best

8 looks like an ok 19" benq lcd monitor, some people like the 4:3 aspect ratio and that shoud have a decent resolution like 1400x900 or something like that. worth keeping

it's cfl backlight based, and the monitors in that time had shitty power supplies with capacitors that tended to die ... if that monitor starts resetting randomly or going black, high chance you just need to replace some capacitors inside the power supply and it will work again.  If the backlight tubes are failing, it's not worth repairing... but i guess could experiment with replacing backlight with led strip and led backlight controller.

5 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Is the optical drive IDE or SATA?

IDE, but I found an adapter to SATA.

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

A potentiometer is not typically rated for any voltage.  It may be rated for some power (ex 0.1 watts)  but not voltage.

Digital potentiometers will have a maximum voltage rating, but if you have an issue with that, you're not using the potentiometer correctly.

as for the pictures... could you make them more blurry? 

first one's a basic (probably c-media)  pci sound card.  could use the electrolytic capacitors and that transistor for something if you want otherwise you could probably sell it for 2$

2nd picture dell radeon hd 2400  : https://www.amazon.com/Dell-WX085-ad-rv610le-PCI-Express-Compatible/dp/B00DEQ39PU

3,4 floppy and optical drive ... optical drive could still be useful for ripping audio cds or to install windows on ancient pcs that can't boot from usb

5 video card, maybe fast enough to be worth keeping.

6,7 power supplies ... if the first is corsair, probably worth keeping... 2nd psu is shit, use it for parts at best

8 looks like an ok 19" benq lcd monitor, some people like the 4:3 aspect ratio and that shoud have a decent resolution like 1400x900 or something like that. worth keeping

it's cfl backlight based, and the monitors in that time had shitty power supplies with capacitors that tended to die ... if that monitor starts resetting randomly or going black, high chance you just need to replace some capacitors inside the power supply and it will work again.  If the backlight tubes are failing, it's not worth repairing... but i guess could experiment with replacing backlight with led strip and led backlight controller.

I'm trying to fix that monitor, there are like 5 dead capacitors that I have replacements for.

In that case, would you be willing to gift/sell it to me? I have been looking for a beige CD/DVD-ROM drive that uses IDE for my Pentium III tower, but have not been able to find one.

Mods:
If it goes anywhere, it will go to DMs. Don't worry.

elephants

• 3 weeks later...

@JankyTech A bit late on this, but the large red graphics card looks to be a GTX 780 or 780Ti -- a bit old at this point, but still fast enough to be useful.