PSU problem? Black screen - fans go full speed

Doltaro
Go to solution Solved by Juular,

I mean, i wouldn't pair this PSU with this GPU but this is very unlikely to be a PSU issue IMO, more like your GPU is unstable. Try to downclock it.

When I boot up certain games (including low demanding games) the screen goes off and the fans start spinning at full speed. The PC stays in this state until I manually shut it off by holding the power button. During this time, sound continues working (including communication such as via Discord).

I've been having this problem for a month now and it's driving me insane. It's a brand new system and the company who built it can't even find the problem, let alone fix it.

Event viewer shows absolutely nothing.

Reliability history shows the following hardware error:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffa20f69ac0010
Parameter 2: fffff8059c1ac188
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 3884
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:
LKD_0x193_DxgkrnlLiveDump:80F_Status_0xC0000017__dxgkrnl!DxgCreateLiveDumpWithWdLogs

It also shows that, during the time when the screen is black and the fans spin at full speed, the Desktop Windows Manager keeps crashing, about 6 times per minute.

Specs:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  
Case: Corsair 275R ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair CV 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  

Things I've tried:

• updated all drivers, including BIOS
  • Reinstalled windows. Tried different versions. On 4 different hard drives.
  • Replaced every single peripheral such as keyboard/mouse/screens/external cables
  • Replaced the power cable.
  • Stresstested all internal hardware
  • Checked cooling paste of the GPU (Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut)
  • Checked if all cables are properly attached.
  • Checked temparatures of CPU and GPU; nothing out of the ordinary
  • Checked voltage of the GPU, it spikes at 1.063v before the crash starts.

I've also installed an old GTX 770 to check the system with another GPU. That GTX uses an 8-pin power supply AND a 6-pin power supply. it will not work with only either. When I test my RTX card with MSI Afterburner, it shows a variable voltage of about 1.063v. When I test it with my old GTX, it will display a steady 1.200v (no fluctuation). There are no crashes when I use the old GTX.

It seems to me that it might either be the GPU or the PSU. The only problem with that is that the PC runs perfectly on the GTX GPU, which requires a higher voltage. On the other hand, no matter how I run Furmark to stresstest the GPU, a crash will not occur. It only happens when I boot certain games, or during a game, including games with low demand on the GPU.

I'm completely baffled.

EDIT: the System Builder shows the following note:

The Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CV 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

If this is the issue, why would this problem not appear for the GTX card which requires more power?

1 hour ago, Doltaro said:

If this is the issue, why would this problem not appear for the GTX card which requires more power?

not related. 

revert to running the memmory sticks at stock speeds, see if it helps. this does not sound like a PSU issue at all. 

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

revert to running the memmory sticks at stock speeds, see if it helps. this does not sound like a PSU issue at all. 

Thanks for the reply.

How should I revert the memory speed of the GPU? If I clock it back with MSI Afterburner, the problem persists.

EDIT: it seems that despite the MSI Afterburner settings, when booting a game, the GPU still overclocks itself. It seems to use the MSI settings only when I'm not actually using a game. This seems to be a boost, however. Accoring to GPU-Z, the GPU is at stock

I mean, i wouldn't pair this PSU with this GPU but this is very unlikely to be a PSU issue IMO, more like your GPU is unstable. Try to downclock it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Is it possible that the GPU is unstable while Furmark can't find any issue with it?

On 11/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, Juular said:

I ran some tests with the card severely underclocked, and it didn't crash anymore. Is there a fix to this issue, or can I scrape the card?

My rig had similar symptoms before GPU died.

I edit my posts more often than not

19 minutes ago, Doltaro said:

I ran some tests with the card severely underclocked, and it didn't crash anymore. Is there a fix to this issue, or can I scrape the card?

RMA it ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

RMA it ?

Yeah that will be my next step, then.

Consider this matter closed.

Thanks for the help!