ASUS Introduces the Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 Sound Cards

4960X
ASUS today announced the Essence STX II and Essence STX II 7.1 sound cards which build on the success and huge popularity of ASUS Essence STX. These two new Hi-Fi-grade sound cards are designed to delight audiophiles with 124 dB signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) clarity and a 600 ohm-headphone amplifier. ASUS claims that these are the world's first consumer sound card to deliver 124 db SNR audio clarity plus 600 ohm headphone amp.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/news/2014/asus-introduces-the-essence-stx-ii-and-essence-stx-ii-7-1-sound-cards/

Not going to lie, but aestheticly, they look awesome. I'd rather get a Dac/Amp, but for people who don't want more clutter on their desk, this can be a neat alternative.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

i would be completly ok if someone put an odac on a pcie card so i can have it inside my computer.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

as far as i was aware the issue that all the sound nerds had with sound cards was the output impedance(this ignores the interference issues). If someone make a card with an acceptable output impedance would that be approved by the LTT sound gods.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Not going to lie, but aestheticly, they look awesome. I'd rather get a Dac/Amp, but for people who don't want more clutter on their desk, this can be a neat alternative.

Duck tape it to the back of your monitor.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Holy crap, a dual slot audio card!

I wonder if they will need active cooling

Asus, make DACs already, no one wants sound cards anymore

Sound cards are internal DACs. If you wan't something external get something like the Essence III 

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Essence_III/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Holy crap, a dual slot audio card!

I wonder if they will need active cooling

Actually, the sound card isn't two slot. If you look closely, you'll see that it is actually the Essence STX and the Essence STX 7.1 placed next to each other.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

*grabs popcorn*

Dis gon be good.

I'll stick with internal audio for now since this is going to be expensive as hell.

Im guessing these are meant for portable media PC's where you are taking the PC and your mouse/keyboard.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Doesn't Linus have some kind of Asus amp/dac?

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Doesn't Linus have some kind of Asus amp/dac?

Is there anything that he doesn't have? :D

Is there anything that he doesn't have? :D

He doesn't have those USB butt plugs he promised...........

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Wert I have seen notjing about this, hmm ive seen a bunch about the essence III, which is something I could never hope to afford though.

No one needs DACs either. What they DO need is good amplifiers (for adequate headphones).

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

according to tech syndict
sound cards are a gimmick since the sound gets affected by alot of physical  stuff

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Looks nice and shiny, would have been worth considering for aesthetic reasons but not much point facing downwards.

sound cards are a gimmick since the sound gets affected by alot of physical  stuff

They are worth it for people who have issues with onboard and don't like having an external DAC, or if they have a feature you need. There's nothing wrong with sound cards in the right use case. As long as you understand what they do and understand that it doesn't magically make sound better.

MayflowerElectronics, on 15 Mar 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

I'll just leave this here.

Hopefully people can see this, and I suggest clicking the forecast option.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=sound%20card%2C%20headphone%20amp&cmpt=q

Nice comment on that article page.. ;)

according to tech syndict

sound cards are not a gimmick but Logan's face is though.