Windows 10 has disappeared after installing XP. Where did I go wrong?

Garlic

I am a total n00b when it comes to dual booting, and I thought that I would just give it a go with an old system with no important files on it.

I installed a spare SSD alongside the Win10 SSD that was already in the PC, inserted the WinXP CD and went on with the usual installation process, selecting the new SSD as the target drive and formatted it as one does.

After the installation I noticed that the Win10 drive showed up under WinXP as a normal drive, and that I could reach all of my files in the Win10 installation from XP. Upon restarting I expected to be greeted by a boot menu in which I could select the version of Windows to boot from, but the PC boots straight to XP. I uninstalled the Win10 drive from XP, placed the Win10 drive at the top of the boot order, and even tried to physically disconnect the XP drive from the PC, but no matter what I do the PC seems to be a Windows XP only system. With only the Win10 installed, I get a screen telling me that the PC failed to start because of a 'computer hardware configuration problem'.

So, trying to learn from my mistake, what did I do wrong? Is my Win10 installation salvageable? And how do I set the system up to allow me to choose which OS to boot from?

you installed win XP on your old drive.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Windows XP boot loader isn't going to recognize your Win10, when Win10 does not even exist during that time. It mostly overwrites whatever boot loader you currently have.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Damn, you are right. I am certain that I selected the right drive when I installed XP, but it has placed itself on my Win10 drive anyway.

I´ll reinstall and make sure to physically disconnect the other drive as I install each version of Windows.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Garlic said:

Damn, you are right. I am certain that I selected the right drive when I installed XP, but it has placed itself on my Win10 drive anyway.

I´ll reinstall and make sure to physically disconnect the other drive as I install each version of Windows.

Thanks.

If you want to truly dual boot, install XP. Then install Windows 10. Once you boot into Windows 10 you can edit the bootloader to show both OSes so you can select which one you want when you boot. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD